Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 24' enclosed race trailer, my current tire size is 205/75R15 with 15x7 rims. I'm needing new tires and I was wondering if maybe a larger tire might be better, like a 215 or 225. Any pros or cons?

I'm also thinking about new rims, ones that have a higher load and pressure rating. Are there any that I should look at or stay away from?

Thanks
Michael

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Stay away from any tires made in China. They are cheap junk. Try to stick with tires made in the USA or Canada. Not many of those left. I prefer Maxxis tires.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was wondering if maybe a larger tire might be better
What are you trying to make better? Capacity? ride or handling?

Bigger tires won't necessarily help but increasing the load rating can. As long as the ratings are sufficient for the GVWR of the trailer you won't gain much by going bigger. If you want a safety margin for weight then upgrade the load rating not the size. You may need to upgrade the rim to handle the higher pressures though.

Do you have room in the wheelwells to go bigger? A lot of trailers don't have a lot of clearance above or between the tires to go much taller or wider.
You'll also run into other problems with bigger tires like a decrease in MPGs, higher ramp angles and steps if the trailer is raised, hitch heights etc...

I'd recommend the Maxxis as well or if you want heavier duty the Goodyear G614s but they are pricey.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I build and sell trailers. I tell all my customers when the tires wear out, just replace them with light truck tires. Pay attention to the load capacity on the tires. as long as they are equal or hight than what are on there now, you will be fine.

Usually LT tires are cheaper and better quality than trailer duty tires.

Later

KO

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you trying to make better? Capacity? ride or handling?

Bigger tires won't necessarily help but increasing the load rating can. As long as the ratings are sufficient for the GVWR of the trailer you won't gain much by going bigger. If you want a safety margin for weight then upgrade the load rating not the size. You may need to upgrade the rim to handle the higher pressures though.

Do you have room in the wheelwells to go bigger? A lot of trailers don't have a lot of clearance above or between the tires to go much taller or wider.
You'll also run into other problems with bigger tires like a decrease in MPGs, higher ramp angles and steps if the trailer is raised, hitch heights etc...

I'd recommend the Maxxis as well or if you want heavier duty the Goodyear G614s but they are pricey.
I'm trying to decide between the Maxxis 205/75r15 and the 225/75r15, the 205 is D rated and the 225 is E rated, I am going to have to get new rims and they are going to be 6" wide with 2540' and 80psi rating. I was thinking the E rated ones for peace of mind.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Narrower trailer tires means less rolling resistance and a very slight improvement in towing mpg. But I guess also less road friction surface for trailer brakes.

I think D rated tires only go up to 65 psi.

Take your trailer GVWR and divide by number of tires. Then buy a tire rated higher than that number. Buying a lot higher is OK, but means rougher ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts