Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple times i've taken my travel trailer on a trip i've noticed the TPMS warning light on the dash come on as if I had low tire pressure.

The first time it happened I got worried pulled over and checked all 4 tires and none of them were low. Later on it went away after I got to my destination and turned the ignition back on.

Took a trip this past weekend and it went on again tires were not low. I noticed it seems to happen when i hit some bumps or dips on the highway.

Does anyone know anything about this. Any help or explanations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thinking outside the box. If you are certain the pressure if good, then maybe the battery in one of your sensors is dying. The extra weight lowers the body, covering more of the wheel, reducing the signal from the sensors :dunno:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Spare should be monitored also, as it doesn't know when the spare is in use.

Our Camry loves to set the TPMS light when I drive it. Well, it starts flashing then stays on hard. [I haven't read my Tundra manual just yet to see if it does identical--but I suspect it does.] I think it's because, when I drive, the car trunk is usually full of stuff, and it can't "hear" the spare. I suppose I could be driving it too hard or something, but I don't understand how that could be.

I wonder if tire pressure spikes high when a bump is hit, and if the ECU sees enough high pressure events, if it just decides that there must be an error in the system and faults out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if tire pressure spikes high when a bump is hit, and if the ECU sees enough high pressure events, if it just decides that there must be an error in the system and faults out.
This is what i'm thinking actually. I will check the spare too though but like if that was the case wouldn't the light come on when i'm NOT towing as well? Which it doesnt

·
Registered
830 Posts
More weight, so perhaps the events occur more often? I dunno, if that was true you'd think it would be programmed in, so I could be totally wrong.

I wonder if one of the OBD readers could read tire pressure. That'd be nice.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
My gf's dads truck (gm) would have issues when the bed was loaded up to rail with plywood, however, that is about 2400lbs...

I don't remember seeing a tpms in my spare. May be, but I don't member'.

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I thought the spare did? Odd then, since I recall the manual saying it could handle 5 sensors. Now I'll have to crawl under the truck tonight and look for myself.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I thought the spare did? Odd then, since I recall the manual saying it could handle 5 sensors. Now I'll have to crawl under the truck tonight and look for myself.
You can add a TPMS sensor to the spare, it doesn't come with the sensor.
TechStream allows you to program a code for a 5th sensor if you want to add one.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Spare does not come with TPMS. I know because I took my stock spare out and put another matching rim and tire under the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts