Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 4.7 DC that is not equipped with a tow package, I've found a factory tow bar with wiring on craigslist, now just wondering how much of a PITA adding the switch will be. Anyone have any exp with this?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 2010 4.6L, also without the tow option, but from what I've read, it's more complicated than just adding the switch. From what I gather, the switch is for the tow/haul mode which encompasses more than just hooking up your trailer. Tow/haul mode includes specific gears, a transmission cooler, and may contain other things that I don't know of. I would very much like to find an OEM hitch, I check CL everyday but haven't had much luck yet. Hopefully someone else with a little more knowledge can weigh in on the subject and help you out more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
much more than a switch !

You're right fitz09,
Other components of the tow package include a transmission temp guage, transmission cooler, 4.30 gear ratio, tow/haul mode which uses a different shift pattern which holds each gear a little longer and I believe, uses the engine as a brake on hills, 10.5" ring gear in the rearend instead of the standard 9.5" (which basically is a 3/4 ton rearend), and I think there are changes in the spring pack /payload as well. And there may be other items I've left out. This Truck is REALLY built right for towing if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
tow haul is only available with the 6 speed tranny that is mated with the 5.7

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tow/haul

Oh, and I left out that the package also includes a heavy duty Alternator, receiver hitch, pre-wired for brake controller and 4 pin/5 pin connector at receiver... What else guys??

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Your post could be read a few ways, so I just wanted to say my 4.6L with tow package has the tow/haul feature, so the motor choice doesn't matter. :cool:
hmmm........i always thought the tow haul button was part of the 6sp tranny (which is with the 5.7). i could have swore i read that on there somewhere in the past. maybe the guy i was listening to didnt know what the hell he was talking about either lol.

anywho....thanks for setting me straight

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
realllllly? the 4.7 didnt, did it?

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
I'll confirm...the 08 4.7 DC with towing package doesn't have a 6spd or a tow haul button.

It does have all the other towing goodies but for whatever reason, no switch. Wish it did.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Because apparently the 4.7L 2UZ-FE was a different architecture and a hold-over from the "classic Tundra" and other applications while the later 4.6L 1UR-FE is just a scaled down 5.7L 3UR-FE, same oil filter set up and all.

The 4.7L was a cast iron design, while the 5.7L as far as I have read is an aluminum design.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Both 6 Spds are just essentially the old 5spd with an extra gear. Of course different ratios, and beefed up, but essentially the same. The old 5spd did not have tow hual mode. There is a video on Youtube somewhere that explains the new 4.6, and transmission. In the vid the Toyota Engineer talks about how similar the transmissions are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just brought a 2012 SR5 w/4.6 engine i got the tow package on the infor sheet that comes with the new truck it states that i have brake controller prewire, 4.100 rear axle ratio, Tow/Haul switch, transmission fliud temperature gauge, supplemental engine oil cooler, supplemental tranmission coller, heavy duty battery, 170 amp alternator, and 7-pin connector. But i do not have a tow/haul switch in my truck.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
To the OP:

So what if you don't have the tow haul switch. You have 6 gears that you can shift at your discretion. The tow/haul button just drags out the shift point a bit. You can do that yourself by running in "S" mode.

You have a truck, you want a reciever hitch, so do it. These truck are built good and tough, regardless of the 5.7 or 4.6. Just pay attention to your listed towing capacities and go slow.

Later

KO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tow/haul

Thanks guys I found the switch on the gear shift. I have had this truck for just a little over a month. I had a 2009 tundra and i thought this tundra was the same, with 5 gears and i didn't think about the gears shift having the switch. i have found the 6 gear just other day and with your help the Tow/Haul switch thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts