Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4700 lb travel trailer when loaded will probably top out at about 6200 lbs. I am thinking about purchasing an 2006 Tundra with an Access Cab. The 06 has a 4.7 ltr V8. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Is it a good experience? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A friend has that motor in a Land Cruiser with the 4 speed tranny and he pulls 6500 quite often. Long as he's not in a hurry he gets it done. Having an extra tranny gear should help you, also you have VVi and extra ponies.

I'd do it.

Reactions: lars00n

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Does the truck have the tow package? With the tow package the truck is rated for 7100 pounds, without the tow package you can drop that down to 4800 pounds. With the tow package you can get er done but it will be a little slow going. Without the tow package you are looking for trouble.

G

·
I have a 07 Double Cab with the 4.7... Never had any issues with anything I have towed. I have been up in the 6500 range... Only felt that I had a trailer back there due to the extra tongue weight and having the bed of my truck full. If you tow often and are towing in the 6000+ range I would spend the little bit extra and get a 5.7L... just for the added protection, HP, and Torque...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you have to have a DC? The access cab is about 1000lbs lighter. I had an 03 AC and it was WAY faster and more nimble than my 06 DC.

Even though extra gear and VVT, you can't make up for a heavy truck. I myself will only own 00-06 Tundras. The Gen 2's.... are like a dodge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use of acronyms to a newbie doesn't do me much good. What is a VVi and a VVT? I have figured out the DC and AC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have to have a DC? The access cab is about 1000lbs lighter. I had an 03 AC and it was WAY faster and more nimble than my 06 DC.

Even though extra gear and VVT, you can't make up for a heavy truck. I myself will only own 00-06 Tundras. The Gen 2's.... are like a dodge
I am thinking about both cab types. I have not purchased the truck yet. What is a VVT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts