Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are they reccomending towing with the 4.7. i dont have the tow/haul mode. do they reccomend using the sport shifting. stay out of overdrive?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Check in the owners manuel. I think towing is around 8k not sure though

·
Registered
75 Posts
what are they reccomending towing with the 4.7. i dont have the tow/haul mode. do they reccomend using the sport shifting. stay out of overdrive?
Yeah, towing is around 8K. I have a 17' skiff loaded must way about 2,500lbs but I have not towed yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I am towing my boat (about 4000 pounds) I use the sport shift mode so I can keep the RPM's where I want them. If I am on the interstate for extended amounts of time and I can set the cruise at 70 I will put it back in Drive and leave it. It does not have any problems at that speed since the motor is turning more than 2000 RPM's.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
With my old 02 with the 4.7 I towed a my car trailer and race car, about 5000 pounds combined and just turned the overdrive off when doing so. I had no problems, tow liked that for 3 years almost once a month

·
Registered
802 Posts
Use the sport shift!!! alot more fun.
is that was that stands for sport shift? whats the difference never read into it the dealer just told me it burns a lot of gas so im like ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tow about a 2200lbs trailer everyday, no problem really other than some big hills, and the gas mileage isnt so great. I just drive it like I would if I wasnt towing, not sure if thats good or bad. But its worked for 5,000 miles thus far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts