Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5.7l where is my oil filter? Anything special i need to know about replacing? Thx

·
Registered
208 Posts
Reactions: aalleoxn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Trubey.
What a mess. That was just like watching my wifes water break.
AA

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
It is a bit of trouble to change the oil filter on the 5.7. After struggling with that skid plate a couple of times I got smart and cut a 6" square hole under the filter housing and had a sheet metal shop weld 4 10 MM nuts on the backside of the skid plate. I cut a scrap piece of 16 ga ungalvanized sheet metal to cover the hole-had to form it a little to match the bend in the skid plate. Did the forming with a dead blow hammer and vise. Painted the cover plate black to match the skid plate. Smoothed all the edges to make it user friendly and oil filter changes are much easier. I got the idea from my son's old S10 Chevy truck.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Easier to lose the skid plate. I don't miss mine at all.

KO

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I dunno, I put my truck on my hoist and the hardest part was figuring out how to shift the skid plate to get it to unclip...

That is is, other than that I had no birthing of gargantuan or exxon valdez, was like an oil change on any vehicle... You pull the plug, it drains, you R&R filter, no biggie... I don't get how this becomes such a mess to many. Hell, the dealer had been pulling the entire filter housing instead of just the drain and I still didn't make a mess by pulling the entire housing then putting it in a vise to loosen the drain...
Hmmm...

Some people can fawk up an entire kitchen making oatmeal and toast, I have seen it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts