Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts

· Registered
2,918 Posts
The Good: There's a lot more room in a cap, it is easier to get into, you can lock it, and it holds snow load better.
The Bad: They are more expensive and if you have something that is too big to fit inside the cap it is a LOT more trouble to remove it.
The Ugly: Yes they are, but I have learned to live with that!

I have had the same style cap (ARE MX) on 3 trucks since 1996 and wouldn't consider going without one but I use my truck to haul stuff around for work every day.

· Registered
839 Posts
Subscribed, as I'm curious too. I will be getting something, as I do not want to shovel snow out of mine. Will likely get a tonno pro, as I'm cheap, and from what I've read good enough for what I need. But I'm still tempted to get a generic alunimum cap, something easy to remove, as I would likely not use it too much--except for camping. Which was the main reason to buy the truck in the first place! I don't think I would care to have the cap on all time, but I have to admit, if I found a great deal on one of the form fitting fiberglass ones I'd be tempted to do that, and use a trailer if I had to move something too tall.

· Registered
5,147 Posts
When I had my regular cab 95 Ranger I picked up a cheap aluminum contractor's cap and left it on there for a couple years. Had a ladder rack on it and everything. It came in use then because there was really no interior storage in the truck. Not even any space behind the seats.

With the Tundra I don't think I have encountered a situation where I wished I would have had one yet.

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Your truck will ride waaay better with the cap! I took mine off a couple weeks ago. It goes back on as soon as I find time.

Who would think 150 or so pounds would make such a big difference? All I know is on the freeway it is night and day. Of course visibility is compromised with the cap. If you are not good with side view mirrors, you will hate the cap. The tinted glass on the truck and the tinted glass on the cap makes your center rear view mirror all but useless. Another reason for a back up camera with the anytime option if I say so myself.

· Premium Member
3,971 Posts
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Mine came with my truck. Never liked them and would never buy one. Now I love the thing and the look really grew on me. Not many tundras around my parts with them. I think it looks a lot better on the truck since the lift and the rims blacked out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: 4dailyrunner

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I just purchased the Tonnu-Pro Tri-fold for $265. I didn't want to spend a ransom as I didn't know if I would like it or not. I'll report back on that one. I can't give up my rear window for a cap, even though the practicality would be pretty high.

Reactions: Bad Dad's Camrys

· Premium Member
3,971 Posts
^^^thats a good point. If I had a crewman with the full power window I wouldn't have a cap either. In the DC it's really not an issue.

· Registered
839 Posts
Good call on the Tonno-Pro. I've read good things about them, and would go that way myself. I might do that *and* get the cheapest cap I could find. Keeping an eye on CL so far, seen one or two Tundra-specific caps at most.

· Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Good call on the Tonno-Pro. I've read good things about them, and would go that way myself. I might do that *and* get the cheapest cap I could find. Keeping an eye on CL so far, seen one or two Tundra-specific caps at most.
Tell me about it. I've been looking for months. I can set up a pulley system in the garage to put on and take off the cap. I just don't want to spend the full $$$!! Starting with this cover I think is the right place to start.

· Registered
1,644 Posts
Like stated previously, the cap allows you to store more than a tonneau does. I had the ARE Z series on my Tacoma and loved it. When I moved to the Tundra, I decided on a lid. I haven't had any complaints about storage yet.

· Registered
123 Posts
Bed Cap

Pros - If your into outdoors stuff you can store pretty much anything in a cap, including you. I slept in mine several times trailering my jeep to various places. Sleep in a tent in the sand, mud, etc? Nope. Solar panel, inverter to run the bar blender and charge a tablet, some low voltage leds, and an aerobed - hell it was like the ******* hilton.

Cons - while the style is updated I still got comments from friends that asked my if my granddad let me borrow his truck..

Functional yes, pretty - meh.

Bed cover

Pros - Lockable, somewhat weather proof place for muddy gear or important things you don't want your local crack head to walk away with.

Cons - If something is bigger that that space your SOL.

· Registered
8,147 Posts
I think Bad Habits summed it up well. I would've gotten a cap if mine were a DC because of the pros he mentioned above. Mine is CM, so sleeping in it was out of question, unless I leave the gate open. Then why not just pitch a tent. So for small CM bed, a cap would not be as useful.

For marginal increase in utility, I was not willing to sacrifice the sliding rear window in my CM, one of the coolest features of CM.

I went with BAKFlip to be most flexible. When the item to be carried is large, then I could just flip one, two, or all of the panels open. The only time that my cover won't work is when I have to carry something large that needs to be dry. In that case, I will have to use some sort of vinyl cover to keep it dry. That, I figured, would be an easier solution than the solution required for the situation a cap could run into, having to carry something larger than a cap, dry or wet.

Reactions: TundraTigger

· Registered
11 Posts
I couldn't live without mine after having it. It's funny how no one wants one intill it starts raining cats and dogs on a trail. Then they all want to use yours. Call it an old man truck if you will, but its my truck. I leave looking cool up to the cool kids.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.