Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a travel trailer, but only have dinky mirrors, black, heated, and power but no turn signal lights on them, 08 tundra crewmax 5.7.....wondering what the best, on a budget, mirrors would be to get for towing? Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Welcome to the forum..:)

Check out this thread.
They are one of the forum vendors...

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/1a-auto-parts/765594-2007-19-toyota-tundra-power-heated-amber-lens-turn-signal-manual-folding-telescoping.html

Or here is the vendor product direct link.

https://www.1aauto.com/2007-19-toyota-tundra-mirror-set-trail-ridge-tr00031/i/trmrp00031?utm_source=tundratalk&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=forum - 082819 - mirrors

$255.95 for the pair free shipping.

A little tip;
Keep a good hold of the three nuts that hold the mirror to the door.
You do not want to drop them down into the door.
Don't ask me how I know that....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but the right-side main mirror on the 1aauto equipment is flat, not convex like the original. If you use your mirrors for backing up with a trailer, be prepared to focus on the blind-spot monitor, which is pretty small, or you will quickly lose sight of the tail end of your trailer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
To be honest, I have towed several travel trailers (TT's) with my Tundra's (07-15) and I don't use extended tow mirrors. The truck is wide enough and the stock mirrors stick out enough that they seem to work good enough as is. I used to put extended mirrors on them, but they always shake and it is hard to see out of them, and on one trip, the extended mirror flew off going down the highway, and that's when I realized the stock mirrors work fine as is.

With the stock mirrors, you can see far enough down the side of the TT and far enough back to safely make lane changes and monitor traffic. Granted, with the extended mirrors, you can see all the way down the lane next to you, and with the stock mirrors, you can almost see all the way down the lane. But you can see far enough back to monitor traffic and safely navigate lane changes.

I do like the optional extended mirrors, and if you are doing a lot of towing, I would get them installed. But if you are going to only tow back and forth to the campground a few weekends a year, I would not bother.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got a travel trailer, but only have dinky mirrors, black, heated, and power but no turn signal lights on them, 08 tundra crewmax 5.7.....wondering what the best, on a budget, mirrors would be to get for towing? Any help much appreciated.

I have the OEM ones. Upgraded to them about two years ago when I bought my TT. Not cheap but I did a lot of research on other aftermarket ones and most of the reviews were sloppy fit, looseness, rattling etc. I went with the ones pictured which are Toyota brand and they are perfect. Zero issues and my 2011 Tundra now had side mirror lights/blinkers. I also included a thumbnail of a review from a user that says they work on his 2014 as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
To be honest, I have towed several travel trailers (TT's) with my Tundra's (07-15) and I don't use extended tow mirrors. The truck is wide enough and the stock mirrors stick out enough that they seem to work good enough as is. I used to put extended mirrors on them, but they always shake and it is hard to see out of them, and on one trip, the extended mirror flew off going down the highway, and that's when I realized the stock mirrors work fine as is.

With the stock mirrors, you can see far enough down the side of the TT and far enough back to safely make lane changes and monitor traffic. Granted, with the extended mirrors, you can see all the way down the lane next to you, and with the stock mirrors, you can almost see all the way down the lane. But you can see far enough back to monitor traffic and safely navigate lane changes.

I do like the optional extended mirrors, and if you are doing a lot of towing, I would get them installed. But if you are going to only tow back and forth to the campground a few weekends a year, I would not bother.

This is your opinion based on your experience, and this is mine. I upgraded to tow mirrors after buying my TT and can't imagine towing without them. Could I get by without them? Maybe, but the fact is they make these devices to aid and enhance driving experiences and safety for everyone. You said your Tundra is wide enough for stock mirrors to see down the sides of your trailer which isnt always the case for people towing larger trailers than you. You also said "you can almost see down the lane" which indicates a potential blind spot hiding maybe a motorcycle or small car. The increase in visibility is drastically better over stock, especially at night. There are lots of things such as blind spot indicators, WDH's, back up sensors/camers, vehicle alert systems etc that people spend money on to increase their safety and situational awareness. Could they get by without these? Again, probably, but why wouldnt you want every fighting chance possible to ensure you, your family and others are safe on the road? I wouldnt promote "you dont need them if you only tow a few weekends a month." People dont plan on accidents and thats why theyre called accidents. I wouldnt let blind luck from the past suggest immunity.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
+ 1 on OEM tow mirrors. I picked up a set used for a reasonable price. I then swapped in some 1a auto smoked lenses and all is good with the world. I wouldn’t want to tow a camper without them. Now when I drive my wife’s sequoia, I hate the small mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would not tell anyone that it is OK to Tow a TT without extended mirrors if it was not safe to tow a TT without extended mirrors. What I am trying to communicate here is that the Stock, non-extended mirrors, on the Stock Tundra let you see far enough down the side of the TT and further back that it is safe to tow this way. There are no blind spots for cars or motorcycles to hide in. And I am talking about a full size 32 ft TT, full width, full height, etc.

The difference with the extended mirrors vs. the stock mirrors is that with the stock mirrors, you can barely see the side of the TT when looking in the mirrors and you cannot see behind the TT. With the Extended mirrors, you can easily see the side of the TT and you get a little bit of view behind the TT. Either way, you can see the full lane next to the trailer and further back. Either way, you can easily see cars coming from behind and easily make safe lane changes.

I have towed both ways, with and without the extended mirrors. It did not make much difference. With the extended mirrors, you mainly get a better view of the side of your trailer.

I think that if you are towing a TT a significant amount of time, the extended mirrors are nice and I would purchase them. For a few weekends a year going to the campground, I would not bother to spend the money to time.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have the OEM ones. Upgraded to them about two years ago when I bought my TT. Not cheap but I did a lot of research on other aftermarket ones and most of the reviews were sloppy fit, looseness, rattling etc. I went with the ones pictured which are Toyota brand and they are perfect. Zero issues and my 2011 Tundra now had side mirror lights/blinkers. I also included a thumbnail of a review from a user that says they work on his 2014 as well.
I own a 2014 Limited CM. With the blind spot monitoring. From what I gathered the OEM tow mirrors didn't have this function built in at the time.
Therefore I went with the aftermarket Trail Ridge because it has this feature.
They look great but they do shake just a bit at speed, perhaps it's the way I installed them, regardless it's not enough to bother me.
Do your OEM mirrors support the BSM option?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’m thinking about going with the 1aauto towing mirrors for my 2017 Limited because they have the blind spot monitors. I use a clip on system that is scratching the hell out of my factory sport mirrors. I don’t understand why Toyota doesn’t include towing mirrors as standard equipment??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m thinking about going with the 1aauto towing mirrors for my 2017 Limited because they have the blind spot monitors. I use a clip on system that is scratching the hell out of my factory sport mirrors. I don’t understand why Toyota doesn’t include towing mirrors as standard equipment??
I installed the trail ridge towing mirrors on my 2018 Limited. My truck came with blindspot monitoring but didn't come with side mirror turn signals like the Platinum does. I ordered the mirrors for a 2018 Platinum and the side mirror turn signals work on my Limited.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the trail ridge towing mirrors on my 2018 Limited. My truck came with blindspot monitoring but didn't come with side mirror turn signals like the Platinum does. I ordered the mirrors for a 2018 Platinum and the side mirror turn signals work on my Limited.

kinda a little off subject, but does anyone know why Toyota Towing mirrors are not available fromToyota, for a 2020 Tundra with BSM (blind spot monitor) and RCTA (rear cross traffic alert) ? I am looking at getting a 2020 Limited, I need the tow mirrors, but would like to have BSM and RCTA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts