Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody else towing similar sized TT or TH's over the passes in relative comfort. I am pretty confident that my 2015 5.7 is up to the task but coming from a diesel I will be curious how she does.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Anybody else towing similar sized TT or TH's over the passes in relative comfort. I am pretty confident that my 2015 5.7 is up to the task but coming from a diesel I will be curious how she does.
Don't get me wrong, the Tundra is a great truck and is going to do it but your gonna wish you had your diesel back.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Just make sure you use tow haul on the inclines at least. But she will do fine! What diesel did you come out of 3/4, 1 ton maybe larger?

Is the TT/TH loaded at the 8k, if so your fine! If unloaded you'll feel it a bit more especially if your closer to 10.5k but mostly based on other aspects. Let's say proper load balancing and length. Engine is insane nothing to worry there.

Rest assure with a good quality break controller and reasonable speeds tundra is very comfortable...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Remember diesels are usually FI's Forced induction, tundras mainly are NA's Normally aspirated.. unless lucky with a magnuson supercharger, normal aspirated engines love the revolutions per minute to sustain the torque curve which makes the 5.7iforce a healthy engine..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just make sure you use tow haul on the inclines at least. But she will do fine! What diesel did you come out of 3/4, 1 ton maybe larger?

Is the TT/TH loaded at the 8k, if so your fine! If unloaded you'll feel it a bit more especially if your closer to 10.5k but mostly based on other aspects. Let's say proper load balancing and length. Engine is insane nothing to worry there.

Rest assure with a good quality break controller and reasonable speeds tundra is very comfortable...
RAM 2500 CTD 4x4. I usually run M mode while towing and I have read that tow haul does not work in M mode? I also read that in M you get decent control in 4th gear and lower but I am not sure? I have that I have a Tekonsha P2 so we are good there and the TH is 8K loaded.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Get the Torque App, install it on a 7" or 10.1" Android tablet computer or a large screen Android smartphone and use it on your trip. There are a number of threads here on TT that discuss configuring it to monitor your Tundra's various systems. I use this app whenever I tow to monitor the coolant temp, Tranny Temp, Tranny Pan Temp and other things. The Tundra is a great truck and the Torque App is a great tool to have when towing.

Reactions: Blender

·
Registered
164 Posts
I app the feedback. I am not any big hurry so I'll just have to let her REV..

I think you'll be fine I have a fifth wheel and engoy every bit of towing her. She is empty 10064lbs with a pin hitch weight of 1990 empty! All I did was add the air lift suspension for comfort and simply add 62 psi to a split T for the bags.. the fifth wheel is 39'4" long with three slides.. I have been doing it for 2 and a half years now.

The truck is a 2015 and the camper is also. I just make sure my tire pressures are constant and I do have load E range mud tires on the truck and load range E on the fifth wheel. I have pulled it over 80 passing and slight incline but mainly keep a cruise control speed of 60 which my speedo is off by about 5mph so really gps'd at 65.4 mph mostly Texas Louisiana Mississippi Alabama and Tennessee.

I will say I almost pooped muh pants when I was on i10 west after San Antonio Texas as there is some crazy hills around a town called kerrville tx. I slowed down to around a consistent 50mph not because I couldn't go faster but because the damn gas stations got further apart!!! I didn't get so lucky to get a 38 gallon tank I have a 26 currently looking to upgrade but for now I just keep 2 five gallon tanks of extra fuel with me!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Get the Torque App, install it on a 7" or 10.1" Android tablet computer or a large screen Android smartphone and use it on your trip. There are a number of threads here on TT that discuss configuring it to monitor your Tundra's various systems. I use this app whenever I tow to monitor the coolant temp, Tranny Temp, Tranny Pan Temp and other things. The Tundra is a great truck and the Torque App is a great tool to have when towing.

I agree with Charlie I'm currently lookin into this also! Watching this numbers are important not only for tundra but all vehicles..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you'll be fine I have a fifth wheel and engoy every bit of towing her. She is empty 10064lbs with a pin hitch weight of 1990 empty! All I did was add the air lift suspension for comfort and simply add 62 psi to a split T for the bags.. the fifth wheel is 39'4" long with three slides.. I have been doing it for 2 and a half years now.

The truck is a 2015 and the camper is also. I just make sure my tire pressures are constant and I do have load E range mud tires on the truck and load range E on the fifth wheel. I have pulled it over 80 passing and slight incline but mainly keep a cruise control speed of 60 which my speedo is off by about 5mph so really gps'd at 65.4 mph mostly Texas Louisiana Mississippi Alabama and Tennessee.

I will say I almost pooped muh pants when I was on i10 west after San Antonio Texas as there is some crazy hills around a town called kerrville tx. I slowed down to around a consistent 50mph not because I couldn't go faster but because the damn gas stations got further apart!!! I didn't get so lucky to get a 38 gallon tank I have a 26 currently looking to upgrade but for now I just keep 2 five gallon tanks of extra fuel with me!
Thanks. BTW - I know exactly what you are talking about as I have towed my TH out to West Texas on I10. - My solution - I installed the Transfer Flow 46 gal. replacement tank for my 15 CM - sooo much better...worth every penny in my eyes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you ever caught anything while using this App that you had to make an adjustment for? Ie. high tranny temps?

The instrument panel has a tranny temp gauge, but I'm pretty sure the needle will only move past 'normal' if things get bad because I've never seen mine move up at all while towing.

I could see monitoring things super close if you're towing crazy heavy. With a stock Tundra towing a reasonable load (6-8,000lbs), I'd think you're pretty safe to just assume Toyota built the truck to do the job without breaking a sweat?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks. BTW - I know exactly what you are talking about as I have towed my TH out to West Texas on I10. - My solution - I installed the Transfer Flow 46 gal. replacement tank for my 15 CM - sooo much better...worth every penny in my eyes.

Really that's the one I'm looking at.. Good I'm glad to hear that I'm prob gonna end up pulling the trigger..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have you ever caught anything while using this App that you had to make an adjustment for? Ie. high tranny temps?

The instrument panel has a tranny temp gauge, but I'm pretty sure the needle will only move past 'normal' if things get bad because I've never seen mine move up at all while towing.

I could see monitoring things super close if you're towing crazy heavy. With a stock Tundra towing a reasonable load (6-8,000lbs), I'd think you're pretty safe to just assume Toyota built the truck to do the job without breaking a sweat?
I guess it depends on one's definition of a normal tranny temp or what tranny temp one considers too high. It would be interesting to know what Toyota considers normal and high for a Tundra transmission. As now now, I have not seen that Toyota has published that information.

My '12 has the tranny temp gauge in the dash cluster. When I tow, my car hauler weighs 5,500 to 6,000 pounds. When climbing 5-10 mile long grades that are 5-9 degrees from 1,000 to almost 4,000 feet I have seen the tranny temp go from 190 to 200 range to 215-220+ range. During those same climbs the tranny pan temp goes from the 190 to 200 range to the high 230s to mid to upper 240s range. FYI, the tranny temp gauge on my dash does not appear to move much at all regardless if the temp is 190 or pushing 250.

FYI, when I am towing I am usually in the 55-65 mph range. Slower climbing a grade and faster coming down the mountain. When my tranny temps stay in the high ranges for more than a few minutes I will usually drop from "D" to S4 or even S3. That keeps the tranny from trying to use overdrive and does increase RPMs. The benefit of doing this is that drops the both tranny temps back down to the lower ranges.

For some here that might be too much work to do keep an eye on the temps and drop out of "D" on occasion. For me, that is part of towing and taking care of my Tundra. I want to maximize it's service life since I want to get another 5+ years out of this truck. Maybe by then Toyota will have a truly NEW Generation Tundra that will have new engine & drivetrain options and increased cargo and towing capacity. Hey a guy can dream can't he?

·
Registered
347 Posts
You will be fine! Tow a 6500 lb tt in the sw desert and mountains all the time. Mid 3000 rpm is the sweet spot for climbing long hills. Pulled tt up a long 17 mile grade. Outside temp was 115 so I kept the a/c on also. Performed like a champ! Downhill start slow and downshift into 3rd gear if needed. 2nd gear works good for 25-30 mph curves while descending.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.