Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, it's not low tire pressure! :banghead:

I just had my winter tires mounted on my limited wheels with new tire pressure sensors, and everything was fine until I get this warning light. Do I have to 'calibrate' them or something? I'm new to the TPS things and need some more info..

I also found the button under the dash, does this calibrate it? What do I do???

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
You have to program the new TPMS codes into the ECU. You will have to do that each time you change the wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
You have to program the new TPMS codes into the ECU. You will have to do that each time you change the wheels.
you mean the dealer has to do it :p

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
you mean the dealer has to do it :p
Not necessarily. You can pay to access the program and do it yourself with a laptop. Not cheap. But over time, probably cheaper than going to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
6,835 Posts
Not necessarily. You can pay to access the program and do it yourself with a laptop. Not cheap. But over time, probably cheaper than going to the dealer.
yeah I remember TonySpin was talking about that program.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I installed the resistor string and diode. Less than $3 and no light...ever.
I cut the blue wire, installed the resistor/diode string to the blue wire with a butt conmnector, then used a 3M Scotch-Lock to connect the blue wire to the yellow wire that feeds voltage to the TPMS module. Based on input from dressed2kill, I need to clarify that the blue wire we cut is the lighter pale blue/green wire. There is a deeper blue wire present, but we are working with the pale blue-green wire. Thanks for the info, dressed2kill.

Here are BStevens' original pics from the thread on TS...

Here's a pic of the packages for the actual parts I used to complete this mod...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I installed the resistor string and diode. Less than $3 and no light...ever.
Nice, BUT next year the TPMS becomes part of some state inspections. The light has to come on before the engine is started in order to pass. :(

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Here is a quote from bstevens original post...

I have an '07 Tundra, and I know there are a lot of solutions out there to disable the TPMS light, but I think that I have found a way to trick the computer into believing that everything is working correctly without removing the dash or having to store those stupid sensors in pressurized container in the truck. I bought $5 worth of stuff at Radio Shack and it took me about 30 minutes.

I soldered a 12 volt Zener diode, a 1/4 watt 2.2k ohm resister and a 1/4 watt 1k ohm resister together to look like this. Be careful with the diode to ensure that it is facing the correct way because it only lets the voltage flow one direction.

Behind the glove box is a small grey box with a 12 pin connector to it. You can do this mod without removing the glove box if you don't mind spending some time on your back in the floorboard.

Remove that connector and then on the left side of the connector (the side with the clip) remove the light blue wire (5th one from the top). There is a compression fitting on the side of the connector that you will have to pop out approximately 1mm and then you can use a pin to remove that metal connector out of the plastic harness from the connection side. This is fairly simple to accomplish (hard to explain) but only necessary if you think that you may want to return it to factory operation at some time, otherwise you can clip the light blue wire.

Next step is to connect the resistor end of the series that you soldered together to the light blue wire. Then reconnect the plastic connector to the computer and stick the diode end into the back of the plastic connector so it makes contact with the yellow wire in the top right position.

This sends approximately 4.4 volts from the computer thru the light blue wire to the combination meter to tell the system that there is no fault.

I have had this system on my truck now for about a month and have never seen that stupid light (it doesn't even show up on start-up since it always thinks everything is working perfect). And just to check this theory I swapped it back to factory spec today and the light came right back on...put it back the way I had it and the light went right back out. If anyone needs more pictures or additional info I would be happy to provide it. This fix saved me over $600 for 4 new sensors and the reprograming fee. Hopefully it will help someone else too.

Just to clarify, the yellow wire we tap for power has a black wire in the location next to it. The light blue wire is actually a light pale blue-green wire, not the brighter blue wire.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Nice, BUT next year the TPMS becomes part of some state inspections. The light has to come on before the engine is started in order to pass. :(
Who decides if tpms was there from the factory? The tech?
Can you post a link?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Who decides if tpms was there from the factory? The tech?
Can you post a link?
No link that I know of.
The licensed repair shop where I have my inspections done told me that it starts here on January 1 and will apply to all 2007-up vehicles.
If NY is going to do it, I'm sure that California will be right behind them. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
No link that I know of.
The licensed repair shop where I have my inspections done told me that it starts here on January 1 and will apply to all 2007-up vehicles.
If NY is going to do it, I'm sure that California will be right behind them. :eek:
Ca has no state safety inspection, only a smog test. The tie rods can be dragging the ground behind the car, but if the engine burns clean, hit the road. Kinda jacked up if you ask me. So it was '07 when the feds mandated it for every new vehicle? That's a real bummer that this stupid light that never really worked in my truck could keep me from passing inspection.

(I was a licensed inspection mechanic in Mo)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
So it was '07 when the feds mandated it for every new vehicle? That's a real bummer that this stupid light that never really worked in my truck could keep me from passing inspection.

(I was a licensed inspection mechanic in Mo)
Yeah, and it's going to get even worse. :eek:
Next year is when all of the "5 year" batteries in the TPMS sensors should start to die. There will be a lot of screaming when people figure out that its gonna cost them a fortune to replace all those sensors. :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Yeah, and it's going to get even worse. :eek:
Next year is when all of the "5 year" batteries in the TPMS sensors should start to die. There will be a lot of screaming when people figure out that its gonna cost them a fortune to replace all those sensors. :mad:
No doubt. There may be a market for a plug in timer to insert into the circuit with the diodes. MWAHAHAHA!! :lmao:

it's the PR-7, right? lol

·
Registered
566 Posts
No link that I know of.
I am glad I do not have to deal with this. Sorry that things are becoming more of a pain though.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
No doubt. There may be a market for a plug in timer to insert into the circuit with the diodes. MWAHAHAHA!! :lmao:

Yep!! It will be relatively easy on the '07-10 models because there is a delay before the power outlets switch on so a simple relay will work. Toyota took that delay out in 2011 though, so those will require the timer.

·
Registered
827 Posts

I would be down for one. I chose to not run the tpms in my 20s and the light flashes. I need a solution to pass inspection.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I would be down for one. I chose to not run the tpms in my 20s and the light flashes. I need a solution to pass inspection.
First thing is to verify that your state includes the tpms in their inspection. If not, you can just do the resistor/diode fix.
If they need to see the light come on, then go out...you would do the diode trick, but add a relay so that the circuit is only completed after the relay is energized. The relay would be controlled by the power outlet circuit, so it would be timed with that circuit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
First thing is to verify that your state includes the tpms in their inspection. If not, you can just do the resistor/diode fix.
If they need to see the light come on, then go out...you would do the diode trick, but add a relay so that the circuit is only completed after the relay is energized. The relay would be controlled by the power outlet circuit, so it would be timed with that circuit.
cool, thanks for the info. i read the first page again and skimmed through the "diode mod" and it looks relatively straight forward. i am going to check with the local inspection station to see if this would be an issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
MA does not require TPMS in their inspections (at least not yet). I mount snows on my wife's car and have it inspected in February. I asked the guy if it would pass and he said TPSM is not part of the inspection.

I just deal with the lights on both her car and my Tundra. It's only December to March.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts