Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new Tundra and have narrowed it down to 3 choices. All of the trucks are 2wd dc Sr5's with the upgrade package. One truck is just that, plain. The other choices are a TRD Sport or a TRD Offroad. I plan to tow a boat (~5K lbs) and eventually a travel trailer that will weigh more. Which of the three choices will handle the towing job better? Will the 20" wheels on the Sport help or hinder the job? I will have to make some improvements to the straight up SR5 and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling boats has not been a problem but I have never pulled a TT. Thanks for your time. :beerchug:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am in the market for a new Tundra and have narrowed it down to 3 choices. All of the trucks are 2wd dc Sr5's with the upgrade package. One truck is just that, plain. The other choices are a TRD Sport or a TRD Offroad. I plan to tow a boat (~5K lbs) and eventually a travel trailer that will weigh more. Which of the three choices will handle the towing job better? Will the 20" wheels on the Sport help or hinder the job? I will have to make some improvements to the straight up SR5 and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling boats has not been a problem but I have never pulled a TT. Thanks for your time. :beerchug:
I think the TRD Sport has a sway bar that the TRD Offroad doesn't have. That will help with towing but can be added to the TRD Offroad. Not sure but I would also check payload on each and get the one with the highest payload between the 2. To pull a TT you will run out of payload first. The shocks on the TRD versions will also be much better than the SR5.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I will double check the payload #'s but I think they are all pretty much the same. I do like the fact that the TRD Sport has the rear sway bar. My neighbor added it to his SR5 (he pulls a 20' center console) and it made a big difference with the towing. I still am not sure how the 20" wheels (on the Sport) with the thinner sidewall can handle a load. I'll keep digging around and see what I can find out. Right now, I am leaning towards the Sport since it has the upgraded suspension components, LED's, and the blind spot monitoring, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any particular reason you're not getting a 4WD? Doesn't mean you have to hit the mud or trails, but 4WD can be very useful in situations when towing. I boondock with my 33' travel trailer and have had to use it a time or two to help get through some areas. You also said you have a 5K lb boat. Not sure of the launching conditions at your ramp but some can be a little steep and slippery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave it some thought but losing the payload capacity due to the 4wd extra weight plus the added maintenance has kept me at bay (somewhat). I have never needed 4wd at the ramp. My current truck has LSD and has come in handy a few times but nothing I could not get out of. I would consider the 4wd option if I can find one at a great price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts