Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here.

I'm looking to get a new DCSB Tundra in the next few days and one of the things I was going back and forth on was wether or not to ask the dealer to throw in a set of towing mirrors with the deal. I tow a trailer but its not wide enough to require the towing mirrors, but I absolutely love the look of a truck with the towing mirrors.

I guess my question is that other than parking, do they have any affects, positive or negative, of daily driving with the towing mirrors? I realize it makes the truck wider and therefore "harder" to park, but I'm not worried about that as I prefer to park away from the careless door-openers and just hoof it from the far side of the parking lot anyways.

Any help is appreciated, looking forward to spending more time on the forums as well.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Buddy has them and I like the way they look like you said. I would see if you can get them. Even if you don't use them, they are worth a pretty penny if you ever want to switch back to sport mirrors.

My garage is so small I can't have them. I have an inch front and back and the side is nill.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
My truck came with tow mirrors...I couldn't get rid of them quick enough (traded them for limited mirrors).

Weird blind spots, and backing up into parking spaces is weird. I've towed 7x12, 6x12 trailers a few times, and a stingray boat with my regular llimited mirrors, no problem.

The tow mirrors stick out further, so it creates a sharper angle of viewing...I.e., I like to see the lane beside me, and my rear quarter panel with my mirrors....not possible with tow mirrors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have a garage make sure tow mirrors will clear the sides. They won't in my double garage with a center pillar. My opinion, stick with the standard mirrors and purchase a pair of cipa slide on temp mirrors if you need them.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you have a garage make sure tow mirrors will clear the sides. They won't in my double garage with a center pillar.
This is why I have not gotten a pair.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I would think you could find a set yourself, for much cheaper than what a dealer will charge for the mirrors. They will mark them up, then add more for install.
If you buy them and install them yourself, you will still have your original mirrors, if you ever want to switch back. And they'd be easy enough to sell if you switched back and didn't want to keep them. Someone on here would snag 'em up in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got a set about 2 weeks ago and I love them

·
Registered
86 Posts
I put them on after market. I love them with my fifth wheel. But I have to fold the drivers side in every time I pull into my garage. A pain, but nice mirrors.:cool: I have 9x7 garage doors.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
My towmirrors needed some "custom-work" (for my use) Bought a Q-Works Camper Convex mirror kit and "made it work" on my truck.I keep the useless 'sliver' of convex at the bottom, adjusted to watch the rear tires while backing into spots.Everything else gets covered by the Q-Works round convex mirrors.I can see vehicles on both sides of me with just a glance ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input.

It won't be parked in the garage, so no clearance issues there. I like the idea of removing a blind spot but I can see where they could limit visibility around the passenger A pillar, not really a concern though.

Any problems with ATMs/drive throughs and the like?

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My truck came with towing mirrors. I can't imagine driving it with smaller mirrors. The rear view is huge. Without them it would be like looking thru a keyhole. As far as clearance they will fold in. The power fold is optional and at 71 I am still able to reach out and move them. I also removed the rear seat headrests (I have a DC). Amazing how much that improves the rear view. I install the headrests if any adult sits back there.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My wife is getting me a set of tow mirrors for my Birthday in a few weeks and she called the dealer and they told her that they couldnt order me tow mirrors because they dont have a part number. They also told her that the only way to get tow mirrors is if it come on the truck stock. I thought this was all bs, have any on you guys heard this crap before?

My wife found some on ebay that are guaranteed OEM tow mirrors with a 1 year warranty for 400$, is that a good price? She said that the guy on ebay said that the warranty was covered by any toyota dealer because when they send the mirrors they will come with a dealer invoice. Does any of that sound fishy or is it legit?

Thanks guys

Reactions: bamaking365

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The dealer is an idiot if they said that. My dealer looked them up with the part numbers I supplied them and ordered them at cost for me. I paid 440 or 450 with tax for OEM. Look through my posts for the part numbers.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Tow mirrors are better for towing and DD if set properly. They look better in a lifted truck than a stock one I think anyways lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
My wife is getting me a set of tow mirrors for my Birthday in a few weeks and she called the dealer and they told her that they couldnt order me tow mirrors because they dont have a part number. They also told her that the only way to get tow mirrors is if it come on the truck stock. I thought this was all bs, have any on you guys heard this crap before?

My wife found some on ebay that are guaranteed OEM tow mirrors with a 1 year warranty for 400$, is that a good price? She said that the guy on ebay said that the warranty was covered by any toyota dealer because when they send the mirrors they will come with a dealer invoice. Does any of that sound fishy or is it legit?

Thanks guys
I got told the same thing at my dealership. And some other bs about it screwing with the compass but I don't believe that. I found some on 1aauto for $245 for the set. I don't have them and my dads does and I don't really care for them all that much. I have the cipa slip on mirrors and they work great for my toy hauler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think i paid around $300 for ebay mirrors and they work fine for me. I'll never go back to the small mirrors again. These totally eliminate blind spots and don't have to turn to check nearly as much. Plus I can actually see my tires out of these mirrors so i can park ridiculously close to curbs without hitting anything.

I only have about 1" of clearance on either side when pulling in to my garage but that's the price to pay for having much better visibility

1 - 20 of 27 Posts