Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So the good news is I love my 2011 RWCM that I picked up about 2 weeks ago. The bad news is all the $$$$ I spend on mods could lead to divorce :)
So far, I leveled her out, installed info buttons, installed Advent OTOTUN1 head unit, and just yesterday installed TRD rear sway bar. Now the question is TOW mirrors or not.
Background, my truck is a daily driver, but I do have a travel trailer that I will tow on average about 5-10 times a year. Pretty local trips 50-250 miles. The two times I've towed so far, I do have some blindspots with the regular mirrors, but nothing crazy with the help of my DW co-pilot.
Here is my own rationale about the tow mirrors.

Pros--
Will def help out vision when towing
Truck looks more "trucky"
Will add blinker onto mirror
Semi easy install

Cons--
PRICE
Will add width to truck, already tight in some spots and tough to park
Not worth $$$ for how often I tow

I definetely will not get new Toyota OEM mirrors. (can't justify the price). Have seen some decent deals on used ones on craigslist and ebay. Anybody have any luck with the aftermarket OEM style ones. Also thinking about maybe the CIPA slip ons for just when I tow.

Any suggestions and or advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have tow mirrors on my 2012 Texas Edition Tundra, and honestly i LOVE them. I like you, pull every now and then, from trailers to our boat to go to the lake, adn they come in VERY handy!! and you are right they do look alot more "trucky". I'd say go for it and get them, you wouldnt regret it, and when you park, just fold them in, thats what i do. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I believe the factory tow mirrors stick out 1.5 inches more than stock. Some guys have said that aftermarkets were fine then they started to have problems a year later. $200 each on trd sparks for oem

·
Registered
33 Posts
we had slip on's on our silverado before. there good for the price and for folks that dont tow a lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ordered mine a few weeks ago from the link below. Talk to 1ATony on here. Very happy with them so far and like them much better than stock. Build quality and packaging seems good and works as expected. Turn signal and auxiliary lights work with my '12 TRD. As long as they hold up, I am very satisfied and wouldn't go back.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/Toyota/Tundra/1AMRP00366/351408

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The tow mirrors is one the the best things I ever put on my truck. I have much better vision that factory mirrors even when not towing anything, and they look better too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I couldn't disagree more on the functionality of the tow mirrors. I have them and love the looks. Mine created a huge blind spot on my passenger side. I keep them because they look good but I could see much better out of the standard ones.

Maybe my issues are related to viewing angles and/or lift height but from a functionality stand point mine suck.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I bought aftermarket towmirrors TWICE:p First ones I got were OEM "style" from E-Bay.They were 'quirky' everytime I needed to adjust them.Had to hold both control buttons together to get the direction I wanted; returned them.Next was a pair of "GM Style",they rattled and had adjustment issues too(probably same power-contol vender for both mirrors);returned them too.Finally bought a pair of Toyota OEM's from Sparks.I "fixed" the tiny portion of convex on Toyota's mirrors by adding a pair of Q-Works 'C-Better' spot mirrors.Got the convexes on the bottom adjusted for the rear wheels when backing up.The round spots take care of everything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I can say this, I wish my truck had tow mirrors. For the few times I tow, its always a really wide trailer so the stock mirrors just aren't hardly wide enough for making turns while backing up, I can see fine for lane changes, and that sort of stuff, but to back up and maneuver it really makes that chore hard without the towing mirrors. If I could go back and order a truck with them I would recommend them. Not sure if the stock towing mirrors on these trucks are power extend and retract and if they have the mirror defogger feature but those would be something else I would consider as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i heard with tow mirrors its harder to view your back wheels while back parking that is why i choose to stick to my factory mirrors. I do agree the tow mirrors look nice and the turn signal function is beneficial

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Truck would not fit in my garage with them....Yes, the garage is that tight.

Next house, truck gets the tow mirrors 4.5 inch lift and 35s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I couldn't disagree more on the functionality of the tow mirrors. I have them and love the looks. Mine created a huge blind spot on my passenger side. I keep them because they look good but I could see much better out of the standard ones.

Maybe my issues are related to viewing angles and/or lift height but from a functionality stand point mine suck.

I agree, love the look however unlike other similar style mirrors on the other BIG 3 manufacturers there is no convex (fish eye) on the lower mirror which is the best feature with this style mirror.. I to have blind spots on the Driver and passenger side. These mirrors, thanks to telescoping make towing my 37' 5th wheel possible.. A must have for towing,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I bought my k2 aftermarket mirrors on ebay and have good luck with them. I used the CIPPA slip ons for a while and liked them but tow about every other weekend and got tired of putting them on. They are for sale if you want to try them first. 35 bucks shipped. I would say that I liked the sport mirrors more than the towing mirrors for every day driving because you dont have the split to worry about.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts

Agree to disagree. I'd be interested to compare ours and see if they are any different

·
Registered
701 Posts
Agree to disagree. I'd be interested to compare ours and see if they are any different

I agree. too many people on here claim they help for me to not believe them. I've adjusted mine again and again. When I get them adjusted so I can see to back up I have the blind spot. I can adjust them to not have a blind spot, but then I can't hardly see to back up. They're so bad I have contemplated selling them but I like the looks too much to let them go. I just have to be extra careful on the interstate.

As far as comparing goes the ones I have are the factory towing mirrors. They came off of a work truck. I traded him my standard mirrors for them. I am pretty sure I have pictures of them in my build log- link in signature. They have defroster, power top mirror, led turn signal and marker light. The lower, convex mirror is manual adjust.

Other details- I'm 6'3" and sit with my seat 1 click from all the way back. Truck has 7" lift and 37" tires. Something with my viewing angle and truck setup really just doesn't match up to my mirrors.

It's not a lack of ability to use towing mirrors or mirrors in general. My brother has a 2500 Cummins with towing mirrors and I can see great out of them. I had the standard mirrors on my previous Tundra and on this one for a short while. They worked great.

The only thing I have not tried is extend the mirrors. Possibly that would change my viewing angle. I may try that soon.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I agree. too many people on here claim they help for me to not believe them. I've adjusted mine again and again. When I get them adjusted so I can see to back up I have the blind spot. I can adjust them to not have a blind spot, but then I can't hardly see to back up. They're so bad I have contemplated selling them but I like the looks too much to let them go. I just have to be extra careful on the interstate.

As far as comparing goes the ones I have are the factory towing mirrors. They came off of a work truck. I traded him my standard mirrors for them. I am pretty sure I have pictures of them in my build log- link in signature. They have defroster, power top mirror, led turn signal and marker light. The lower, convex mirror is manual adjust.

Other details- I'm 6'3" and sit with my seat 1 click from all the way back. Truck has 7" lift and 37" tires. Something with my viewing angle and truck setup really just doesn't match up to my mirrors.

It's not a lack of ability to use towing mirrors or mirrors in general. My brother has a 2500 Cummins with towing mirrors and I can see great out of them. I had the standard mirrors on my previous Tundra and on this one for a short while. They worked great.

The only thing I have not tried is extend the mirrors. Possibly that would change my viewing angle. I may try that soon.

Just curious, how big of a difference do you think the height of your vehicle may play in blind spots. I too am looking to purchase bur my vehicle will remain at stock height.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just curious, how big of a difference do you think the height of your vehicle may play in blind spots. I too am looking to purchase bur my vehicle will remain at stock height.
I couldn't really say for sure, but it does make it harder to spot them when I look out the windows to double check. When the average car gets in my blind spot I can barely spot the top of it out my windows.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Frankly, I like both mirrors. I don't think tow mirrors makes one's truck 'trucky,' but, hey, if you think they do, go for it. It's just not functional for me. I occasionally fold in my sport mirrors. If I were to install tow mirrors, I would have to fold them in every time. (due to small lots, narrow streets, etc.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts