Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the 3/1.5 Rough Country levelling kit yesterday on my 2010 CM 4x4. Eveything went well, although reassembling the front suspension was a challenge.

I'm getting the alignmet done tomorrow. So far I've only driven about 40 miles and have not seen the VSC light come on. I still want to go ahead and have the zero point calibrated, since the TSB reccomends this whenever the alignment is adjusted.

Here's my question:

Can I expect Toyota to do this for free under warranty, based on TSB 0020-08? Otherwise, would should I expect to pay for the recalibration?

Also, does anyone have an updated copy of this TSB that shows that it's applicable to 2010s?

Thanks for the help...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
The TSB you have is the current one. It applies to all '07 and newer Tundras.
FREE??? Not likely unless you have a really good dealer.

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is this necessary for all lifted trucks? The reason I ask is because I have had my 2.5" leveling kit installed with 285/75/18's then removed and installed again, along with the 1.5" rear blocks and haven't had any issues with the VSC. I have never had mine zero'd.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It is "required" BUT some folks have gotten away without it with level kits installed. Some others with the bigger lifts have had it done and still had problems with the VSC kicking in.
Nice lookin' truck by the way!

·
Registered
416 Posts
It is "required" BUT some folks have gotten away without it with level kits installed. Some others with the bigger lifts have had it done and still had problems with the VSC kicking in.
Nice lookin' truck by the way!
Thanks!

Now that you mention it I did have an issue soon after I first had the leveling kit put in. One day it was raining and as I pulled out of my street the VCS flicked on and I could not accelerate, pulled over put shut the truck off and re-started and all was fine. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I suspect it depends a lot on how and where you drive also. It seems to be sensitive to high speed corners like freeway ramps.
Think of it like a ball bearing in a saucer. When the ball falls out your VSC kicks in, so if it's not exactly level it becomes more sensitive to some direction changes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
take about 10 mins just ask them nicely. let me be honest with you. i have this procedure done 3 times and still get the vsc light and all the bs connecting to it.
i have to slow down big time when approaching curves and corners. it get worst when cornering up/down slopes. im trying to study the g sensor under the passenger seat.
it can be very annoying.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You can do it yourself, I did and it was simple and did not cost a dime. Took about 10 mins.
yeah. did myself too.. very simple. i used paper clips to connect the pins @ OBDC port and spent less than 10 minute. But you should re-seat the vsc module though. it's under the center console and i added 2-3 washers to get it to a higher angle just like before you level the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
yeah. did myself too.. very simple. i used paper clips to connect the pins @ OBDC port and spent less than 10 minute. But you should re-seat the vsc module though. it's under the center console and i added 2-3 washers to get it to a higher angle just like before you level the truck.
Got a DIY thread on this somewhere?

Thanks!

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
So you just skipped to part 4 and did it manually? Nice to know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
So we can reset the VSC with a paperclip? Doesn't changing the angle of the VSC module defeat the purpose of recalibrating? Isn't the module installed at a specific angle to all of the suspension components it is supposed to be monitoring?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
So we can reset the VSC with a paperclip? Doesn't changing the angle of the VSC module defeat the purpose of recalibrating? Isn't the module installed at a specific angle to all of the suspension components it is supposed to be monitoring?
Yes, but when you install a lift kit that angle changes. He's just putting it back to where it was.;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Got a DIY thread on this somewhere?

Thanks!
sorry i don't have DIY instruction. i basically read the instruction a few times and followed it to get it done. But here are the steps:

1. do your lift and have alignment done

2. park your car at level surface and keep your steering wheel straight (this step can be switched with #3. my driveway is slopped so i actually removed the center console first before drivng 1/4 mile out to a leveled surface)

3. remove the center console (held with 4 screws inside the console)

4. unscrew all 3 scews on the vsc module/sensor (2 towards the front of the truck and 1 towards the back)

5. add washers in the back (between vsc module/sensor and the truck body) so that vsc/sensor is at higher angle and put 3 screws back in.

**I actually added a little bit of cardboard at the front so left side & right side are leveled. front and rear should be angled**

6. follow the VSC Calibration instruction from step 4-6

7. if it's successful, put the center console back in.

8. grab a beer and celebrate. :)

let me know if you need more info / help with this..

So you just skipped to part 4 and did it manually? Nice to know.
Yes, skip to part 4. be really careful and make sure you plug the paper clip in to the right pin holes though. i am not responsible if you plug in the wrong holes. too bad it doesn't respond with "WRONG HOLE WRONG HOLE!" :D

Yes, but when you install a lift kit that angle changes. He's just putting it back to where it was. ;)
that's exactly right. it was calibrated at an angle from the factory. when you level/lift your truck, the angle changes. you need to re-seat the module to the angle before. Unfortunately, i did not measure the angle before the lift so I only added 2-3 washers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, but when you install a lift kit that angle changes. He's just putting it back to where it was.;)
I realize that, but is that necessary? By calibrating the VSC, aren't you setting the new "zero point"? The VSC was installed a predetermined angle/location in relation to the body, axles, wheel sensors, and yaw sensor. By changing that angle, it seems like the system would no longing perform as designed.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I realize that, but is that necessary? By calibrating the VSC, aren't you setting the new "zero point"? The VSC was installed a predetermined angle/location in relation to the body, axles, wheel sensors, and yaw sensor. By changing that angle, it seems like the system would no longing perform as designed.
It MAY be necessary. you certainly can try first without the washers but i tried to recalibrate first without the washers and it didn't fix my problem. i then added the washers and that did it. so it seems that the sensor is very sensitive when it comes to the pitch (nose) angle. it likes to be pitched down (nose down) position. :)

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Like he said, for some trucks the washers are required. There are guys who have had theirs recalibrated by the dealer multiple times with no luck.

·
Registered
360 Posts
zero point mean erasing everything stored in it memory overtime. once erased, your vsc system will begin new data acquisition from all the sensors connecting to it.
this procedure won't fix the over-sensitive issue.
i recommend doing the washer first then zero point. as imcougar says, it likes to be pitched down (nose down) position. i'm building a wedge-shaped shim to trick the sensor under the pass seat. not sure if it work.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I just installed my leveling kit, new tires, and wheels and I had no idea about having to re-seat or re-calibrate the vsc until just recently. I definitely need to get it done cause it's bugging the crap outta me! The dealer wants $120 to re calibrate it! I gotta figure out how to do this myself, but I have a 2010 with the bench seat. Where would my vsc module be?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts