Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,147 Posts
In my opinion the tri-fold style hard covers come closest to offering the best of all worlds and that is what I will eventually replace my regular soft cover with.

Reactions: muzik and gdavie

· Registered
430 Posts
In my opinion the tri-fold style hard covers come closest to offering the best of all worlds and that is what I will eventually replace my regular soft cover with.
Definitely a tri fold is what you want. They are very easy to remove or just fold up out of the way for small loads. Some hard styles will even allow a load on top like a quad while you put stuff under that need protection. With the tailgate lock everything is kept safe too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
8,147 Posts
If security is your concern, go for a hard cover.

There are roughly three types:
1. hinged.
2. Folding
3. Rolling

I think color-matched hinged type looks the best.

I think functionally, 2,3 will be better since they don't require taking the cover off to carry larger items (most of time, anyway).

I think for colder weather, folding type would be better. I got BAKFlip F1 recently for all the reasons mentioned above. It could also withstand up to 500 lbs on top of it. I like it, but the other day, when we had wet snow and freezing weather, I couldn't open the cover. It was frozen solid. I did expect that it would be more suitable for colder weather. But then again, the rolling type would perhaps be worse under such situations.

Now I am thinking that the hinged type might be better for colder climate. Perhaps someone with hinged type could provide some input.

Reactions: gdavie

· Premium Member
699 Posts
I just put the Bak VP on mine and love it!

· Registered
176 Posts
I just put a Leer color-matched, solid, hinged cover on my truck. Love it. The truck looks so much better and have no worries about my belongings in the truck bed. Have a bed rug in the bed and the tonneau came with matching headliner. Totally awesome.

· Registered
52 Posts
Depends what your requirements are. If you want 100% waterproof cover don't get a folding one. None of the ones you listed are water tight. The only water tight ones are the solid hardcovers or the Diamondback folding covers. The Diamondback Tonneau covers are the only folding, locking covers that are 100% water tight and they run from 1000 to 1800 depending on the model you get. I wish I would have gotten a Diamondback HD but I didnt want to spend 1800 bucks on it. Undercover SE is on my truck and I like it a lot.

The Undercover SE is 100% water tight, secure, lockable, and easy to take off when I don't want it. Only negative is that you probably need two people to take it off and on. You can do it your self but you might scratch your paint on your truck.

· Registered
242 Posts
I have an ARE LSX Ultra color-matched hardcover on my truck and love it. Looks great, watertight, and secure. As mentioned a few posts above, all depends on your requirements.

· Registered
91 Posts
Well you didn't say CD or DC, if CM rolling is perhaps out as an option as they do eat a little space at the top front, some more than others.

I have a DC with a rolling bed cover from American Truck Covers and could not be happier, tiny area taken up and super easy to open/ retract. I can walk on top of it and practically waterproof, only a little leak at the tailgate which I could fix by sealing the gate. I camp others bed and this works very well to add security when needed, but not be a coffin when sleeping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.