Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, question for you all. I just bought a Tundra Crewmax 2013 SR5 4x2
and i'm thinking about buying a travel trailer. a WAVE 29BHS to be exact (29ft 8 inc)- specs attached. based on what i been reading i can tow up to 9900 lbs.
based on the Tundra specs for my truck 5.7L V8 the GVWR is 7000 which is 300 less than what the trailer shows.

do you guys think i'll have any problems towing this travel trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
You should be fine with that. Your biggest limitation is tongue weight. Your probably be close to 800# loaded up with all of your stuff, propane, battery, etc

Depending on the size of your family you might be limited on what you can carry in the bed, while trying to stay under your payload rating.

definitely get a good Weight distributing hitch

·
Registered
182 Posts
based on your spec sheet the weight of the trailer you are looking at is 5500lb. dry weight is the weight before you put anything else in, be that water, clothing, toys, food, etc. the gvwr would be a combo of the dry weight plus the capacity it can hold. you should be just fine. i have a 24ft toy hauler and i can forget it is back there. do yourself a favor n get a good weight distribution set and i would also get a sway control for one that long.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Also, so you are aware, the GVWR of 7000 is the total weight limit for your Tundra only. The total weight limit of your Tundra + Trailer is the GCVW rating and I believe that is 16,000 pounds.

The actual trailers on the lot usually weigh a few hundred pounds more than the advertised dry weight due to add-ons. There should be an actual weight sticker on the trailer you look at. With that said, you should be fine with that size camper just don't expect wonderful MPG when towing it.

Hi All, question for you all. I just bought a Tundra Crewmax 2013 SR5 4x2
and i'm thinking about buying a travel trailer. a WAVE 29BHS to be exact (29ft 8 inc)- specs attached. based on what i been reading i can tow up to 9900 lbs.
based on the Tundra specs for my truck 5.7L V8 the GVWR is 7000 which is 300 less than what the trailer shows.

do you guys think i'll have any problems towing this travel trailer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, so you are aware, the GVWR of 7000 is the total weight limit for your Tundra only. The total weight limit of your Tundra + Trailer is the GCVW rating and I believe that is 16,000 pounds.

The actual trailers on the lot usually weigh a few hundred pounds more than the advertised dry weight due to add-ons. There should be an actual weight sticker on the trailer you look at. With that said, you should be fine with that size camper just don't expect wonderful MPG when towing it.
Thanks.. Makes total sense.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
The bigger question is how far will you be towing and do you have experience? Thats a big trailer so you have a way lower safety margin.
I only say that because someone who is a veteran, would probably know the answer.
I tell new people to buy a smaller maybe used unit to wreck first, just like a teen with their first car

·
Registered
243 Posts
You should be fine, just watch your payload. That is where 1/2T trucks run into issues. We have plenty of power to pull with ease. My setup is close in weight as that TT you are looking at, I am 6400# loaded up with a 800# tongue weight. Truck barely knows its back there but I am maxed out in payload with my family packed up and ready to go.

Get a good WD hitch - Reese Dual Cam, Blue Ox, Equal-i-zer are the popular ones. Each has their pros and cons so read up and then pick. They are all good.

Air up your tires to max pressure on your Tundra if you have regular P tires on it. If you have Load Range E tires then you dont need to max them out. I am guessing you just have the P tires and you want to run around 45psi in them (the max cold inflation value stamped on the sidewall of tire). That will make sure they can handle the weight and also take some squirm out of them.

When setting up your WD hitch, take your time to do it right. Most dealers dont do it right, they want you up and out the door quickly. A small tweak here or there will make a huge difference in towing comfort and safety. Its not hard, you just need to read up or watch videos at places like etrailer.com

·
Registered
2,434 Posts

Isn't the CM's GCVW more like 15,400? I read up on it after buying my new HTT. My rig is going to end up in the 6,500# loaded range. Im still going with a WD hitch though, better safe than sorry.

And you are correct, the actual weight will be different. the published numbers are before ANY optional equipment or consumables (A/C, Propane, Water, gear etc.).

Reactions: 2010

·
Registered
243 Posts
BigNuge - last I looked anything over 500# of tongue weight and a WD was required period on a Tundra. 6500# loaded and you are looking around 850# in tongue weight to make it tow well.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Page 271 of this owners manual says a CM has a rating of 16,000 with the tow package if I am reading it right.

Isn't the CM's GCVW more like 15,400? I read up on it after buying my new HTT. My rig is going to end up in the 6,500# loaded range. Im still going with a WD hitch though, better safe than sorry.

And you are correct, the actual weight will be different. the published numbers are before ANY optional equipment or consumables (A/C, Propane, Water, gear etc.).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That trailer is cake for the Tundra. I use an Equalizer hitch and love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put a gooseneck in my 07 CrewMax and tow a 32' horse trailer.....my GCW ended up at 17,000# the other day!!!! you will be fine!!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You will be fine. Just get a weight distrabution hitch and I use timberlins. Helps with stability and keeping the truck nice and level. My previous trailer was a Jayco 29BHS same exact set up as yours and my 2012 Crew max pulled it great.

My old set up..

[/IMG]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts