Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the TPMS system work? At what pressure will it alert you that you have a low tire and does it tell you which tire is low?

Trying to decide if it's worth the money to have them installed in my second set of tires/wheels...

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it told me the pressure in each tire (like my '08 Jeep did), I'd get it for sure...

However for towing/gravel road travel any extra warning of a tire issue seems like a decent idea. Flats on gravel are common and can be harder to notice quickly since you tend to be getting pulled around all the time on gravel...

· Registered
128 Posts
Don't waste your money, when I put on my new wheels and tires I drove 3 days for 50 miles before the light came on. Ya ill rely on my eyes and checking the tire pressure manually

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the system on the Tundra is crap compared to what I had on my Jeep. I was able to almost immediately see that I had a leak when my Jeep got a flat and I could monitor it's deflation so I could get to a safe place to change the tire (interestingly the flat was caused by a huge bolt and yet it leaked slowly cause the bolt stayed in). In that case the system seemed valuable... The Tundra's system is not as useful??

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
All the Tundra's have it. You have to decide if you would rather rely on an unrelyable system, or do like your folks and grand folks did, and check your tires. It must have worked for them, you are here aren't you?

There is an ongoing debate wheather the system is a valid safety device. I did the "TPMS Delete" mod 18 months ago and will not miss the stupid system. As stated above, Socal57 has a great write up on how to do the TPMS Delete mod. It is pretty easy. If you can change your own tire, you can do the modification.

I got to warn you, once you start playing with your truck, you might not be able to stop.

Later

KO

I forget I even did the mod. Only time I remember is when questions like this come up.

· Registered
578 Posts
Agree with everything above. If Toyota had a better info center which read you the pressures of each tire... Or allowed you to inflate and deflate from the cabin- I'd be all over it. Just bought new wheels and tires, but no TPMS valves. I'll be building my little canister to throw my old ones in and behind the rear seat it'll go and be forgotten.

· Registered
6,429 Posts
What is the big deal if you have to check up to 4 tires to see which one is low? If a quick visual didn't tell you, be glad you had it or you could of had a big problem. I don't get people willing to fork over $2K for wheels and tires but not $150 for tpms which might just save those expensive wheels and tires.
I rented a Hyundai while on vacation recently and the tires looked ok and it being a national rental shop, I figured the tires were ok. I got to where I was going but the next morning the light was on. The tires looked ok visually but a rear tire had a screw in it. I am glad I didn't first find out about it when I lost control at 80 mph.
I have tpms in both my sets of tires and an second tpms receiver for the switchover.

· Registered
578 Posts
What is the big deal if you have to check up to 4 tires to see which one is low? If a quick visual didn't tell you, be glad you had it or you could of had a big problem. I don't get people willing to fork over $2K for wheels and tires but not $150 for tpms which might just save those expensive wheels and tires.
I rented a Hyundai while on vacation recently and the tires looked ok and it being a national rental shop, I figured the tires were ok. I got to where I was going but the next morning the light was on. The tires looked ok visually but a rear tire had a screw in it. I am glad I didn't first find out about it when I lost control at 80 mph.
I have tpms in both my sets of tires and an second tpms receiver for the switchover.
For me, I got a great deal on new wheels/tires mounted, balanced, and shipped. If I bought them local, I still wouldn't have worried, but having to buy the new valves, would probably had then switched over. I have never had a TPMS light come on in any of my vehicles over the last decade plus. I also check my pressure while I'm waiting at the gas pumps. I've had two flats while driving, and one blow out. I felt the flats before my TPMS came on (not in the tundra), and the blow out was a tie :D.

I'm religious about it- so that's why I'm not worried one bit. Beyond that- how many people do you see with a low tire driving around or in a parking lot. TPMS doesn't always trigger when a tire is low and should be filled, but when there is enough pressure drop to hit the light. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't add air until the light goes on.

· Registered
1,385 Posts
Agree with everything above. If Toyota had a better info center which read you the pressures of each tire... Or allowed you to inflate and deflate from the cabin- I'd be all over it. Just bought new wheels and tires, but no TPMS valves. I'll be building my little canister to throw my old ones in and behind the rear seat it'll go and be forgotten.
Its not a Toyota have a better info center, its the Tundra. Other Toyota's have it (I have no idea what the limited or platnium's show)

· Registered
51 Posts
So if tires/wheels were changed, new TPMS are needed? If they haven't been installed, what happens? I bought my truck used and with BFGoodrich A/T set at 50psi, the light mainly stays off but turns on occasionally, I check pressure and its 50psi. Why does the light go on sometimes but not others? Thanks

· Registered
11 Posts
Ok. Nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest pencil in the box, but I think I am liking the $6 TPMS delete. Bought some Fuel Kranks and new skins (with aftermarket sensors installed). I will be swapping these out with the OEM's come this fall, and really don't want to keep taking it back to re-program the ECU with the different sensor codes (it's an '08). Like many of you, I'm not impressed with the whole system. It took 20 miles for the light to come on. Then, with the new codes entered into the ECU at the dealership, my light is still on after driving it for over 100 miles. Can someone send me the link to have the TPMS delete done so I don't have to worry about it anymore? I am more than happy to look/check my tire pressures on a regular basis... Like we always did in the past. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.