Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just put a Toytec Boss 3 inch lift in my 2015 DC Tundra, and am looking at getting new upper control arms to correct my alignment. I'm looking into the Total Chaos uca's, but living in Vermont with the harsh winter conditions, I'm starting to consider ball joint uca's. If I get Total Chaos upper control arms, is it possible to just keep up with maintenance during the winter to avoid problems with the uniball?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
In salt, I would avoid a uniball if possible. Look at the Icon's or even the SPC they both use a regular style balljoint. The Icon uses a new style upper balljoint with almost as much articulation as a uniball but it is sealed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think I’m gonna go with a ball joint style uca. After doing some research it sounds like the uniball would be a bunch of maintenance to keep up with them in the winter. I’ve heard the Icon delta joint tubular arms are difficult to align. So I might just go with the spc arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah I think I’m gonna go with a ball joint style uca. After doing some research it sounds like the uniball would be a bunch of maintenance to keep up with them in the winter. I’ve heard the Icon delta joint tubular arms are difficult to align. So I might just go with the spc arms.

I have heard the same about the Icons, no so much that they are tough but the castor is a bit drastic. I love the idea of the delta joint though, not gonna lie. I just installed the SPC a couple weeks ago and so far so good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice man! I also see that the Total Chaos is one of the uniball uca’s that has a stainless uniball. So it won’t rust. How would the salt wear out the uniball?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice man! I also see that the Total Chaos is one of the uniball uca’s that has a stainless uniball. So it won’t rust. How would the salt wear out the uniball?

Honestly, I was under the impression that most were stainless. The big problem is that it all really depends on the grade of stainless they use. Here in KC I have seen more than a few bind up in the joint for the uniball and then snap. I think the opening for the uniball itself is more of what is compromised. There is just so much maintenance required when they are exposed to weather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I just got ordered the SPC, hopefully they work out good! I hear a lot of great things about them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah I just got ordered the SPC, hopefully they work out good! I hear a lot of great things about them.
A few years ago, there were some issues with some of their stuff. But there new UCAs are solid. I installed mine on the standard setting and the Camber was spot on. I do wish the mount bushings had grease zerts. only complaint though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts