Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, this weekend I'm going to California and if my wife's grandpa doesn't sell his horse before the weekend, I will pull it back to AZ. I believe it's a single horse trailer, with that said, would it be ok to pull it without a controller? I don't want to go and buy one, when I don't pull anything with my truck, ever. Thanks

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that? The MIL asked I'd we could take it and I said yea, mainly because I figured it couldn't be that heavy but don't know the specifics

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Personally, I would not do it, however, if the weight is pretty low you will likely be alright as long as you don't encounter any emergency braking situations. Keep in mind though, in CA it is illegal to tow more than 1500 pounds without working trailer brakes and in AZ it becomes illegal at 3000 pounds. If you don't want to purchase a controller, maybe you can borrow one from someone?

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I thought they were hard wired to trucks? Well ill check with some friends and see if anyone has one. Thanks for your help!

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
If you have the tow package and you know someone else who owns a Tundra and installed a Techonosha controller using the Techonosha cable then you can literally just disconnect the cable from their truck and plug it into your truck (I think there is also a ground), literally that simple, otherwise, you may also be able to rent one at UHaul.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh well uhaul it is because none of my friends have the sense to get a tundra lol

Reactions: 2010

· F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,701 Posts
A plain jane double horse steel trailer usually weighs around 2000-3000 pounds. Add in a horse that weighs about 1000 pounds of live moving weight and you are over the legal weight requiring a trailer brake in most states.

Having said that, many bass boat trailers do not have trailer brakes. The trailer, boat and engine weighs around 3000 pounds. Then you add in all the gear, gasoline, and possibly water in the live well and that's a lot. My Tundra has no problem hauling my bass boat without trailer brakes. 50 gallons of gasoline and 50(?) gallon live well adds a lot of weight (700+ pounds). But I don't take long trips with it and I leave plenty of room for stopping.

Reactions: dsmwil

13,701 Posts
Ahh well uhaul it is because none of my friends have the sense to get a tundra lol
Borrow their brake controller and then spend $15 on the wire for the Tundra.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like I needed more information before asking this question lol

13,701 Posts
Almost any brake controller will work. I own the P3. The digital display makes it quick and easy to set it up or adjust for different size trailers. Should be easy to sell it later if you no longer need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.