Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 21 toyota tundra crewmax and will be buying a 21 shadow cruiser 225rbs, 4800lbs dry with a 430lb hitch weight. will have a weight distribution hitch installed. do you guys think i will need to install timbrens right away to get rid of most of the sag?? and how do you think it will pull?? (first time travel trailer owner)
thanks for any replies

·
Registered
346 Posts
No, not necessary. Should pull great. I pull more than that without issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a 21 toyota tundra crewmax and will be buying a 21 shadow cruiser 225rbs, 4800lbs dry with a 430lb hitch weight. will have a weight distribution hitch installed. do you guys think i will need to install timbrens right away to get rid of most of the sag?? and how do you think it will pull?? (first time travel trailer owner)
thanks for any replies
i pull a 1200# trailer with 300 pound tongue weight. I am curious why a weight distribution hitch when your weight falls within specs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks for any replies
If you setup weight distribution hitch properly with that trailer, you shouldn’t need timbrens/airbags. Make sure you get an anti-sway system if your weight distribution hitch doesn’t have it built in. Equalizer brand wd hitch is great.

If you want to stay entirely legal/safe (ie. truck under or at GVWR), that’s probably the biggest trailer you can tow. In real world, towing at the max “tow rating” of the truck (9,000lbs?) is nearly impossible without exceeding the trucks payload capacity / GVWR.

You’d be surprised how far over Tundra’s GVWR you can go w/o terrible sag. If you see a Tundra sagging bad, it’s almost certainly WAY over it’s payload capacity / GVWR.

i pull a 1200# trailer with 300 pound tongue weight. I am curious why a weight distribution hitch when your weight falls within specs.
Big difference between 1,200lbs and 5,000+lbs. A 4,800lbs dry travel trailer is going to be over 5,000lbs ‘wet’/loaded. Tongue weight will likely be closer to 650-700+lbs as the way trailer manufacturers state them is very misleading (ie. dry w/o any propane tanks or batteries). Believe Tundra manual states over 5,000lbs weight distribution hitch is required and over 2,000lbs sway control device is required.

Reactions: RCLB Scogan

·
Registered
3 Posts
S-22: I currently pull a Mini-Lite that maxes out at 6Klbs fully loaded with my 19 crewmax and we upgraded from a GeoPro that was about 4800lbs, as previously mentioned do NOT use the trailer brochure or dealer statements for tongue weight. Our Geo had a real life TW of 670lbs... you will and should be at about 15% of trailer weight for tongue weight. We use an Anderson WDH, which is light weight easy to use and is made for lighter trailers like ours. It levels out the Tundra nicely and has anti-sway as well. Having gone with and without, I wouldn't tow without. It makes for a better pull and the WDH adding some weight to the front keeps the steering from getting too squirrelly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for any replies
I pull a 26 foot travel trailer with my crew max 5.7 , 5700 lds, 395 tounge weight. Twin cam distribution hitch set up. No tinbrens and no sag. Pulls like a champ. Only use tow/haul feature in hilly back roads.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I pull a 26 foot travel trailer with my crew max 5.7 , 5700 lds, 395 tounge weight. Twin cam distribution hitch set up. No tinbrens and no sag. Pulls like a champ. Only use tow/haul feature in hilly back roads. View attachment 886485
You should have more tongue weight than that. At least 10% of overall weight. Are you sure on that 395?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts