Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 2017 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, crewmax, 5.7. I installed bilstein 5160/6112 on the 3rd setting (1.9 inches lift in front) and toytec shackles on the highest setting (1.5 inches of lift). I also added falken wildpeak at3 tires in 275/70/18, load range E at 60 psi front and rear. I felt this was the right setup for towing and daily driving. I tow an eclipse toy hauler weighing about 7500 lbs (i've verified at scales).

I drove from southern California to June lake and experienced trailer sway for the majority of the drive. There were winds of about 20-30mph during the drive. I previously had a 2013 Tundra double cab, 5.7, 4x4 with fox 2.0 coilovers and coachbuilder shackles and bfg's load range E as well. Similar set up to what I have now, but I did not experience nearly as much sway as I am experiencing now with the new crew max. I am using the same weight distribution hitch and sway control as before.

I am wondering why the drive is so much less stable then my 2013 tundra. I am thinking I might invest in an equalizer hitch, but I would hate to spend the money and have the same problem. I gotta fix this sway problem as I didn't feel comfortable at all. Trailer is setup level with even load front to back.

What do you guys think is the problem? Here are pics of my new tundra and old.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your load should be slightly forward(tongue heavy), but if nothing has changed in how you are loading and hitching, that leaves the truck or winds as the differing factor.

Reactions: RIjon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've taken it out on 2 trips and both trips were windy. But even with the wind, I think it should have handled better. I felt I was constantly correcting the steering.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Any chance it could be your alignment (less caster on the new set up) so the truck wanders more?

·
Registered
695 Posts
It sounds like you have been in pretty windy conditions. 20-30- mph winds usually calls for warnings to high profile vehicles at least at the north end of US-395 in Cal. You should check your alignment as suggested if not done after the lift. You can also calculate a percentage of load on your truck as to the air pressure in your tires. My BFG A/T KO2 285-65-20 have a load rating at 3860 each with 80 psi. This is way more load ability than I need. So, I calculated the amount of load on the tires with my truck and Airstream loaded 7200 lbs. I put 47 PSI in the rear tires and 45 PSI in the fronts. I have air bags that I set to 45 PSI with the Airstream. But the biggest difference in trailer sway is this product.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/
It is expensive as hitches go, but it works and the other hitches do not even make sense. I look at the P3 hitch as insurance. All it takes is one big gust of wind while towing and you may not be around to tell the story.

Reactions: ottsville

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, that hitch is insanely expensive, but I am sold on it after some reading. I am looking at buying a TT this month and take it out at the end of next month. I am going to get this hitch, cannot put a price on safety.

It sounds like you have been in pretty windy conditions. 20-30- mph winds usually calls for warnings to high profile vehicles at least at the north end of US-395 in Cal. You should check your alignment as suggested if not done after the lift. You can also calculate a percentage of load on your truck as to the air pressure in your tires. My BFG A/T KO2 285-65-20 have a load rating at 3860 each with 80 psi. This is way more load ability than I need. So, I calculated the amount of load on the tires with my truck and Airstream loaded 7200 lbs. I put 47 PSI in the rear tires and 45 PSI in the fronts. I have air bags that I set to 45 PSI with the Airstream. But the biggest difference in trailer sway is this product.
https://www.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/
It is expensive as hitches go, but it works and the other hitches do not even make sense. I look at the P3 hitch as insurance. All it takes is one big gust of wind while towing and you may not be around to tell the story.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Those are all great suggestions. I got the truck aligned a few days after it was lifted and all the specs were in the green.

I'll try adjusting the psi in the tires and hopefully that'll help.

I really can't afford a $2500 hitch, I have read a lot of members are happy with their equalizer hitch. I think I may go that route if I can't figure this out with my current setup.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Could it be the tires? Had the problem with a car several years ago. New tires and it wondered all over the road. Took a few thousand miles for it to calm down.
Also, I have the $300 chained wdh with a friction swaybar that has to be manually tightened. Does a wonderful job. Dealt with up to 50-55 mph crosswinds. White knuckle driving but it did well. I had the swaybar as tight as I could turn it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a similar setup and weight with an Attitude by eclipse. I'm running 35in BFG ko2s at 50psi all around. I use an EAZ Trekker hitch with 1000 lb bars and have not experienced any sway problems. I have towed in some bad winds coming back from Vegas last year, but that just sucked due to the wind. The Trekker works similar to the equalizer, no chains to mess with and takes me about 10-15 to hook up.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a similar setup and weight with an Attitude by eclipse. I'm running 35in BFG ko2s at 50psi all around. I use an EAZ Trekker hitch with 1000 lb bars and have not experienced any sway problems. I have towed in some bad winds coming back from Vegas last year, but that just sucked due to the wind. The Trekker works similar to the equalizer, no chains to mess with and takes me about 10-15 to hook up.
That makes me believe my truck can handle it and that I am not setup properly, either my alignment or hitch setup isn't setup properly. Thanks for your input.

Could it be the tires? Had the problem with a car several years ago. New tires and it wondered all over the road. Took a few thousand miles for it to calm down.
Also, I have the $300 chained wdh with a friction swaybar that has to be manually tightened. Does a wonderful job. Dealt with up to 50-55 mph crosswinds. White knuckle driving but it did well. I had the swaybar as tight as I could turn it.
That's the same type of wdh I have and I do the same tightening the swaybar as tight as possible. I'll adjust my tire pressure and we'll see if the tires are the culprit.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just bought a new 2017 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, crewmax, 5.7. I installed bilstein 5160/6112 on the 3rd setting (1.9 inches lift in front) and toytec shackles on the highest setting (1.5 inches of lift). I also added falken wildpeak at3 tires in 275/70/18, load range E at 60 psi front and rear. I felt this was the right setup for towing and daily driving. I tow an eclipse toy hauler weighing about 7500 lbs (i've verified at scales).

... winds of about 20-30mph during the drive.

I am thinking I might invest in an equalizer hitch...

What WDH do you have now? It is likely not set up correctly. That is absolutely #1 on the list.

You could also add more PSI to those LT's. 65-70psi easy.

Jumping into a Hensley or Propride will not only solve but eliminate your sway issues. I highly recommend 1400lb bars with that size trailer, but you still need to know all your weights to be assured you are balanced and set up properly. Do not use the Propride/Hensley as a Band-Aid for a poor set up.

20-30mph winds will be felt by any set up, just as they are by Semis and Busses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What WDH do you have now? It is likely not set up correctly. That is absolutely #1 on the list.

You could also add more PSI to those LT's. 65-70psi easy.

Jumping into a Hensley or Propride will not only solve but eliminate your sway issues. I highly recommend 1400lb bars with that size trailer, but you still need to know all your weights to be assured you are balanced and set up properly. Do not use the Propride/Hensley as a Band-Aid for a poor set up.

20-30mph winds will be felt by any set up, just as they are by Semis and Busses.
I have an EAZ-lift 1000 lbs wdh with sway control (chain link setup). I'll review my wdh setup, add/washers, more weight to the front, etc...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have an EAZ-lift 1000 lbs wdh with sway control (chain link setup). I'll review my wdh setup, add/washers, more weight to the front, etc...
That is a low end WDH, and you're probably light on bar ratings at 1000lbs as I bet your tongue weight is 1000lbs or slightly over.

At least adjustment of this is free compared to $2000 for a Hensley or Propride. And on that note, if you do take the plunge, do not pay over $2000 shipped. Call and deal. They both negotiate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently towed a 6000lbs, 33' travel trailer with a cheap but solid-as-an-anvil Curt WDH. Got more sway than I would like in some high crosswinds but I slowed down a bit from 65 and tapped the trailer brakes a couple times and all was well. I also loaded the trailer a bit more hitch-heavy on the way back and had zero issues at all with similar conditions. Tires are KO2's, ran about 61psi all around. I may try max sidewall next time but I didn't feel the weight was enough to justify it.

Stock 4x4, 2016 Tundra with 20"TSS wheels, bone stock otherwise with no sway bars, etc.

The real problem is the gutter-trash integrated brake controller. I set it to a gain of 10 and still didn't get much trailer braking at all, it was obvious. Tried anywhere from 3 to 7 or so with the electric over hydraulic setting and it was either not much different or like stabbing at the brakes when the IBC engaged. I'm going to check with the dealer to see if they can do anything for me. From all the other threads on the topic I assume I'm going to have to get a P3 at some point.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I set it to a gain of 10 and still didn't get much trailer braking at all, it was obvious. Tried anywhere from 3 to 7 or so with the electric over hydraulic setting and it was either not much different or like stabbing at the brakes when the IBC engaged. I'm going to check with the dealer to see if they can do anything for me. From all the other threads on the topic I assume I'm going to have to get a P3 at some point.
Ironic...I just mentioned this exact scenario earlier today.

This issue is not the brake controller, its a tell-tale sign the drum brakes need adjustment. Most drum brakes out there require manual adjustment periodically.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.