Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
You got to glance at the speedo to make sure you are going fast enough, plenty of time to catch the tpms light.
I hear a lot of whine where people say they can check their own tires, but have never seen where anyone does a pre flight checklist before they get in and go all or even most of the time.
With that thought, why not just remove all the gauges and idiot lights. I am sure you ran a stick down your fuel filler before you got in, also checked the oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SC Tuna,

I certainly agree, although I usually keep my Tundra below the 80 mark, prefering my CTS-V on the high side. That one is not much good in the mud.

My intention, for the post you refered to, was to provide an easy way for those who are going to do it anyway.

Regards,

gad

·
Registered
33 Posts
Newbie here...I've been trying to get a winter set of tires/wheels. I was told by two dealers that it required 1-hr of programming to switch between the sensors ($120 twice a year when I switched between winter and summer sets) plus the $200 of buying the second set of sensors. Discount Tire said just buy the sensors and hit the reset button (funny they couldn't find the button even though they said they did it all the time, I didn't show them). Does anyone out there switch wheel sets? Who is right: the dealer or discount tire? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Both dealers were clear that the system could only remember 5 separate sensors (I guess one for the spare). 8 (i.e., two sets) sensors require programming when switching wheelsets. I asked if I could write down the code so they wouldn't have to go digging in the tire and the answer was yes. I then asked if I just hit the reset button under the dash; the answer was no, that doesn't actually program the system to recognize the new sensors. I'll admit I'm confused.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heck if I know...that's what they told me. I know the spare doesn't have a TPMS. I was at the dealer looking at OEM wheels and they had a 5-wheel takeoff set from a Landcruiser and all five had TPMS. Back to the original question, do I have to use the dealer to program TPMS sensors for every summer/winter wheel switchover or can Discount (or anyone) do it without costing an arm twice a year?

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK volleyball, can you be a little more specific or clarify. I get the codes off my existing sensors (say it's 1234). Then I buy new sensors from Discount Tire (say they're ABCD). Everytime I switch wheelsets Discount just reprograms the computer?

I've now asked to two different Discount Tire dealers and both thought the TPMS reset light was how to reprogram for new sensors, which doesn't seem to jive with what I'm hearing on this forum and from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Why don't people just switch the TPMS sensors to their new wheels and tires when they get them. That's what I did and it seems a hell of a lot easier than doing the steps in this write up. Is there a problem or something I'm not aware of or something with switching them over? Mine have worked fine

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Tire dealers can read the computer and program in the new codes. Be sure to save the old codes to be re entered in the spring. You can get a spare tpms computer so you don't have to pay for reprogramming.
There are some aftermarket sensors that you can code with your existing codes so if you buy them, they get programmed to your codes and then you don't have to reprogram your truck when you change wheels

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire dealers can read the computer and program in the new codes. Be sure to save the old codes to be re entered in the spring. You can get a spare tpms computer so you don't have to pay for reprogramming.
There are some aftermarket sensors that you can code with your existing codes so if you buy them, they get programmed to your codes and then you don't have to reprogram your truck when you change wheels
Yer killin' me...I follow you right up to the point of getting a spare TPMS computer. But instead of focusing on that I like the idea of aftermarket sensors with the same code (any ideas on what/where those are?).

Option 2 is just run the winter set with the orange light on. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why don't people just switch the TPMS sensors to their new wheels and tires when they get them. That's what I did and it seems a hell of a lot easier than doing the steps in this write up. Is there a problem or something I'm not aware of or something with switching them over? Mine have worked fine
The first thing to know is that some of us in snowy climates have two sets of wheels; winter set on in November and summer set on in April.

I think all of us agree that tire changeovers induce anxiety, they're always in a rush and someone manage to let the air gun get away from them. So to avoid to extra handling of the wheels some of us get a set of TPMS sensors in both sets (minimizes handling). To really avoid the hassle, some of us just switch them out ourselves.

If I was just switching to a new set of wheels, this wouldn't be an issue.

Snow and ice are the real culprits (and ugly mountain passes at 10,000 feet).

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
the computer is a little module under the dash by the glove box. I reach under and swap the connector in a couple minutes.
It will take 3 seconds to search for who has the programmable sensors. a couple minutes to call local tire shops to see who can program them. they will also need to be able to read your sensors to get the codes.
if you don't have new sensors i would suggest going this route.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can you put a switch in the circuit to turn the light on and off? The black tape method is good but cant you just put a switch in to turn it on and off?

121 - 140 of 144 Posts