Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating about buying the Toyota back-up camera set up, and after watching a few videos on the good ole' intrewebz, it seems quite easy. Granted majority of these were prewired trucks. Is this SOP for all Tundras even those without the cam factory installed? ANNNNNNNND, has anyone here installed the specific back-up cam set that Toyota sells? Holla, as they say.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Nah, I went totally after market. I couldn't swallow the price toyota wanted for their camera. They are proud of them. I picked up a camera and monitor off of Amazon. I think my total cost was around 50 bucks. Yeah I'm a cheap bastard.

I saved money as well using my non-camera gate latch bezal. Just drilled my own hole. Looks factory enough for me.

KO

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was your Tundra pre-wired?

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
They all are to some extent.

I opted to not use the factory wiring. The camera came with enough RCA coax, or whatever they call it to reach from the tailgate to the overhead console. The console part that was intended for sunglasses is where I put my monitor. I just flip down the monitor.

I do lots of trailer hooking and unhooking. Because of that I wanted to have my monitor powered all the time. I have a switch in the dash for turning off the monitor. I grabbed power from one of my tail light feeds. I do have to have the the running lights on to get power to the camera, but that is no biggie.

I didn't try it where it kicked the monitor off when you moved out of reverse, I imagined that would be a pain trying to position the truck to hook up a trailer.

Hope this helps.

KO

·
Registered
289 Posts
What aftermarket brand/model are you using (if you don't mind me asking)? I've been looking at cam/monitor combos. Best quote from Toyota was $1300 for the hardware only.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Ill have to get some pics taken. Prolly this afternoon. I can't promise when I can get them loaded. I'm getting out of work this morning and planning on enjoying my holiday as soon as I get up. give me a bit of time and I will.

Later

Kirk

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't mean to hijack here but do you guys know if my Tundra is prewired? I have a 2013 5.7 double cab with fog lights. I can't check because I'm work. I'm assuming if it is prewired there will be a connection underneath somewhere near my spare tire??????

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mean to hijack here but do you guys know if my Tundra is prewired? I have a 2013 5.7 double cab with fog lights. I can't check because I'm work. I'm assuming if it is prewired there will be a connection underneath somewhere near my spare tire??????
Supposedly it is, and the wiring is behind your tailgate access panel and through to the driver side of your spare tire and behind your overhead cab console (fwd sunglass holder). SUPPOSEDLY. Maybe this weekend I'll find out myself and update TundraTalk.net if I have the time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Supposedly it is, and the wiring is behind your tailgate access panel and through to the driver side of your spare tire and behind your overhead cab console (fwd sunglass holder). SUPPOSEDLY. Maybe this weekend I'll find out myself and update TundraTalk.net if I have the time.
I certainly hope it is. I got my kit yesterday from supakoopa and would like to hook it all up soon. I watched a video on youtube of a guy installing the overhead console mount display, but I have the rear view mirror and I don't know how I will get the wires from the overhead console, through the headliner and down to the mirror on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I certainly hope it is. I got my kit yesterday from supakoopa and would like to hook it all up soon. I watched a video on youtube of a guy installing the overhead console mount display, but I have the rear view mirror and I don't know how I will get the wires from the overhead console, through the headliner and down to the mirror on the windshield.
Black harness tubing can look quite unsightly. Maybe just have a SUPER high rise mirror to minimize the the length and hide the harness routing. I don't know...GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Black harness tubing can look quite unsightly. Maybe just have a SUPER high rise mirror to minimize the the length and hide the harness routing. I don't know...GOOD LUCK!
I know my kit came with the OEM wire cover which covers the wires on the windshield. But thanks for the luck. I'm going to need it. When it comes to wiring or anything electrical for that matter, I'm not the pro. Wiring and upgrades on my motorcycle were a breeze.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I had a minute before the sun went downj to snap a couple of pics of my aftermarket camera/monitor set up. I'm using the wifes 'puter, so bear with me.

Here goes. The wife doesn't have a mouse with here computer. These touch pads suck.

Hope this helps.

KO

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
For the most part I got the pics right. Sorry about that last one. Oops

KO

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I was hoping nobody was offended. Looks like I'm good so far.:)

KO

·
Registered
289 Posts
BoneDaddy's? That's it, I'm going there! LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts