Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Tundra 2010 - Turning on headlights = loss of engine power.

1 - My ABS and VSA lights came on one day. I jammed on brakes and no ABS, so it’s not just the light. Now they are on intermittently. No pattern that I can detect.

2 – If I turn the headlights on, the cruise control will not work.

3 – When I turn on headlights or parking lights, the accelerator pedal becomes unresponsive. Engine is unaffected. If I take my foot off the pedal and then re-accelerate, everything goes back to normal.

4 – My Toyota guys ran a diagnostic, and replaced a brake (light) switch.
Then reset codes. Still a problem.
They think it MIGHT be a $2000 brake actuator, but not sure. I think they were on the phone with Big Toyota, but still no answers.

I don’t want to spend $2000 on the part alone, that MIGHT be the issue.

Hoping for a concrete answer before spending that much $$.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran into a problem somewhat like that. ABS light and several others. Before they found the real problem which was chewed wires on the wiring harness , toyota had replaced the actuator, and the computer behind the dash. 7k before finding the harness issues which was another 6k just for the harness. My insurance totaled my truck. Unfortunately these mechanics are plug and play. No one wants to spend time and find the real issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Back in my day ('70s-'80s), that would indicate a bad generator or alternator. ;) I've experienced limp mode in my '07 when the smog valve went TU. The others who suggest inspection of your harnesses feels good to me, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts