Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
toyotech559 2004 Tundra TRD 4x4 Build Page

Still new to this forum and just picked up a 2004 Tundra TRD 4x4. Wanted to start this build tread to keep track of my work and maybe get ideas. Not sure if I will build this up anymore than what it is since its wont really see much off road. I have a 4runner I built up for that. I never did like tundras but after seeing my dad's work tundra reach 335k miles and runs just a good as mine at 97k. I am extremely impressive.

some stuff that has already been done by PO
HID hi/low beam
back up lights
tailgate led brake light strip
small lift all around, guessing 3 inch front and 1.5 rear
285/75R16 Cooper Discover tires. plenty of life left
16in rims
complete seat cover with bench cover

getting it ready to go another easy 100k i hope lol
just did yesterday (indicates mileage they are due at)

Oil Change (5k)
Spark plugs (30k)
Timing Belt (90k)
Water Pump (as needed) mine just started signs of leaking
T-Stat (as needed) mine look good but replaced and keeping old as spare
Drive Belt (as needed) mine was all cracked up
Front Diff Fluid Exchange (30k)
Transfer Case Fluid Exchange (30k)
Rear LSD Diff Fluid Exchange (30K) added BG LSD additive
Greased Drive Lines Front and Rear (30k?)
BG 44k (30k?) fuel additive. had a bottle figure i use it.

still need to do
Rack and Pinon (leaking)
PS fluid (as needed)
Brake Fluid Exchange (2 years)
Radiator Cap (as needed) looks good but figure i change it and keep old for spare
Clean and Adjust Rear Brakes (as needed)

just about matches my main tool box haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some more maintenance stuff. after purchase of vehicle and all the parts. ill have to save up again before any real modes. been looking at alot of LT builds. i have a feeling that is where ill have my built too lol

replaced rack and pinion due to leak and installed just one piece of the TC bushing kit mainly cuz its a new toyota rack and it comes with one year warranty that i like to keep till its up before i install the rest of the bushings.
also replaced the driver side cv boot due to torn boot
than i spent a few hours washing and using a polish/wax mix lol

i know this is a basically what happens with spacers lifts (how i purchased it) where the upper spindle/arm hits the coil. i dont see how installing a lifted coil over system be any different unless they use thinner coils? would camburg upper arms have more clearance?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im a die hard BFG guy and the coopers was already on it. i was playing with the idea of selling them and get some factory size BFG. now i think im just gonna keep them till they wear down some. with just the spacer lift and poor alignment from PO, it rubbed the frame at full turn. to fix the upper arm/bj issue, i installed a set of Camburg UCA and dialed my alignment in with alot of caster. drives much better and no rubbing. hard to say what my rims backspacing is. im guess what stock would be. i havent done any real wheeling but they worked great in the dunes. my 88 LT runner has BFG and they are awesome at the dunes.

reason for Camburg UCA plus they have built in Caster

its close but not touching now

recent trip to 2013 huckfest and main reason for buy this toy haha

my buddy came over to see what the heck i was doing lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i originally wanted it installed below the radio. i tried to enlarge the mounting holes to make the two fit. i think i could make it work but i would need to trim the top of the bezel cover. i might give it another try if i can find another cover i can trim just in case lol
anyways i found another spot that seem like it might just work. i can easily remove the cb unit if i ever had to. cup holder still works. i had to drill another hole in the cb bracket so it had alittle more support

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clean looking truck there, brother. Good idea on being pro-active with the maintenance up keeping.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
thanks. i just find it funny people will throw brand new rims/tires and a lift kit but the engine leaks oil and runs like crap. i guess some people like to have good looking driveway ornament.

its good for another 90k hehe

·
Registered
240 Posts
thanks. i just find it funny people will throw brand new rims/tires and a lift kit but the engine leaks oil and runs like crap. i guess some people like to have good looking driveway ornament.

its good for another 90k hehe
When I purchased my Tacoma from the dealer (prior to Tundy) first thing I did was change the front and rear diff, air filter, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I purchased my Tacoma from the dealer (prior to Tundy) first thing I did was change the front and rear diff, air filter, etc.
good thing cuz most used cars never get the diff fluids changed
the standard used car/dealers do is basic oil change, engine and cabin a/f, wipers, and brakes if needed. no other fluids ever get changed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i think the tundra is a clear winner for my long distance/pismo rig now. i just need to build it accordingly. i plan on going to turf and surf 2 every year now at pismo. my 1st time going and the event was this last weekend. had so much find. its mainly land cruisers and FJ cruisers but all toyota are welcome i think haha.

one thing that almost made me miss this awesome event was not having any luck finding a used camper shell. its fairly cold at night on the beach at this time of the year. lucky someone on i8mud gave me the idea of doing a DIY truck tent. less than $30 and 30 mins later. i had this.

went to bed and the air inside was already warm with just us being inside it. was easy to stay warm all night long too. i love it. i still plan on getting a camper shell or make something i been thinking of. but this set up will do till than

some pictures from around the camp and some guys i decided to follow around. the other tundra kept getting stuck due to lack of experience. than some how all 4 of them got stuck but the 2nd gen runner was able to get out and had to tow the others out. i was gonna help but i just let the 2nd gen runner do all the work while i took pictures and watched haha. had a great time

On 41 inch tires

stuck again and everyone else was stuck as well but me haha

2014 tundra didnt see the hole and got some air haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts