Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not a Tundra-specific project, but i thought a lot of guys, especially those with lifted Tundras, might find it a good project. I thought I would share my experiences with doing the spring-over conversion using the Dexter Axle kits from eTrailer.com, especially since the provided instructions were a bit sketchy and there were no illustrations.

First step, jack the trailer off the ground and secure on jack stands. Ideally, you will lift the whole trailer onto four jack stands so that you can detach both sides at once and reattach the axles while they are level. I only had two stands so I had to do one side at a time, which meant I had to temporarily attach the axles on the first side at an angle, switch to the second side, then return to the first and reset and do a final tightening. If I were to do it again I'd invest in another pair of stands.

So, with the wheels off the ground, remove the wheels. Place a jack under the axle to support it. Jack it just enough so the axle is neither hanging from the springs, nor pushing up on them. Remove the shackle bolts, links, and springs.

Thread the spacer nuts onto the new perches. I made sure to thread them on equally so that would be easier to establish a parallel setup compared to the original perches. The point is that these spacers will pass by the axle on either side and rest on the original perch, forcing the new perch to be level, but not supporting the new perch, which must fully contact the axle.

Place the perch/spacer assembly directly over the center of the old perch and adjust the spacer nuts down equally until they just contact the original, welded perch. As I did this I would take the top perch which was resting fully on the axle and rotate it, touching the front and back spacers, to get a feel for how how much adjustment I still needed to do. When I was sure that the perch was still fully contacting the axle and both spacers were touching the perch I checked my work with calipers, comparing the height of the front to that of the back.

The instructions say that the perch should be level within 1/32", but I found that I was within a couple thousandths very quickly. With that done, I reassembled the springs, links and shackle bolts. The shackle bolts have a knurled shaft that has to be pressed into the shackle hole. I used a c-clamp and socket to accomplish it thusly:

With all the original suspension buttoned up I maneuvered the axle into position so the hole in the perch nestled over the leaf bolt. Jacked it a bit just to get everything firmed (not too much, you don't want to bend the axle). Dropped the plate on top.

Put the U bolts on and snugged them up. Then, I put a put a jack under the original perch and jacked it so that the suspension was carrying the weight (see that the frame is off the jackstand). Then I torqued to 60 lbs.

And that's about it. Put the wheels back on. I got about a 5" lift out of the deal. It took me about 5 hours, but I'm sure it would have saved 2+ hours with a second pair of stands. Word to the wise, order a couple of extra shackle bolts along with the kit as they are easy to cross-thread.

Reactions: COCampfire

·
Registered
415 Posts
very cool!

I think we need a before and after shot!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very cool!

I think we need a before and after shot!!
It's on my to-do list. As soon as I get that shackle bolt I cross-threaded swapped out... told ya it was cheap insurance to buy a bolt or two!

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Why can't the axle just be turned 180 degrees?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Why can't the axle just be turned 180 degrees?
Because of the torsional bow built into the axle. (The wheels would have very bad neg camber)

Excellent job! I built a ATV trailer with a mean lift for this same reason, sure helps offroad :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, here is the original stance:

And here is the lifted version after the Dexter Spring-Over Conversion:

That's about 5" of difference, which is the difference between having to hit the drive at the perfect angle and have the plumbing slightly scrape the sidewalk, versus going out any way I want and still having 2-3" of clearance. Nice!

·
Registered
415 Posts
very nicely done! That is a HUGE difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts