Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2014 TRD and have been looking at toppers for hunting purposes and just overall storage for the toys. Does anyone know if there is a universal for chart for these or any good choices to go with? Like will Ford, Chevy or Dodge toppers will also fit? It's got the standard 6.5 foot bed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I got a 2014 TRD and have been looking at toppers for hunting purposes and just overall storage for the toys. Does anyone know if there is a universal for chart for these or any good choices to go with? Like will Ford, Chevy or Dodge toppers will also fit? It's got the standard 6.5 foot bed.
As far as I know, there are no universal fit toppers. Besides bed length, there are difference in width and height in relation to the cab. I think the top edge of the beds are also likely different.

I have had three trucks: A Ford Ranger and two Tundras. All have had fiberglass toppers and all were color-matched to the truck. All three had great color matches. Fiberglass toppers are typically also shaped to provide decent seams between the specific cab shape.

My Ranger had a Century brand. Rugged, but the paint started failing in 6 years.

Both of my Tundras were/are outfitted with ARE brand toppers. Both are vastly superior to the Century brand. Paint looked as good new at 15 years on my first Tundra, and it was parked outside for 11 of those years. The new Tundra is less than a year old but I expect it will perform as well as the old one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is definitely molded to the cab of the truck, and built to fit the wide lip on our tailgates. I just had an ARE CX model put on my 2015 and I absolutely love it so far.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Snugtop Xtra Vision 2014 Tundra

The best looking topper (fit, finish, color match) for 2014+ Tundra is the SnugTop Xtra Vision XV. It's also the most expensive. Huge oversized sliders with curved glass. Really nice pro-lock handle.

Ive owned 6 camper shells over the years and SnugTop is hands down the best. Here's some photos I found while search for images of a 6.5' SnugTop canopy on 2014+ Tundra Double Cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
ARE Overland cap for me and my Inferno PRO. Love it.

E

·
Registered
387 Posts
While I don't disagree Snugtops are really good, the ARE Z series looks better inside and out then the one you posted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
While I don't disagree Snugtops are really good, the ARE Z series looks better inside and out then the one you posted.
I dont care for the lines of the ARE or the hard sloping rear window. And the z-series standard windows are useless for camping or for dogs, they only tilt out 2" or so. The slider window option offers really small windows, and crappy plastic trim around them. And the ARE doesnt wrap over the edge of the the bed like the snugtop, with a cheap trim piece covering their shoddy fiberglass edge work.

The snugtop is the best, period.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I dont care for the lines of the ARE or the hard sloping rear window. And the z-series standard windows are useless for camping or for dogs, they only tilt out 2" or so. The slider window option offers really small windows, and crappy plastic trim around them. And the ARE doesnt wrap over the edge of the the bed like the snugtop, with a cheap trim piece covering their shoddy fiberglass edge work.

The snugtop is the best, period.
That's your opinion, period.

I went with ARE specifically because I hate the looks of the snug tops that wrap over the edge.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
There is no best. There is only the best for you. Snugtops are way overpriced. For some that is not an issue or maybe a sense of "pride"
One of the mfg makes a hunter/fisher special edition if that is important to you.
A bigger question may be cap height. I wanted cab height as I have yakima bars on mine and a 3rd for the cab so I can put a 40' ladder on top. But I cannot fit a quad in the back. Luckily I don't own one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i got a quote from a Leer dealer for the 100R for $1459 + $60 installed and XR $1659. Since i want the basic topper, i'll probably go w the 100R but in no rush to get it. Since i'm doing other mods with the new toy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had toppers on trucks for about 15 years. The ARE I just had installed is the first one that has side windows that open to allow access. Well worth the couple hundred extra, IMO. The fit and finish on this ARE is not as good as the last one I had but the color match is pretty good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts