Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place. This morning i was accelerating to get on the highway and the traction light came on and stayed on. When I got to work I shut it off and restarted it but the light is still on. I’m thinking about disconnecting the battery when I get home and reconnect see if that clears it. Why would it come on from accelerating? 2014 tundra.

·
Registered
17 Posts
oops, didn't see the year, so did it work? Also, if you dont have a scanner, most Auto parts stores like Auto zone will check the code for you. First guess is always a wheel sensor or wire to the sensor.....but usually you will have an ABS light on as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops, didn't see the year, so did it work? Also, if you dont have a scanner, most Auto parts stores like Auto zone will check the code for you. First guess is always a wheel sensor or wire to the sensor.....but usually you will have an ABS light on as well.
Crap sorry. On the way home the light went off. So I just forgot about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The traction light comes on any time one tire loses traction, usually when you accelerate hard... could be due to ice, sand, or slick spot on the pavement. And it ought to blink and turn off. If you disconnect the positive battery terminal for about 2 minutes, and reconnect it, the light will likely turn off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also when that traction control activates, it also cuts your power to reduce the loss of traction..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also when that traction control activates, it also cuts your power to reduce the loss of traction..
I didn’t loose traction it was a dry highway. It was on solid the entire way to work even while sitting. About half way joke it just went off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing I noticed. It’s happened 4 times or so. This morning I had the cruise on and the truck downshifted to go up a hill. A car came into my lane and I had to brake. The pedal was super stiff. The brakes weren’t slowing it down until I think the cruise kicked off. Then the pedal went back to normal.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
I had a solid traction control light on happen last year. Mine would come on generally when I would start the truck, put my foot on the brake to put it in drive. My traction control light would stay on permanently. I found a thread that said if you put it in 4 low it would go off and it did, but would come back every few weeks. Eventually I got Techstream and it indicated something like a "power brake booster sensing switch". After about a year, the 4 low trick stopped working and I took it to the dealer. It was the power brake booster. I did not find a fix for it anywhere and apparently its a leaky o-ring inside the booster.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a solid traction control light on happen last year. Mine would come on generally when I would start the truck, put my foot on the brake to put it in drive. My traction control light would stay on permanently. I found a thread that said if you put it in 4 low it would go off and it did, but would come back every few weeks. Eventually I got Techstream and it indicated something like a "power brake booster sensing switch". After about a year, the 4 low trick stopped working and I took it to the dealer. It was the power brake booster. I did not find a fix for it anywhere and apparently its a leaky o-ring inside the booster.
Would that cause the brake pedal to get stiff as well?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
My brake pedal was not stiff, but felt soft and almost like it would go to the floor. I tried new pads (per comments on the forum) a fluid flush, and the Techstream routine to remove air and nothing helped. After the new brake booster the pedal was still soft so I guess its supposed to be that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts