1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in the fuel industry. I can document countless occasions where buying unbranded (non Top Tier) fuel harms just about any vehicle - especially fuel injected vehicles. As is true with almost everything, you get what you pay for. Now, if you're buying it to put it in a 1975 Montgomery Wards lawnmower, it probably doesn't matter. In my area, the lower priced locations buy on the spot market, every day. The spot market doesn't really care about additives, quality or RVP in some cases. In fact, it's usually fuel that was leftover as it didn't meet specifications, etc. The other thing to consider - a lot of these lower priced locations will put NL into their PNL tanks. In a 10,000 gallon tank, that is about a 30 cent cost difference, at wholesale (or $3,000) per tank sold. So, they get popped once a year with a $10,000 fine and a slap on the wrist. Big deal, they are still way ahead over a years time. The branded guys can't do this, as they are tested much more frequently and will not only pay a fine, but will also be de-branded. In other words, it's not worth the risk for the branded marketer.

I don't think there is a ton of difference between Top Tier brands, just make sure it's Top Tier. Shell, Phillips 66, etc. They all see to be the best when tested.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is a ton of difference between Top Tier brands, just make sure it's Top Tier. Shell, Phillips 66, etc. They all see to be the best when tested.
I didn't see Sunoco on that list? So I take it they're not a top tier brand?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know about Sunoco. They are not around where I live. I would think they are Top Tier. You might check on their website. If they are, they'll certainly tout it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure that Murphy/Walmart/Sams are not Top Tier. I deal with problems from their fuel all of the time. Once again, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My Supercharged truck HATES Sam's/BJ's discount fuel. It runs like crap.

If you are boosted, stick with the better fuel.
I can't agree with you enough sir, if your boosted go name brand, Shell, Chevron the big dogs, you can really **** your shit up if you do not adhere to that advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
So, how does all of this relate to gas stations that have 100% ethanol free gas? They're certainly not cheaper than the top tier places but pretty much all of them are "non-branded" yet I'm seeing a 2-3 MPG increase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good thread. In running performance vehicle's, I got schooled on this very quickly.

In Colorado Springs, CO I have a couple options: Shell or ConocoPhillips stations.

When I got my Corvette, they were very good at expressing the need for good quality 91 octane or better.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
+2...been using Costco gas for a while and no problems. They have a little sign on the pumps, "5X the cleaning additives required by law" or something to that effect.

Now, I refuse to use Uncle Joe's Convenience Store and Men's Fine Apparel where they probably blend the fuel in the back of the store.

·
Registered
830 Posts
When I bought my diesel car, I thought about the cost of injector replacement. $750 at at the time. Each. Ever since then I've stuck with name brand fuel. Makes no sense to spend >$20k on a vehicle and slowly ruin it on cheapo fuel. I usually take mine past 10 years and 200kmiles.

If I had a beater vehicle, or a vehicle that was say low tech and I *knew* it was tolerant of gas that was missing some additives or otherwise "not as good" I'd have no problem with the cheap stuff. Maybe my Toyota's would be fine on the cheap stuff and a bottle of cleaner every so often, but since it's actually a bit of work to find the cheapo gas stations where I am there would be no savings.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There are stations in the town where I work(pine bluff, AR); that are called speedway. I learned the peed off way to stick to the shells OR Valero. I drive normally on a tank from the local speedways and got horrid mileage about 11-13mpg. I was pissed, running shell and also Valero fuel brings it back to 15-16mpg.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Went with a little top tier BP this evening. We'll see how she likes it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 39 Posts