Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my 14 used. I’m not sure if I have a oil cooler or not. I’m pretty sure I have tow package but I’m not sure if that was part of 14 package or not. I know is 15 the integrate brake controller and larger tank was added to package. I can’t really find any info if I should have a cooler or not. Reason asking. Me and my neighbor changed oil together other day. He drove from the local Walmart to my house and I drove from Work some 30miles away. I got home and started working we did mine first. My oil after 25min run time was surprising luke warm. No burning of hand nothing. Mind you his is sitting turned off whole time. Say 30 min +\-. We go to do his know for fact no tow package. His oil is burninggggg hot like the normal you didn’t wait too long. But his was sitting for over 40 min as he was waiting for me to get home. If so do our oil coolers work that good? If so I’m impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Engine oil coolers are generally OTC oil to coolant . Typically engine oil temp is at or slightly above engine opp temps ( hot )

Trans coolers can go OTA oil to air or OTC which is far more efficient or both ( dodge cummins auto trans )

Bottom line , i do not know why your oil was luke warm or if the 5.7 has an oil cooler . New to the Tundra game myself .

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
all 5.7 have an engine oil cooler
That's not correct.
Here is a picture from the repair manual for 2014 Tundra.
Oil cooler is an option.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I always thought the 5.7L always came with with tow package incl. oil cooler and 4:30's unless you had a special package like the Sport Appearance Package (SAP) which I think still retained the 5.7L but 4:10's so likely no oil cooler.....? :dunno:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s why I asked I kept getting conflicted research. I have tow package he does not. Assumed I had oil cooler and he didn’t but didn’t see a cooler anywhere. Granted I wasn’t searching for it so could have bit me if a snake idk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The optional cooler is actually a transmission oil cooler...

All 2014+ 5.7L trucks came with the tow package, which included the transmission oil cooler.

In 2015 I believe they discontinued the 4.6L tow package trucks, so simply put, if you have a 5.7, you have the tow package, and if you have the 4.6, you do not. You used to be able to get either motor with or without the tow package in previous years.

The tow package for G2 trucks included:

Hitch Receiver
Supplemental Transmission Cooler
Tow/Haul Mode (button)
4.30 Rear Differential w/ 10.5" Ring Gear
150A Alternator
Transmission Temperature Gauge
7 Pin Connector
Trailer Brake Controller Prewire

I believe the only difference for G2.5 is that there is no trans temp gage anymore.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The newer also come with a 36 gallon or whatever fuel as well. But because the different years and diff things that’s why I could never find a definitive answerr

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The newer also come with a 36 gallon or whatever fuel as well. But because the different years and diff things that’s why I could never find a definitive answerr
The 38 gallon tank comes with the SR5 Upgrade package on 2016+ Trucks. It has nothing to do with the tow package.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Define sr5 upgrade for me I’ve seen sr5s in lot with both tanks most of them on sticker said tow option or whatever and had the integrated controller and the ones that didn’t were shall I say just sr5s?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Define sr5 upgrade for me I’ve seen sr5s in lot with both tanks most of them on sticker said tow option or whatever and had the integrated controller and the ones that didn’t were shall I say just sr5s?

Can't recall all the upgrades but:
-steel to alloy wheels
-6 seater column shifter to console 5 seater

I'm pretty sure a guy on here had a 2.5 Gen with the 6 seater (non-upgrade) but still had the bigger tank on his CM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That fuel tank alone has me considering upgrading from my '08.... It is comical how quickly the fuel gauge drops on these G2 trucks. Even when the fuel light comes on there is damn near 6 gallons left in there, but it is all a mental thing at that point.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
That fuel tank alone has me considering upgrading from my '08.... It is comical how quickly the fuel gauge drops on these G2 trucks. Even when the fuel light comes on there is damn near 6 gallons left in there, but it is all a mental thing at that point.
If that's your only issue then you might be better off upgrading the current tank with that 46 Gal Transferflow tank some guys have done.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.