Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed my boat to have new tires put on this morning. Trailer about 4,250 lbs total. I have a 14 DC 5.7 with 285/55-20s.

Pulling at 75 on flat ground, I average about 195 at the pan and 210 at the torque converter.

Holding 70 to 75 pulling a good long hill it would go up 205 at the pan and 240 at the torque converter. This would come down rather rather fast after topping the hill.

Thought I would start a conversation here about the differences between the 19-20s without the air cooler.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Good topic sir , since they changed / did away with the air cooler .

The coolant to oil heat exchanger in MOST auto trucks is for heating the fluid ( artic temps) AND quickly sheading heat from the TC just as you described " This would come down rather rather fast after topping the hill." The air cooler didnt do that the heat exchanger did.

Thats what they do best .

BUT very interested in the new design ....

thank you , 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a lot of discussion on tundras.com about this. My 08 would seldom get above 200 on the pan unless you ran with the TQ conv. unlocked. My 019 will top out around 210 on the pan even without towing at interstate speeds. Expect 215-218 with tow and not using 6th gear. Lots of unhappy owners. I would not have traded if I had known this. Toyota says it is what it is. Many have reported higher temps and some have had overheat warnings at low speeds such as off road.
bc

·
Registered
181 Posts
i would like to test mine as well but am wondering what obdII device you need and what app is preferred? I tow a 28 ft travel trailer regularly so i should be able to get some good "working" numbers from my 2017.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a lot of discussion on tundras.com about this. My 08 would seldom get above 200 on the pan unless you ran with the TQ conv. unlocked. My 019 will top out around 210 on the pan even without towing at interstate speeds. Expect 215-218 with tow and not using 6th gear. Lots of unhappy owners. I would not have traded if I had known this. Toyota says it is what it is. Many have reported higher temps and some have had overheat warnings at low speeds such as off road.
bc
So we're only talking about 10 degrees difference. I've seen 205 on the pan.

I suspect it really isn't that big of a difference. However, I do agree that Toyota should have told someone or announced it. They did when they went to the shared air cooler in 2010.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some users on another forum are reporting 220 - 235 towing as little as 2200 # in 4th gear at 70 on mostly level ground and at modest temperatures. I don't tow anything heavy and mine runs 15-20 hotter than my old one did with same load and route. I have to stay in 5th or lower. Old truck could handle it in OD.
bc

·
Registered
181 Posts
hey all, so i picked up a obdII reader, and downloaded the torque pro app.. i got things working but cannot figure out how you are checking transmission temperatures. there are 2 trans temp items in the list of gauge options but neither of them seem to be active. i ordered the one that sundance suggested. veepeak obdII bluetooth unit. i can see RPM's, coolant temp, etc...but the trans ones dont work.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are equations that must be entered to read the trans fluid. They are in the custom PID data.
PID is 2189 for Gen 3.
Pan temp is:
((((A*256)+B)*(7/100)-400)/10) for pan temperature
For torque conv., use C and D respectively in above eq.
Range is 0-300
Multiplier is X1
Unit is deg. F

·
Registered
181 Posts
thank you. I have done some searching but am unable to find where to input this data. Is it on one of the existing trans temp dials/gauges ? or in the settings somewhere? i dont see anything labeled PID data. sorry if its obvious.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From the first screen, select the gear shaped icon, then settings. Scroll down to "Manage Extra PIDs/Sensors" Open that page to enter equations, etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well something is happening now....but not what i would expect. the pan temp moves about like the vacuum gauge would but on this scale of 100 - 350/400...related to throttle and moves quickly. the TQ one has really low readings sometimes going negative. does the 2189 go in the top field where it says OBD2 mode and PID? i'll post a couple shots of my settings in a min...

·
Registered
181 Posts
well something is happening now....but not what i would expect. the pan temp moves about like the vacuum gauge would but on this scale of 100 - 350/400...related to throttle and moves quickly. the TQ one has really low readings sometimes going negative. does the 2189 go in the top field where it says OBD2 mode and PID? i'll post a couple shots of my settings in a min...
Pics of the setting screen

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For Pan temp ....PID 2182 with ((((A*256)+B)*(7/100)-400)/10)

For Torque Con Same PID 2182 with ((((C*256)+D)*(7/100)-400)/10)

Don't use PID 2189

Took me a while to figure out myself. All kinds of settings in different place on the internet.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok thanks I'll try that. Your formula is missing a parenthesis however. I put it in after the 256 like I had before... We'll see if it works!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts