Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a travel trailer, and am seeking a reality check. Do these numbers work? This is for a family of four. I have not weighed the truck but that estimate is from the internet.

Truck Specs:
2016 Tundra SR, 4x4, double cab, 4.6L V8
TWR:6500 LBS
GVWR:6700 LBS
GAWR(FRONT):4000 LBS
GAWR(REAR):4100LBS
GCWR: 12500 lbs
CURB WEIGHT (ESTIMATE): 5115LBS

Trailer Specs:
GVWR: 5400 lbs, Ship Weight: 3985 lbs, Hitch Weight: 425 LBs

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's about what my trailer weighs and my 2010 does great pulling it. Gets 09-11 MPG usually right around 10.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Towing Calculator | Husky Towing

Remember to consider what else you are carrying when you figure weights and also that TT weights on manufacturer website may be for base models and may not include accessories and dealer add ons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes keep in mind that those wts from the trailer manufacturer are grossly under typical on the road weights
add a battery, two propane cylinders, a wd hitch and sway control and then all of your personal stuff, food, clothings cooking stuff, dishes. it easy to add another 1000 lbs
our "shipping weight" trailer is 3100 lbs, on the road we're 4700 and we pack lightly

·
Registered
500 Posts
Without knowing your actual CURB weight fully fueled and loaded with the family and crap...we have no idea how much payload you have remaining.

The trailer listed appears to be a non issue based on it's light weight, but not knowing real numbers, we're all just guessing how it all plays out on paper.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
yes keep in mind that those wts from the trailer manufacturer are grossly under typical on the road weights
add a battery, two propane cylinders, a wd hitch and sway control and then all of your personal stuff, food, clothings cooking stuff, dishes. it easy to add another 1000 lbs
our "shipping weight" trailer is 3100 lbs, on the road we're 4700 and we pack lightly
What he said.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 2014 4.6 2wd so 300 pounds more tow capacity. But our camper was 25' box and 4450 dry and we pulled it just fine. Not getting up the mountains but keep it simple and your fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not getting up the mountains but keep it simple and your fine.
Argh. These comments really bug me.

I traveled many areas up and down the Smokey's years ago with a 23' 4000+lb TT and thought it must be the "lightweight" TT making life easy and/or these "hills" are not really mountains.

Well, now we pull a 7100lb 32' TT and we drove more than a few (South West and West) mountainous Interstates American has to offer this Summer. I was full throttle on occasion, but not nearly as often I as expected to be. I was never asking for more power or speed. Not even at elevation. In fact, I tore up most grades with ease and at speed making semis look like they were standing still, but then took it nice and slow back down and then those same trucks tore ass past me!

[RANT MODE ON] My conclusion is most drivers have a poor perception about lack of power from these near 400hp and 400 lb/ft of torque motors (not just this brand, but most towing with high power gas engines) and lack driving skill OR confidence to use appropriate throttle input and gear selection. [RANT MODE OFF]

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's ok to be pulling a heavy load and not having enough juice to keep you at 70. For the love of God please move over to the right lane. No one will think twice if you have to move over to the right lane to get up the hill. Just get out out of the way.

·
Registered
400 Posts
[RANT MODE ON] My conclusion is most drivers have a poor perception about lack of power from these near 400hp and 400 lb/ft of torque motors [RANT MODE OFF][/QUOTE]

He is asking about a truck with 6500# tow capacity and 310hp. Not the 10k that your truck presumably has. If you have a 4.6 with tow package then it's like 8400 which would still give you over a grand cushion. But your likely 25% under with the 5.7 with tow package.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My *SUV* has a rating of 7200 or 9100 depending on the model year...reduced based on the SAE towing performance spec. Nothing else.

OP has a lighter trailer, similar to one I've owned previous, and easily handled by the 4.6L. How can I possibly say that as a matter of fact? Cause I used to tow the same trailer with a Honda Pilot. I need say no more.

Let's say you really are underpowered like everything was in the 1950's thru the 90's and your foot is buried on every significant interstate mountain-type grade but otherwise the experience is very pleasant, stable and safe. Well personally speaking, I'll take safe and stable over lack of power on steep grades ANYTIME cause lack of power is temporary for most people. Whereas safety and rock solid stability matters every minute you're towing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.