Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
Ugh. I waited a while before posting here because I knew that smoke would be coming out of my ears before I was done reading three posts.

Our HOA fines are now well over $3000.
There is a lein on our property to cover the amount of the fines.
We may not park in our driveway for any reason (other than handicap) unless the garage is already occupied by registered vehicles. Even then, there is a $100 annual fee to park in the driveway. I cannot park on the street even though there are 2 parking spaces there.
Had I known how restrictive and anal our HOA is, I would have never purchased a home here. We were told by the signing agent that it's normal and everyone has to deal with HOAs or Mello Roos to buy a house in southern Ca. We were not given time to read the CC&Rs (several hundred pages) because the signing agent drove in from another city and it was already late.
We have decided that when it's time to move, we are going to stop making payments and let the bank have it. There is no way I am paying the HOA for the fines regarding the petty crap like parking in my driveway, opening my garage door for more than 5 minutes at a time, not trimming the verge in a timely manner, or not bringing my trash cans in within the allotted time frame. When we move out, I am painting the trim purple and soaking the lawn in vegetation killer. They can kiss my pasty white arse.
There...Now I feel better.

The HOA has a signed contract from someone who is bound to what is written therein.
The HOA can and will impose fines for noncompliance.
The law will back them because you/landlord entered an agreement to comply with CC&Rs.
They cannot fine you unless you entered into a contract with them. (check your lease)
They can, however, fine your landlord and place a lien against the property.
The hold the legal upper hand because they can strong arm your landlord into booting you for non compliance. (which was probably in the fine print of the lease you signed)
If they are on you about the truck, I guarantee there a noise and nuisance codes in there, too.
Being loud and obnoxious will only dig you a deeper hole.

I moved out here from Missouri so this whole HOA thing was new to us. Some are reasonable. Some are run by Nazi concentration camp guards who refuse to die. We have the latter.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I used to work for a woman. She lived in an upscale neighborhood and she told me how her HOA operated. It was usually a retired busy body liberal. They were retired and they spent every waking hour harrassing people they didn't like and letting their buddies slide on everything.
Somehow there was some siding product that had a defect and almost all the homes in the addition had it. She had a real good friend that was a lawyer that was going to help the whole neighborhood out for free. Her stipulation was that she be made president of the HOA for five years.

Idiots fell for it and she pretty much screwed all the ones that caused grief over until she moved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I used to work for a woman. She lived in an upscale neighborhood and she told me how her HOA operated. It was usually a retired busy body liberal. They were retired and they spent every waking hour harrassing people they didn't like and letting their buddies slide on everything.
Somehow there was some siding product that had a defect and almost all the homes in the addition had it. She had a real good friend that was a lawyer that was going to help the whole neighborhood out for free. Her stipulation was that she be made president of the HOA for five years.

Idiots fell for it and she pretty much screwed all the ones that caused grief over until she moved.
That's how they seem to work... just like American politics!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ugh. I waited a while before posting here because I knew that smoke would be coming out of my ears before I was done reading three posts.

Our HOA fines are now well over $3000.
There is a lein on our property to cover the amount of the fines.
We may not park in our driveway for any reason (other than handicap) unless the garage is already occupied by registered vehicles. Even then, there is a $100 annual fee to park in the driveway. I cannot park on the street even though there are 2 parking spaces there.
Had I known how restrictive and anal our HOA is, I would have never purchased a home here. We were told by the signing agent that it's normal and everyone has to deal with HOAs or Mello Roos to buy a house in southern Ca. We were not given time to read the CC&Rs (several hundred pages) because the signing agent drove in from another city and it was already late.
We have decided that when it's time to move, we are going to stop making payments and let the bank have it. There is no way I am paying the HOA for the fines regarding the petty crap like parking in my driveway, opening my garage door for more than 5 minutes at a time, not trimming the verge in a timely manner, or not bringing my trash cans in within the allotted time frame. When we move out, I am painting the trim purple and soaking the lawn in vegetation killer. They can kiss my pasty white arse.
There...Now I feel better.

The HOA has a signed contract from someone who is bound to what is written therein.
The HOA can and will impose fines for noncompliance.
The law will back them because you/landlord entered an agreement to comply with CC&Rs.
They cannot fine you unless you entered into a contract with them. (check your lease)
They can, however, fine your landlord and place a lien against the property.
The hold the legal upper hand because they can strong arm your landlord into booting you for non compliance. (which was probably in the fine print of the lease you signed)
If they are on you about the truck, I guarantee there a noise and nuisance codes in there, too.
Being loud and obnoxious will only dig you a deeper hole.

I moved out here from Missouri so this whole HOA thing was new to us. Some are reasonable. Some are run by Nazi concentration camp guards who refuse to die. We have the latter.
I agree with most of what you stated. If I were you I would get a timer for the garage door opener that opens it and then closes after 5 minutes. Then repeats.

The nuisance covenant is harder to enforce because that is open to interpretation. I am not pushing it too hard because I don't want to get my landlord in trouble. So the truck is in the garage.

I have thought about getting all the truck owners together to see if they want to sue the HOA to get a legal interpretation of the intent of the language around "truck" in the covenants. I only have 8 more months left on my lease so I think I will just look for gray areas in the covenants to toy with the HOA. There is always some loophole.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
HOAs are the first thing I question when looking for a home in Vegas (moving in March). I will not live in a place that dictates to me how to live my life.

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I agree with most of what you stated. If I were you I would get a timer for the garage door opener that opens it and then closes after 5 minutes. Then repeats.

The nuisance covenant is harder to enforce because that is open to interpretation. I am not pushing it too hard because I don't want to get my landlord in trouble. So the truck is in the garage.

I have thought about getting all the truck owners together to see if they want to sue the HOA to get a legal interpretation of the intent of the language around "truck" in the covenants. I only have 8 more months left on my lease so I think I will just look for gray areas in the covenants to toy with the HOA. There is always some loophole.
Our HOA enforces noise violations via their paid security company. They handle parking enforcement, too. A copy of the violation is sent to the HOA. After x number of violations, there is a hearing where they assess a fine. Out here a 66% majority vote can dissolve a HOA. The problem is that there are too many old geezers in the neighborhood who don't want to start over. I think we need an association because we have a pool and some common area. We just need to tank the cc&r so we can write one that fits the common working people who have moved into the neighborhood.
I tell everyone I see looking at houses in our community about the overbearing HOA.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
man, I couldn't stand to live in a place like that. When we built our house in 1993, we had a huge pile of scrap lumber, etc. in our front yard in our small town. I put gas on the pile and had a huge bonfire roaring 20 feet into the air and about 10 feet wide. Had a neighbor come up and asked nicely just be sure the cops don't drive by otherwise you might get a ticket. I said my yard, I can do what I want in my yard - within reason. I felt a little bonfire was well within reason. Back then, you could burn in your yard anywhere, but now they are thinking of taking away our burning barrels where everyone has one in the yard and uses it weekly for burning trash. If this burning barrel gets outlawed, I might as well move to the country away from all the idiots who dictate me how I want to live my own life on my own land. Now, if I interfer and cause harm or issues with my neighbors property, rightfully so I am in violation since harming other peoples property. My idiot neighbor does this to me every winter using his big snowblower and blowing snow and gravel into my property and hitting my vinyl siding on my house by blowing snow alongside his house next to mine his entire 100' long by 10' wide grass along side his house. He does it just to piss me off and tempted to get out my ATV with plow and push the 3-4' piles of snow now on my property right back into his own yard. My wife won't allow me to do it since if we got into a fight, he would dead. But, if I was single, I would go out immediately after he is done wasting 2 hours of his time and take 20 minutes of my time to push the snow right back into his own yard. I wouldn't have an issue with what he was doing although idiotic, but when chunks of gravel and hard packed snow hit my house and my basement side windows, that is a violation in harming other people's property and should not be tolerated. My motto is live and let live, but don't cross me or you will lose one way or the other. If the misses wasn't there to calm me down, I would probably be in a lot of trouble??.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MAN!!!! Just another reason I live out in the WOODS!

I'd tell em' to take a DEEP breath & BLOW IT OUT THEIR AZZ!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ha Ha. Florida. Maybe its a Miami fan!
Choose your words carefully! I'm a CANE fan in Hokie country! GO CANES! :D

I too live in a HOA, and I've only ever have had 2 issues;

1: I built my shed without a permit, and I received and stop work order while building. I eneded up having to get permits from the county and HOA to build

2: I was fined for having a unregistered vehicle on my property. I spun a main bearing in my old blazer and let the registration lapse. Ended up covering the blazer with a tarp. . . problem solved.

Anyways I hope you get this worked out. Sounds like your neighbor is a friggin' douchebag! Good luck

81 - 90 of 90 Posts