Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a 2010 4/4 double cab with the tow package. He has a bass boat. He is not able to back his boat in reverse while hooked up to his truck. The boat has surge brakes and has to be connected to the truck in order to back up the trailer . He has taken the truck to the dealer and they hooked up the computer to it for a diagnostic scan checking the fuses and relays. Tests showed no problems. I can take my 2010 tundra and hook his boat up to my trailer wiring plug and the trailer backs up in reverse with no problem. All of his lights work fine. The trucks wiring plug apparently isn't sending a reverse signal to the boat.
Any ideas what could be wrong with his?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My pop up camper has surge brakes on it. When backing it up, especially up an incline, the surge brakes will engage by design and keep the trailer from backing up. If the grade is level or down hill, the surge brake controller on the trailer tongue may not engage and hence allow the trailer to back up.

At the tongue of my trailer is a lever which has to be slid to the back up position to go up and incline. This disengages the the surge brakes from applying. Going forward again automatically returns this lever to the forward position and then the surge brakes will work when stopping. For me this backing up an incline is a real pain in the butt when levelling the camper.

A trailer with surge brakes does not need electricity from the truck to apply the brakes. Hence his electrical system checked out okay. Have him try backing up his trailer without plugging in the trailer cord. Are both trucks trying to back up the boat trailer in the same location and conditions?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This will allow him to easily verify the backup signal is being sent:

I presume he has an electronic override for his surge brakes. Older trailers with surge brakes had a bypass valve, and some simply don't have an override (a vise grip on the hydraulic hose can be used in a pinch).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My pop up camper has surge brakes on it. When backing it up, especially up an incline, the surge brakes will engage by design and keep the trailer from backing up. If the grade is level or down hill, the surge brake controller on the trailer tongue may not engage and hence allow the trailer to back up.

At the tongue of my trailer is a lever which has to be slid to the back up position to go up and incline. This disengages the the surge brakes from applying. Going forward again automatically returns this lever to the forward position and then the surge brakes will work when stopping. For me this backing up an incline is a real pain in the butt when levelling the camper.

A trailer with surge brakes does not need electricity from the truck to apply the brakes. Hence his electrical system checked out okay. Have him try backing up his trailer without plugging in the trailer cord. Are both trucks trying to back up the boat trailer in the same location and conditions?
Yes,
Both my truck and his are backing the trailer in the same location and condition. My truck will work but his will not. The trailer gets a signal when the truck is put in reverse. We used a voltage meter and tested the plug in on by the hitch. We could not get any "voltage" on the center of the plug-in which is for the back up lights (according to diagram on plug-in cover).
These are boat trailers are designed to "lock up" when going in reverse while not connected to the truck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The trailer will not back up when the trailer cord is not plugged in.
These trailers must get a signal through the plug when the truck is in reverse. The signal allows the trailer to go into reverse when the ball/hitch is putting pressure on the trailer tounge (which would normally lock the brakes).

·
Registered
66 Posts
The trailer will not back up when the trailer cord is not plugged in.
These trailers must get a signal through the plug when the truck is in reverse. The signal allows the trailer to go into reverse when the ball/hitch is putting pressure on the trailer tounge (which would normally lock the brakes).
I guess my trailers never had this feature. The surge brake unit must need an electrical input to release the brakes for the backward motion where my units have the manual lever. The manual lever is a real pain in the butt if there is a slight incline or trying to back up onto blocks for leveling the pop up camper.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Yes,
Both my truck and his are backing the trailer in the same location and condition. My truck will work but his will not. The trailer gets a signal when the truck is put in reverse. We used a voltage meter and tested the plug in on by the hitch. We could not get any "voltage" on the center of the plug-in which is for the back up lights (according to diagram on plug-in cover).
These are boat trailers are designed to "lock up" when going in reverse while not connected to the truck.
Did you get voltage on yours testing it the exact same way? If so, bring both your truck and his back to the shop and show the tech the issue. Or take a video of it. Unless they tested the trailer plug, that computer isn't going to show them jack about that.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Are there fuses in there for the back up lights?
According to that PDF you looked at, yep.

10A BK/UP LP

Stick your head under there and look up, you'll see the fuse box. But you said the dealership checked all the fuses, so I would assume they checked these as well?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It is not really behind the kick panel, merely close to it.
You do not need to remove the kick panel.
Just look up under the dash, left hand side. It is tucked way up there. Stupid place to put it. The fuse panel has a cover on it, that when removed looks like this

1 - 15 of 15 Posts