Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a newer Tundra owner - purchased my double cab in May of this year from a good friend. It's a 2014 Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 and tow package. I am installing a P3 controller tomorrow. I don't own a travel trailer at this time but hope to get something in the next year or so. I am looking at renting a trailer for this weekend and wanted some input. The trailer I am looking at renting is:
2015 Palomino 220X Hybrid
25ft 6in in length
Hitch Weight: 610lbs
Gross Weight: 7610lbs
Dry Weight: 4901

Is this on the border of being too much trailer for my truck? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add the truck is completely stock. It is the TSS package but otherwise no modifications to the truck at all.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Weightwise, looks like you're within requirements. The problem comes when you add weight and where you add that weight to (including passengers in the truck and stuff in the bed). Make sure you have a Weight Distribution hitch. With that much weight in the back, you might also notice the truck sag in the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weightwise, looks like you're within requirements. The problem comes when you add weight and where you add that weight to (including passengers in the truck and stuff in the bed). Make sure you have a Weight Distribution hitch. With that much weight in the back, you might also notice the truck sag in the back.
Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about what else would factor in weight wise. It will be me, my wife and our 2 year old plus whatever the wife packs. Only have an hour drive each way so not a long haul. I was concerned about the sag - is that fine on the truck?

·
Registered
617 Posts
In addition to the hitch, I would air up the rear tires too. If they are P tires with a 44 max psi, I would air up to 40-42 psi cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In addition to the hitch, I would air up the rear tires too. If they are P tires with a 44 max psi, I would air up to 40-42 psi cold.
I will be sure and do that before hitting the road. I don't have a weight distributing hitch but the owner of the TT I am renting has one they provide for use. I have been wanting to add a TRD sway bar but never got around to it. Thanks for all the input and feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You should be fine with that. I tow a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS, it's a little heavier and longer but otherwise similar specs. It's the wife, two young kids, me, and the dog. We've never had issues even in the mountain grades here in AZ. I'd imagine with weight distribution you will be well within specs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 7000# travel trailer (empty)and tow with no problem, but I installed a nice hitch that has weight distribution and anti sway. I occasionally pull a friends 5000# travel trailer a few miles from a seasonal camp site to his home without weight distribution, and I don't feel comfortable going over 55 MPH. To me, a good hitch is critical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should be fine with that. I tow a 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS, it's a little heavier and longer but otherwise similar specs. It's the wife, two young kids, me, and the dog. We've never had issues even in the mountain grades here in AZ. I'd imagine with weight distribution you will be well within specs.
Yeah, I was very surprised and happy with the performance of my truck pulling it. I knew the gas mileage would drop significantly and battling a head wind didn't help. Averaged around 8.0-8.5 mpg on our trip. We are now looking into buying a TT we enjoyed it so much. How do you like the Coachmen? What is the length of yours?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 7000# travel trailer (empty)and tow with no problem, but I installed a nice hitch that has weight distribution and anti sway. I occasionally pull a friends 5000# travel trailer a few miles from a seasonal camp site to his home without weight distribution, and I don't feel comfortable going over 55 MPH. To me, a good hitch is critical.
I will say the weight distribution hitch was awesome. I couldn't believe the difference it made. Also had the anti-sway bar the owner let me borrow that attaches form the hitch to the tongue of the trailer. Was a great setup and I believe the hitch made all the difference. Definitely worth the cost of the setup. I think the owners said the spent about $1000 on the hitch & sway bar but they said they wouldn't want to pull it without (their tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 Hemi). He did say it was a little more difficult setting up the weight distribution hitch on my Tundra but I think it was because the Tundra sits higher in rear than the Ram. Not sure but either way it was a great trip and the Tundra did awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To my surprise, my wife loved the trailer and wants to go again. She isn't really much of the camping type so I was glad she enjoyed it. Might be the perfect opportunity to buy one :)
Thanks for everyone's input. I had towed boats and some various trailers in the past but nothing this big and first time toying with my Tundra that I got in June. I was extremely happy with the performance and the way the truck handled the load. I know it was well within the limits but not having towed with my Tundra and jumping right in with the TT, I wanted to get some pointers. I appreciate all of the tips. I have attached a picture of my truck and the trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ou can get WDH's on a site like etrailer.com. Also sometimes with used travel trailers you can get a hitch to be included. I have purchased 3 so far and 1 had a WDH included. And I included it with the second one I sold.

I recently purchased a Forest river Salem 24' and then found the hitch I wanted that's related up to 10k lbs and 1k tongue it is a Reese pro series and was $220 from Amazon. I found it on etrailer.com but then amazing had it on prime so it was much faster deliver and a little less $.

There are better setups and there are several different styles but I got WDH and anti sway for 220 and most of our trips are under 100 miles some are 35-45 miles so didn't feel we needed anything else. Additionally the style is what we had before when I was using my with a 2011 pathfinder v6 with 6k tow capacity and the trailer was 4200 dry. Made a world of difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the owners said the spent about $1000 on the hitch & sway bar but they said they wouldn't want to pull it without (their tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 Hemi). He did say it was a little more difficult setting up the weight distribution hitch on my Tundra but I think it was because the Tundra sits higher in rear than the Ram.
I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I think is was in that price range. I bought it from the RV dealer where I bought my TT. The RV dealer set it up for my truck. Hitch height is part of set up, Ram's are different, but Tundra's are nothing out of the ordinary for hitch set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I was very surprised and happy with the performance of my truck pulling it. I knew the gas mileage would drop significantly and battling a head wind didn't help. Averaged around 8.0-8.5 mpg on our trip. We are now looking into buying a TT we enjoyed it so much. How do you like the Coachmen? What is the length of yours?
We really like the coachmen. It is just over 29ft bumper to hitch. We've had a few warranty issues, but nothing major. We just actually got back from a Labor Day Weekend trip. Here's a pic of the truck and trailer (from a different trip. We don't always do parking lots)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am a newer Tundra owner - purchased my double cab in May of this year from a good friend. It's a 2014 Double Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 and tow package. I am installing a P3 controller tomorrow. I don't own a travel trailer at this time but hope to get something in the next year or so. I am looking at renting a trailer for this weekend and wanted some input. The trailer I am looking at renting is:
2015 Palomino 220X Hybrid
25ft 6in in length
Hitch Weight: 610lbs
Gross Weight: 7610lbs
Dry Weight: 4901

Is this on the border of being too much trailer for my truck? Any input is appreciated.
I have a 2000 and have pulled a trailer since I bought it 325,000 miles ago. I have maxed and exceeded the payload often. The tundra is a work horse. What your asking your tundra to do is way less then I do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts