Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TPMS cost?

I'm new to this whole TPMS thing. I have a 2017 DC SR5 with the steel wheels, and am thinking about picking up some of the 18" TRD wheels from Craigslist. I assume anything I get off CL will have the OEM TPMS sensors removed, and I understand the sensors from my steel wheels aren't compatible with the alloys.

What should I expect to pay for replacement TPMS sensors? Is this a dealer only thing, or is it something any tire shop can do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to this whole TPMS thing. I have a 2017 DC SR5 with the steel wheels, and am thinking about picking up some of the 18" TRD wheels from Craigslist. I assume anything I get off CL will have the OEM TPMS sensors removed, and I understand the sensors from my steel wheels aren't compatible with the alloys.

What should I expect to pay for replacement TPMS sensors? Is this a dealer only thing, or is it something any tire shop can do?
That's not always true. I had discount tire install my alloys and they used the tpms from my stock tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I left them off, but I've been thinking of getting aftermarkets that screw onto the cap and have a solar powered head unit. ~$80 a set.

Stock TPMS suck. They aren't adjustable, no audible alarm, and they don't show you the actual pressure.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
When they first came out they cost as much as replacement rims, so I did the pressurized pipe thing. These days they are so cheap and long lasting I would just install them and let them run as they are supposed to.

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's not always true. I had discount tire install my alloys and they used the tpms from my stock tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I had the same experience. I went from stock 18" steels to BBS alloy 20". The shop was able to make the stock sensors work somehow. Although I like the idea of the sensors on the caps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the same experience. I went from stock 18" steels to BBS alloy 20". The shop was able to make the stock sensors work somehow. Although I like the idea of the sensors on the caps.
Me too.. I bought some alloys and sensors because I was told the OEM sensors wouldnt work.. The tire shop manager said they can be used.. and they reuse them every day. It has to do with the angle in which they sit. He said Its not as ideal as getting sensors for the alloys, so I didn't feel bad about paying extra for them. Also he had the equipment to pair the sensors to the vehicle for free. There was no trip to the dealer etc..

·
Registered
668 Posts
Me too.. I bought some alloys and sensors because I was told the OEM sensors wouldnt work.. The tire shop manager said they can be used.. and they reuse them every day. It has to do with the angle in which they sit. He said Its not as ideal as getting sensors for the alloys, so I didn't feel bad about paying extra for them. Also he had the equipment to pair the sensors to the vehicle for free. There was no trip to the dealer etc..
That makes sense. I think the tech explained that to me, but I was being dumb and didn't understand at the time. He mentioned they didn't have new ones in stock. I suspected he would have preferred to use new sensors. I probably would have paid for new ones just because. Maybe next tire swap I'll get the proper ones (or those solar ones that guy mentioned).

·
Registered
61 Posts
That makes sense. I think the tech explained that to me, but I was being dumb and didn't understand at the time. He mentioned they didn't have new ones in stock. I suspected he would have preferred to use new sensors. I probably would have paid for new ones just because. Maybe next tire swap I'll get the proper ones (or those solar ones that guy mentioned).
All of the solar ones that work on the stem look to have a little display pod. like this - https://goo.gl/s3EqfK I personally am not too keen on that..

I don't see any that are simple sensors that pair directly with the vehicle.. Maybe there are some.. I am still looking..

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I've gotten some from tire rack and some off of amazon. They work as well as the originals and last so far.
You can mount the steel wheel ones upside down and they will work until they break which may be never.
If you buy some write down the serial numbers on paper for the programming

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great info tridacna. So it looks like the valve angle on the styled steel wheels - which I have on my '17 SR5 - is wrong for the OEM alloys. Does this just mean they'll look weird, or that they won't seal correctly or stick out and get torn off?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.