Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you pull a 5th wheel trailer with the 6.5 bed Tundra?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow!!! Let the numbers do the talking! And these are unloaded numbers!
D10C5B6B-4E2C-488A-A18E-277137CDFBB6.jpeg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unloaded is 8794, but on my 2019 max is only 10,300 which is max on my truck. Perfect max. Hitch weight on mine is 1380, they raised that also. They raised the numbers on the new ones. We also don't carry any fresh water and only bring what we need. I have several cabinets that are empty, we travel light. Truck does great towing and we don't get pushed around either.
camping.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you pull a 5th wheel trailer with the 6.5 bed Tundra?
U.P. Lookup your VIN number on the toyota.com owners page. it will tell you the exact payload capacity and towing capacity for your vehicle. This is important as these numbers vary widely depending on what equipment you have. PIN weight is the important number for your fifth wheel - you will run out of payload capaity (weight in the bed) before you exceed the towing weight which is more important for travel trailers. Everyones Tundra will be different. You also wan to have the factory installed towing package to get the Heavy duty brakes, larger transmission cooler and higher ratio differential. Bigger number (like 4.1) is better for towing,

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yes you can. I pull mine with a 5.5’ bed with a cross bed tool box as well. Mine is a livin light quicksilver VRV. 6500lbs dry. I’m actually camping now. And a couple weeks ago did a 1500 mile 3 state trip with it. No issues.

I fully recommend a gooseneck hitch and andersen 5th wheel hitch. Will be easier on you and help with payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Great replies, thank you. Thinking about a new Tundra.
To be honest, my next truck is going to be a F250 diesel. The tundra pulls it pretty good but on the interstate it struggles a bit even in flat south Louisiana. And I’m at or slightly above max payload. If I was looking to get a 5er I’d be looking at 3/4 tons for sure. The tundra can and will do it but more truck will make it a more enjoyable tow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
U.P Tundra - if this is about a new truck - go with a 3/4 ton. The specs on the tundra are too close to the payload limit. Our Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite had a hitch weight of 1184 and our particular build of the Tundra had a 1600 lb payload capacity. (which is quite high compared to other builds) Reduce that by the weight of passengers and cargo (400lb +) in the truck and increase the hitch weight a bit for cargo in the trailer and its right on the limit. Ours towed just fine but looking back I would not do it again in a half ton truck. A few weeks ago we got hit by a freak gust of wind (70 mph) out in Wyoming and this happened.
20200713_161225.jpg

We just got blown over - all it took was a split second. I don't think this would have happened if we would have been towing with a 3/4 ton truck. It adds at least another 1000 lbs of weight on the road and payload capacities in the 2000+ lb range.

So.... it is "possible" to tow ... but should you is the question. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
U.P Tundra - if this is about a new truck - go with a 3/4 ton. The specs on the tundra are too close to the payload limit. Our Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite had a hitch weight of 1184 and our particular build of the Tundra had a 1600 lb payload capacity. (which is quite high compared to other builds) Reduce that by the weight of passengers and cargo (400lb +) in the truck and increase the hitch weight a bit for cargo in the trailer and its right on the limit. Ours towed just fine but looking back I would not do it again in a half ton truck. A few weeks ago we got hit by a freak gust of wind (70 mph) out in Wyoming and this happened. View attachment 882991

We just got blown over - all it took was a split second. I don't think this would have happened if we would have been towing with a 3/4 ton truck. It adds at least another 1000 lbs of weight on the road and payload capacities in the 2000+ lb range.

So.... it is "possible" to tow ... but should you is the question. Buyer beware.
Holy smokes glad you guys were ok. I thankfully haven’t experienced anything like that, and I’ve had my fair share of bad weather towing.

If I was buying a truck to tow a 5er definitely at least a 3/4 ton. I pull it with the tundra because I already have the truck and it’s paid off. I came close to buying a 2020 f250 a couple months ago but couldn’t pull the trigger on a 60k truck. And there is nothing wrong with my tundra to warrant a replacement. Even at 7 years and 100k miles. The 10 speed and new tuning to their diesel is awesome to drive. Would make towing effortless with my light camper.
Maybe in a few more years.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy smokes glad you guys were ok. I thankfully haven’t experienced anything like that, and I’ve had my fair share of bad weather towing.

If I was buying a truck to tow a 5er definitely at least a 3/4 ton. I pull it with the tundra because I already have the truck and it’s paid off. I came close to buying a 2020 f250 a couple months ago but couldn’t pull the trigger on a 60k truck. And there is nothing wrong with my tundra to warrant a replacement. Even at 7 years and 100k miles. The 10 speed and new tuning to their diesel is awesome to drive. Would make towing effortless with my light camper.
Maybe in a few more years.....

Thanks for your concern. I was.in the same position having the Tundra before we upgraded to the larger fiver. I will check out the F250 you recommended.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Note convinced a slightly larger ( but heavier) F250 would not have blown over .

4x4 F250 will sit higher than a Tundra 4x4
And that trailer has ALLOT of flat side square footage, regardless of what is towing it

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think it would have made a difference, 70 mph winds. It is a large sail. Semi trucks flip over also, just have to be the right conditions. Just glad everyone is ok. That is what matters. Hate that you went thru that, must have been crazy scary.
I pull a 5th wheel but don't drive in certain conditions, I could never forgive myself if something happened to my family. When 70 mph winds hit my house (in past storms) we go down to the basement and avoid windows etc. We have a lot of large trees around also.
Again just glad everyone is ok, I hate seeing this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts