Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 11 years and 224,000 km (140,000 miles) my wife and I decided it was time to trade in the Tundra. It has been a great truck, best vehicle I ever had with nearly zero issues in all that time. Towed a lot of miles with it and the family had a lot of fun and memories with it.

With the new trailer maxing out the Tundra and a couple of concerns lately such as the oil pressure dropping after towing and now starting after coming off the highway it was time to trade it in. We bought a new 2019 Ram 3500 SRW with the 6.7 Cummins engine. Looking forward to towing with this and hoping for a reliable truck.

It's been great on the forum and lots of fun and help the few times I needed it. My wife and I were really wishing that Toyota would get into the heavy duty market and might have waited if that was likely but everything I have read and heard this won't be happening soon if at all.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good luck! I never checked out Dodge when I was truck shopping but I found GM and Ford were a good bit more expensive than Toyota but then again like you said Toyota doesn't have a one ton option..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much weight were you towing with the Tundra?
New trailer weighs in at 9500 lbs. I was also about 300 lbs over payload. Tundra towed the trailer pretty good so no issues there and sad to see the Tundra go. Previous trailer that I towed for 9 years was 7500 lbs loaded. Main issue was the dropping oil pressure. It first started when towing and everything was hot. Would come to a stop and oil pressure would fall to about 1/2 of normal idle. This past summer pressure started dropping to 1/2 of normal just coming off the highway without towing. Went to 5W30 and it helped a bit but still noticeable drop in pressure.

Mechanic friend of mine suggested that it could be an oil pump getting weak or main bearing clearances getting bigger. Tundra had 225,000 KM (140,000 miles) on it and either scenario was going to be big bucks so when shocks came up to be replaced it was time to trade it in.

Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts