Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen too many folks with these on their rigs. Any thoughts? Was wondering if it would improve gas mileage. Also like the idea of some of the locking ones to give a little bit of covered protection.

I like the leer 700 fiberglass model, but I saw an older gen Tundra with one on at the dealer, and it seemed to be marking up the top of the truck's quarter panels. Wasn't sure if that was just the owner not taking care of his rig, or something that is typical.

The retracting into itself covers look pretty interesting. Pace edwards models?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do a search here and you'll find many threads on this subject.

I've used Undercover hard tonneau covers for years. Currently have two of them on a couple of Tundras. Best hard cover on the market, IMO. Tough, strong, light and secure.

However, they do not improve mileage at all. Multiple tests from multiple sources have proved this many times.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I liked the ARE LSII. Expensive ($1100) but worth it IMO. There are pics, in the accessory section.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a search here and you'll find many threads on this subject.

I've used Undercover hard tonneau covers for years. Currently have two of them on a couple of Tundras. Best hard cover on the market, IMO. Tough, strong, light and secure.

However, they do not improve mileage at all. Multiple tests from multiple sources have proved this many times.
Thanks for the tips....I'll look at all of these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a soft roll up cover on mine. It did get me 1 or so MPG, but most of all I like the "out of sight, out of mind" security it provides. I haul too much stuff to have a fiberglass cover. 2-3 times a week I roll up mine to haul a wheeler, or something like that. $400 is a lot easier to take too.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I haven't seen too many folks with these on their rigs. Any thoughts? Was wondering if it would improve gas mileage. Also like the idea of some of the locking ones to give a little bit of covered protection.

I like the leer 700 fiberglass model, but I saw an older gen Tundra with one on at the dealer, and it seemed to be marking up the top of the truck's quarter panels. Wasn't sure if that was just the owner not taking care of his rig, or something that is typical.

The retracting into itself covers look pretty interesting. Pace edwards models?
I have Xstang Black Max with rails. I prefer soft so I can use the bed at any time. Also Mythbusters proved that to be a myth. No improvement. I haven't notice any also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to look into where I read a couple of companies claims of saving MPG with these. See if there is any scientific proof from their perspective.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just curious, has anyone purchased or seen the LT or Lazer Lite aluminum tonneau covers?

I have been checking them out on the Web, and they look interesting. However, they are a little expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Diamondback aluminum cover, it is the best there is for toughness, you can put over 1000 pounds on top of it, tie stuff down, remove it completely in 5-10 min, remove it half way in 30 sec. Any gas milaeage increase from aerodynamics would be offset by the additional weight.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is the soft cover I got from Access. Like most covers, it has sliding type locks underneath on each side at the end where it meets the tail gate. The cover stays locked in placed with or without the gate down.When you want to open it, it folds up really neat to the back of the tool box and held there in place by straps. I didn't want to get a cheap cover and this one was recommended to accommodate the shorter length of the box due to the tool box.It had to be ordered as they didn't stock the shorter version. As for gas saving,it may cut down on some wind drag on the highway and may save you a few cents but I can't confirm that as I haven't done any tests with the box covered and uncovered.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Myth buster blew that study up. Only the airgate got better gas mileage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was cheap and used my Truxcito flush mount from my GMC Sierra. I paid roughly $500.00 smackers for that baby when it came out. All I had to was trim the front (cab side) bar 1/4" on each side and she fit like a champ. My boy just bought the same cover for about $350.00 installed. :( Times changed I guess. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mythbusters.....I must have missed that episode.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Mythbusters.....I must have missed that episode.
They used a dodge for this study. They tried with tail gate down/up tonneau soft/hard and a airgate. No difference in all above except the airgate got a couple of tenths a mile further. The test was for only 10 miles though doing 55.:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Bakflip cover. It installed easy and opens & closes easy. I had a canvas tonneau on a previous F250 but in the winter you couldn't fasten it due to shrinkage. There is also a kit to change the location of the Toyota accessory side rails, which I got, but I just took off the rails instead to get the Bakflip on quicker, due to laziness and it was about to rain.

I think it says somewhere that you can put 200 lbs on the bakflip but if I have that much, it goes inside. Unless it's 200 lbs of snow.

Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts