Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After arriving at the campground I noticed there was a tear on the power cable that plugs into the truck. It looked like a clean cut and maybe two wires are severed. A quick check showed that my left signal was not working. My best guess is the cable got between two moving parts on the hitch while I was making a sharp turn and pinched it? I don't know. What are my options? I'll check the owners manual to see what wires I need. I just wonder if I need it. Can I cut and reattach?

·
Registered
607 Posts
slice the insulation back, strip the wire, butt splice it together. Wrap well with electrical tape. You need signals, brake lites, and running lites. The only "spare" would be the 12vdc to run your fridge / charge the trailer battery.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Just strip the wires back, twist them back together and cover each connection with electrical tape. Should be fine till you get back home and do a more permanent fix. Solder and heat shrink is what I would do. Then cover the whole thing (near the hitch) in a split loom or something to prevent it from happening again.
If it got pinched and cut, you might need to check your fuses. If you had your signal on when it was cut, then you might have shorted it out when it was grounded.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Depending on the age of your power harness, you might consider installing a heavy duty replacement.

I recently swapped out the power harness on one of my trailers with this:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LL0CO/[/ame]

To aid troubleshooting down the road I used one of these:
Amazon.com: Conntek 10000 BX Trailer 6 or 7 Pole Junction Box: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I tidied up all the wiring and any slack using these:
Amazon.com: JT&T Products (4470F) - Santoprene Insulated Clamps with 5/8" Inner Diameter and 1/4" Mounting Hole, 10 Pcs.: Automotive

To prevent corrosion when not in use I added these to all my trailers. The plug, when not in use, clips inside the guard to prevent water and dirt ingress.
Amazon.com: Plug Guard - 7 Way: Automotive

It took a few hours in total to complete, but I know I won't have problems down the road.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I like that last plug. Good idea.

Reactions: ponyuk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love the junction box! Thanks for sharing. That'll make it super easy to install a switch to manually light the running lights, and a flasher to run the emergency lights autonomously (if I ever have to leave the trailer roadside). Very nice.

Reactions: ponyuk

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ponyuk,

Where on the trailer did you mount the junction box? Thanks. I just ordered one.

Nate
I put mine on the V of the tongue, close to the trailer bed, face up, for easy access.
If I have a problem, I open the cover and can easily use a volt meter to probe each line.

I recently replaced the wood deck in two trailers, and as I do I completely rewire them, and add side markers to them. I tuck the new wiring as high up in the frame as I can as many of my trailers also get used in my pastures. I always use a junction box now. I'm not guessing if a wire got snagged on brush, or I have some other fault.
On the horses trailers I plan to add a power assist jack for the wife, a simple job now I have the junction boxes.

Get the plug guards too. They do a great job of keeping the plug clean and corrosion free. They also keep the cord out of the way of mowers, brush hogs, and our young puppies :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts