Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me a 2013 Tundra last weekend. My 4.6L just wasn’t cutting it towing the new travel trailer :( If I kept my travels in-state, I could live with the 4.6L, but we’re planning on crossing the Rockies next spring, and I don’t want to beat it like a rented mule for 2800 miles.

I kept my options open….. F150 (5.0 V8) was the other possibility. EcoBoost still has too many issues. I searched the Internet for hours looking at reliability ratings, owner satisfaction, and performance numbers. Test drove the F150 extra cab and Tundra 5.7L DC. Two things brought me to choose Toyota: 1) Reliability and, 2) comfort.

No truck is perfect, but Tundra simply has fewer issues compared to any other full size pickup….period. Towing across the country with a sound engine/drivetrain package means more to me than anything else. The only downside for me is the 5.7’s appetite for gas. That’s where the competition is excelling. Other than that, I’ve truly enjoyed owning the 2012 Tundra and can’t get myself to risk owning anything else.

By the way, this 5.7 is incredible :D

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Congrats. Looking good. Yes, 5.7 is a beast. I guess you now have to rewrite your signature.

Reactions: nwtundra

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
You lasted way longer than me. I had the 4.6 for less than a month and traded it in. In regards to mpg, I get slightly better with the 5.7 than I was with the 4.6. Congrats on the new toy.

Please ignore RR. We keep telling him to stop posting pics of guys ripping their shirts off but he keeps doing it. As long as he doesn't move to pants, we tolerate it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You lasted way longer than me. I had the 4.6 for less than a month and traded it in. In regards to mpg, I get slightly better with the 5.7 than I was with the 4.6. Congrats on the new toy.
I gotta be honest with you. I felt like a dumbass having to trade in a perfectly good truck one year after buying it. I didn't walk in with my underwear down around my ankles, but I still took a hit. Oh well, a lesson learned.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Lots of 4.6 vs. 5.7 discussions on here from prospective buyers and current owners. My opinion is that the people who know for sure they will be happy in the long term with the performance and capability of the 4.6 don't need to agonize about it on a forum, they just go buy one. Many of the ones who are on the fence and back and fourth about it are often just trying to talk themselves out of spending a couple grand extra on a truck they hope to live with, day in and day out, for the next 5-10 years. We see how that works out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm kinda kicking myself for not going with a 5.7. I figure that in a few years I'll look for a nice low mileage 2013 with a 5.7 to trade my 2010 4.6 on. What wheels do you have? They look really nice.
Thanks. Wheels are Vision #375 Warrior. Dealer let me swap wheels from my old truck. Nice guys.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's the ticket, nw - reliability and more reliability. Other stuff is icing on zee cake.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
somewhat correct for me eharri. I had spent the previous day negotiating and getting the deal I wanted. We couldn't find the truck I wanted so was about to leave and the sales manager found one in the computer that had arrived that day. It hadn't been processed yet, still had the shipping vinyl on it, didn't have their dealer stickers on it and was tucked away in the back lot. It was literally right off the delivery truck. We went to look at it but it was 8:45pm and no moon so I didn't notice it wasn't the 5.7. I told them that was the one but had to talk to the wife and would be back the next morning. Went back in the am, said let's do it but I wanted to go over the truck and drive it since I didn't see it well the night before. As soon as we walked out to it I noticed it was the 4.6. Bummed. But by that time I was tired of negotiating and had let the new truck venom take hold and went ahead with the deal. Over the next couple of weeks I started regretting just from the fact it's harder to find aftermarket parts for the 4.6. I figured if I didn't at least find out if I could get into the 5.7 I'd regret not finding out so I talked to my sales manager if for nothing else, just to see what it would take. So I call and he says to me "it just so happens that we did a dealer trade with Dallas and received your truck on the lot today. It's your truck, exactly, with the 5.7. Here, let me send you a picture." ... end of story.

I do think the better advertised mpg for the 4.6 helps sway some from the 5.7 but as I said earlier, I get better mpg on the 5.7 than I did on the 4.6. It's probably because of the way I drive and having more power gets the same weight up to speed faster, negating any savings on the 4.6.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
As you describe on last paragraph, ITS THE GETTING IT UP TO SPEED that kills gas. Once you are in 6th gear the 4.6 might get you better but in city the 5.7 has the advantage.
IF you tow ANYTHING QUITE OFTEN, the choice is clear on a gasser. THE 5.7!

somewhat correct for me eharri. I had spent the previous day negotiating and getting the deal I wanted. We couldn't find the truck I wanted so was about to leave and the sales manager found one in the computer that had arrived that day. It hadn't been processed yet, still had the shipping vinyl on it, didn't have their dealer stickers on it and was tucked away in the back lot. It was literally right off the delivery truck. We went to look at it but it was 8:45pm and no moon so I didn't notice it wasn't the 5.7. I told them that was the one but had to talk to the wife and would be back the next morning. Went back in the am, said let's do it but I wanted to go over the truck and drive it since I didn't see it well the night before. As soon as we walked out to it I noticed it was the 4.6. Bummed. But by that time I was tired of negotiating and had let the new truck venom take hold and went ahead with the deal. Over the next couple of weeks I started regretting just from the fact it's harder to find aftermarket parts for the 4.6. I figured if I didn't at least find out if I could get into the 5.7 I'd regret not finding out so I talked to my sales manager if for nothing else, just to see what it would take. So I call and he says to me "it just so happens that we did a dealer trade with Dallas and received your truck on the lot today. It's your truck, exactly, with the 5.7. Here, let me send you a picture." ... end of story.

I do think the better advertised mpg for the 4.6 helps sway some from the 5.7 but as I said earlier, I get better mpg on the 5.7 than I did on the 4.6. It's probably because of the way I drive and having more power gets the same weight up to speed faster, negating any savings on the 4.6.

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,424 Posts
Nice Truck. The 5.7 L has the added benefit of Mr. Creo not picking on you.

*BONUS*... :D

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The 4.6 needs to be put into the TACOMA too, but Toyota is counting beans and not giving what their customers want. After all they put the Tacoma 4 liter v6 into the Tundra, at least they did not try to eccobust it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts