Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to go out to Utah here shortly to pike up a 3000 pound travel trailer that I don't know much about. 2002 Tundra TRD 4.7 4WD. I think I have a trailer towing package but not sure. It has a trans cooler. Runs really well with new P rated 265/75/16 Cooper AT3s. New brakes all around.

I just installed a P3 electric brake system for this little excusion. The trailer is a single axle set up with electric brakes. It has a anti sway set up that I don't know much about. I was going to install some new tires 175/80/13D on the trailer, and repack the trailer wheel bearings when I get there.

What else should I do to bring this thing home about 2600 miles?

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Buy insurance.

The 2002 had the weak planetary gear assemblies. Do NOT tow in over drive no matter how flat the ground or tail wind.

I loved my 2002, but didn't like putting a new transmission in it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How difficult is it to install a 03-04 transmission in this thing anyway? On a scale of 1-10 (where 1 is checking your tire pressure and 10 is rebuilding a 911 engine)? Does the engine need to come out or can it be done from blelow?

Also I normally run with the tire pressures at 26/29 for these P rated tires as the door post calls for. Suggestion?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just returned with the little 14' travel trailer (only weighs about 2000 pounds and had an "anti-sway" hitch set up with the little 5/8" extra ball). The trailer is a little light in the front end, but I had some furniture in there.

The truck pulled it flawlessly in the "tow mode". The 4.7L engine really pulls well at about 3000 RPMS. It seems to like it likes it when it is actually working. 5753 total miles for the round trip. At 148K miles this thing has never used a drop of oil. Impressive.

I am running 36 psi in these Coopers. I will do my 5K mile rotation tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one issue although it is not related to the towing. Before I left I replaced the rear O2 sensor (with the Denso) as the CEL was coming on with code P0136. I also replaced the plugs (with Denso Iridiums) because I had not done that under my ownership.

Now every other time I start the car, the CEL light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving. Half of the time it flashes the P0136 and half of the time it shows an error code of 0. After I reset the CEL, it will stay off until I shut the ignition off again.

I think I will get under there and confirm that both the rear O2 ground and the 12 feeds are indeed good. Other suggestions?

I did replace the hitchball as it would no longer hold "tight". I replaced it with a new serious meat ball using Locktite Studlocker and tightened with serious impact gun and had no further issues.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I had a check engine light which was due to an exhaust leak. I got the leak fixed, the light went away, then came back a while later.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
The light turned on under hard acceleration. I might turn it off and not accelerate as hard. It doesn't fix the problem, but I'm not really worried about a small exhaust leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.