Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of driving though a dealership...

2013 Demo Platinum w/15k miles, remainder of manufacturer warranty and then rest of Toyota Certified Used Warranty - ~$41k

I would trade my, paid off, 2010 Limited with 86k miles - ~24k

Cost of trade would be ~20k includes taxes, paperwork etc.

My Tundra runs fine, 12 month old tires, needs 80k maint done, rear window motor replaced, has some minor cosmetic issues on driver’s door and tailgate.

No major mods other than Road Armor, Line-Xtra'ed bumper that I might remove before trade (if I do it). I figure total spend over next 2 years on maint and other repairs might reach 3k.

I like not having a truck payment, but I hate the 2014's so if I drive my current Truck till the wheels fall off, which was my original plan I may not get a Tundra again unless body style changes again.

What would you do?

I like not having a truck payment, but I hate the 2014's so if I drive my current Truck till the wheels fall off, which was my original plan I may not get a Tundra again unless body style changes again.

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I don't know why you would want to. Based on the fact that your current Tundra has 86K on it, if you get the new one you are going to be right back at 80K on it in two years but you will still have a payment. Plus, it sounds like your 10 has been a good truck. If you are just into the bling of the Platinum then I guess go for it but 20K seems like a lot to fork over for essentially the same truck with more "features" and less miles...be better off paying yourself that payment into your savings account for the same amount of time you would have financed.

Oh...and I have a feeling that a lot of you guys who say they don't like the 2014 Tundra will be singing a different tune once they actually hit the streets so don't totally give up on it just yet.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Not worth it... I don't like the Limited or Platinums lol. I hate factory NAV systems, hate the wood grain, wife hates leather, etc... Not worth it. My SR5 is loaded except leather, and sonar. It even has the sunroof.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I beleive this is financially unwise, not saying I won't do it. I will toss out an aggresive final offer and they can take it or leave it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There's no way I'd do it, $20,000 is a LOT of money (for me anyway), and I couldn't see droppping that kind of dough when the current truck fills my needs and runs well. If you have $20,000 burning a hole in your pocket, go for it; or maybe buy a couple of dirtbikes or a boat, or harley, or sea-doo or ............. you get the point.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you're wanting the creature comforts of the Platinum, why not save yourself the payment and order custom leather, dash kit, advent navi, new speakers and save yourself $17K? Do all your maintenance and you're still ahead $16.5K!

·
Premium Member
11,751 Posts
If you're wanting the creature comforts of the Platinum, why not save yourself the payment and order custom leather, dash kit, advent navi, new speakers and save yourself $17K? Do all your maintenance and you're still ahead $16.5K!
x2.

Sounds like it's time to spiff up your truck and make like new to "you" :D

·
"Missing a Few Liters"
4,424 Posts
X3

Time to Mod. 82k is 1/2 life.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hell if you spend $4K upgrading the truck now, drive it another 100K and the motor explodes - you've still got $16K to buy a new motor and do it all over again!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Oh...and I have a feeling that a lot of you guys who say they don't like the 2014 Tundra will be singing a different tune once they actually hit the streets so don't totally give up on it just yet.
Not unless they have a model without that stupid big ass stamped TUNDRA in the tailgate. That's hideous.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not unless they have a model without that stupid big ass stamped TUNDRA in the tailgate. That's hideous.
Not a fan of the stamped logo, or the logo on the handle.
I do like the new rear bumper, and the location of the trailer plugs.

I'd not paid much attention to the 2014 until you said it had a stamped logo on it. Makes it hard to debadge :lol5:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

I'd not paid much attention to the 2014 until you said it had a stamped logo on it. Makes it hard to debadge :lol5:

Yeah, the trailer plugs are in a good spot, the bumper is okay, but the entire tailgate makes me want to puke.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I had a solid 2.5 years without a car payment after I sent in the last 360 bucks on my 04 Dakota and I miss it badly. I will be there in less than a year with my Tundra and will not give that situation up again so quickly. But then again I probably still won't have 45000 miles when mine is paid off.

When you see what a couple years' worth of car payments to yourself can do for improving your own wealth as opposed to making a finance company wealthier it will make you rethink your attitude about vehicles. Unfortunately most people are not without payments long enough to really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

That's a weird angle shot - looks like it's part dually on the right rear (it's the reflection of the right front off the ground)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Keeping the limited is the wise decision.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Definitely It's not worth it. If there's nothing wrong with your truck beside regular maintenance and minor repair... Figure, your truck at 80k and by the time you'll have major issue is not going to be for a while.. I'll save the $20k for the next couple year plus saving and drop it on something you really want down the line... There is not difference from other model beside options which most of it I'll swap out anyways... The only thing you probably carry over is the platinum logo... If i do a trade, I might go with RW edition and spend the extra money on mod to the way you want..

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
^^^smart guy :yesnod:

Little off topic, but was curious about something....

So...I'm going to be sending in my final payment sometime in the next few weeks or so...paying truck off almost 3 years early :woot:

Sometimes I try to get creative with finances, and threw together a quick spreadsheet...curious what you think about it?

Basically, once I own the title, it frees up ~$300/month, which I will not introduce into our budget, it will be sent towards savings/investments.

In 3 years, if earning 5% APR on whatever investment (could be more, could be less, just using that number), I will have made $874, and have $11,674 in the savings/investment. (investing the $300/month car payment every month, plus interest/gains earned) In 6 years, I will have made $3,634, and have $25,234 in the savings/investment.

By that time, I'm sure that replacing the vehicle may start to become a reality, since it will be ~12 years old, although I'd like to keep it for several years beyond that. I am not even including maintenance/repair costs, to keep things simple....

On the other hand, lets say I sell my truck for $25k. I invest that $25k immediately, in the same kind of 5% APR investment/savings. Now, I get into a 3 year lease vehicle, for $400/month. Considering my car payment WAS $300/month, I'd only have to dip into those savings/investments for $100/month to make up the difference. (in reality, I wouldn't dip into that account, I'd just take the total $400/month out of my budget, but I'm just trying to keep things honest with this comparison. So, the $300/mo truck payment would still be in my monthly budget, and I'd have to grab another $100/mo out of my budget, in effect, I'd have a $400/mo vehicle payment indefinitely). So, I'll be in a maintenance free vehicle for 3 years, and most likely better mpg, which really isn't a big deal since my annual mileage is so low. After 3 years, I would have made $161, and have $25,161 in the bank. Get into a new 3 year lease for $400/month at the end of the 3 years. After 6 years, I will have made $349, and have $25,349 in the investment/savings.

I also recalculated Option #2, to not include me drawing $100/month from that investment to make up the difference. In 3 years, I will have made $4,037 in gains/interest, and have $29,037 in the account. After 6 years, I will have made $8,725 in gains/interest, and have $33,725 in that account...seems attractive.

So, option #1 (keep truck, invest the payments), in 6 years I will have made more money than Option #2 (if drawing $100/month out of the account), and have $25,234 in the bank...which may be needed to purchase a new vehicle at some point, and probably be wiped out to $0.

Option #2, sell the truck, invest the money, get into a lease...in 6 years I will have made less money ($349), and have $25,349 in the bank, which will slowly grow indefinitely, as long as I continue to do 3 year leases. Also, the benefit to Option #2 is that there is instant SHTF fund (emergency fund) from Day 1. And then, of course, Option #2 is significantly better if I do not draw $100/month from the account.

Option #3, the hybrid...Do option #1, then start leasing in 6 years or so, or whenever the truck shits the bed :yikes:

Opinions? Am I thinking about this wrong? I think I lost myself...anyway...
Lots of words there. Could you summarize please?! :eek:

·
Registered
415 Posts
BDT -- do you plan on modding your lease vehicles down the line? Thats the only thing I dislike about lease vehicles. Yes you can unbolt everything at the end of a lease, but not practical either.

On topic... I wouldn't do it..

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys
1 - 20 of 30 Posts