Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is in a 2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited Edition with the OEM JBL Navigation system. I’ve done a few searches for this specific topic and have found some information in the forums, but I just want to confirm my thoughts are correct before I proceed. Therefore, I’m presenting what I have identified thus far to see what, if any, comments people have regarding changes I may need to make.

My goal is to replace the existing OEM JBL Navigation system with a Kenwood DX890HD eXcelon Multimedia DVD Receiver with Navigation/Bluetooth/HD Radio, and add a secondary monitor for the back seat using zone controls built into the new system. The two primary reasons for this model is the Garmin navigation and the dual zone support. In order to do this, I’ve identified the following requirements in order to be successful with this effort:

1. Kenwood DNX890HD (~$900) – The radio itself
  2. Kenwood DNX890HD Video/Brake bypass (~$15) – Enables Navigation / Video while driving
  3. Metra 99-8220HG (~$40) – Black High Gloss Double Din kit
  4. Metra ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface (~$50) – Enables steering wheel controls for aftermarket radios
  5. Scoshe TA07SR Radio Replacement Interface (~$12) – Allows the use of the Toyota OEM JBL amplifier and speakers – Could also use PAC TATO product, anybody have a preference?
  6. Metra 70-8113 Wiring Harness (~$7) – Wiring harness for speakers that feed the TA07SR or PAC TATO
  7. Metra 70-8114 Wiring Harness (~8) – Wiring harness for steering wheel controls and retaining aux input
Total estimated cost: $1032

Any thoughts, concerns, questions, comments, etc.?

Thanks,
jbush82

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looks like a similar setup to what i would like to do. I believe i will go with the iDatalink Maestro rather than the Metra though. Last I looked crutchfield doesn't show it working on the tundra but iDatalink does. Supposed to have no delay between pressing steering wheel buttons and fully programmable via USB and a PC. It's not been mentioned on here that I've noticed but it looked like the new best steering wheel interface.

http://maestro.idatalink.com/

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a similar setup to what i would like to do. I believe i will go with the iDatalink Maestro rather than the Metra though. Last I looked crutchfield doesn't show it working on the tundra but iDatalink does. Supposed to have no delay between pressing steering wheel buttons and fully programmable via USB and a PC. It's not been mentioned on here that I've noticed but it looked like the new best steering wheel interface.

iDatalink - Maestro - Home
I did some research on the Maestro SW. From what I can tell, it doesn't support the Toyota Tundra (it doesn't show any 2008 Tundra as being supported). I then went to the Metra site and put in my vehicle information. It did show the ASWC1 specifically supporting the Tundra. I have used the ASWC in the past with an old 2004 Tundra and a 2010 Camry, so when it comes to this particular component I'll probably stick with what I've had success with in the past (unless I find out it doesn't support the Tundra).

I do appreciate the feedback though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I did some research on the Maestro SW. From what I can tell, it doesn't support the Toyota Tundra (it doesn't show any 2008 Tundra as being supported). I then went to the Metra site and put in my vehicle information. It did show the ASWC1 specifically supporting the Tundra. I have used the ASWC in the past with an old 2004 Tundra and a 2010 Camry, so when it comes to this particular component I'll probably stick with what I've had success with in the past (unless I find out it doesn't support the Tundra).

I do appreciate the feedback though.
The maestro DOES work in the tundra I have installed dozens of the. In tundras and other toyotas, it is by far the best swc Interface I have ever used and the response time is just as good as factory (which is not the case with the aswc) not saying the aswc or swirc are bad products but the maestro is far better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts