Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on hard tonneau cover for their trucks? 4WheelOnline is offering it at such a reasonable price that I might think of getting one for my 2017 Toyota Tundra.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using A.R.E covers for decades on my trucks. Shaped to match the hood, paint color to match, lockable and strong enough to have a couple people to sit on.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Tundra Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red Tunes By: Taylor's Audio of Alma GA
9 Posts
Bjorg, I put a Gator TriFold (BaKFlip is the parent company) hard folding tonneau on my 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport Longbed and loved it.
My currant Tundra has the factory Toyota TriFold and its just as good, just harder to remove for open bed use.

RdKing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Extang Encore and a Toyota part PU100-3412S-15. The Toyota part is for lowering the OEM bed rail system and clamping parts. 10 pieces. Saves money over OEM Toyota cover (which appears to be made by Extang but does not appear to have the lock at the front of the bed).

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport Crewmax 4x4
2 Posts
I have the Bak Revolver X2. It’s an awesome cover, but it’s not great. For a thousand bucks I would have gotten something else. Fitment is a little finicky and it’s easy to get misaligned. Also the felt underneath is starting to come off, which is an easy fix and not a problem yet, but still. It’s about 2 years old now

·
Registered
61 Posts
OP,
Note: If you have the "Deck Rails" option on the bed, not all tonneau covers will fit properly and yet still allow full use & adjustability of the "tie down" clamps that are part of the deck rails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one and like the security and protection of the items in the bed of my truck, a 2011 crewmax. That said it definitely impedes the ability to use the truck was a truck especially with the 5 1/2 for bed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2010 Tundra. I had a BakFlip in four sections. It was great for the first 4 years. Then the core between the panels started to become soaked with water. I did everything to dry them out, but they got so heavy that I had to finally drill holes on the underside to let the water out. I contacted the company for suggestions and they informed me that it is “Not WaterProof” never stated it was waterproof. It finally got so heavy that it I had to get inside the bed to flip the panels back. I replaced it about a year ago with a cheaper folding one piece fabric cover. The amount of water that was trapped inside the panels was amazing. In addition to that, I had a problem keeping it black. I finally had to take it off and spray paint it. All I can say is it was great while for awhile. The best I had was a one piece aluminum cover on a F-150. I couldn’t find it any where.

·
Registered
2020 Tundra, TRD Sport, Rough Country lift, N-Fab Podium Steps, Boss HTX-V Plow
10 Posts
I bought a Bakflip F1 for a 2010 Tundra in 2011. Ran that truck 210,000 miles until last Sept when I traded it in for a 2020. I kept the Bakflip from the old Tundra and put it on the new one (direct fit). Its a great cover; the F1 model is Poly on top and aluminum underneath. Still looks great.

It's survived 10 New England winters, and a LOT of opening and closing because I'm constantly using the bed of the truck. It does leak a tiny bit now because the seals in between the panels have shifted a bit, but it still keeps 99% of the water out. Rain does not pass through it easily and I've been in some torrential down-pours. Most manufacturers will always say their cover is not waterproof simply because stuff will get wet from condensation alone.

Only gripe I've had all along it that it requires rails to sit on so you get that flush look from the side. I wouldn't give up that look as I think covers that sit on top of the bed sides look like crap, but I wish it didn't require the rails.

I did find a nice headache rack that will work with it from Aries (Switchback), which I'll be adding those on this month so I can add plow and reverse lights up high. I'm also adding some bedside boxes from SwingCase for storage under the cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3 pick-ups with bed covers, 2011 f150 with Extang hard tri-fold, 2017 F150 with soft tri-fold and 2018 Tundra with soft tri-fold. I would not do a hard cover again, the main reason is that they cost 4 or 5 times more than a soft cover. Only reasons to have one is you are able to sit or stand on it (which I have never done) and it is more secure, you can't get in it with a knife. I have had to paint the Extang a couple of times and most of the rubber seals are shot. Both soft covers have held up well, seal well and are much easier to remove and mount and can be done by one person. The hard covers are heavy, removing by yourself is not a problem but mounting is a lot of work by yourself.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Tundra LTD
461 Posts
This is the best option imo, Agricover lomax, nearly invisible, remove by yourself. Mounts above deck rails if you have then and allows the use of them. I had a bakflip rollx first and liked it until it started to fail, fall apart after three years. Found this lomax and I love it. Secure, very little water intrusion (car wash only bc of pressure I think), otherwise seals awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
on my 2010 CrewMax I have an Undercover hardtop. I've also had one on my Taco many years ago. I love it and you can even stand on it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any thoughts on hard tonneau cover for their trucks? 4WheelOnline is offering it at such a reasonable price that I might think of getting one for my 2017 Toyota Tundra.
I have a BakFlip on my 2017 CrewMax. I love the fact that I can open all the way, so I can easily use the whole bed, since it will fold up against the back of the cab and lock in place. This leaves about 4" of the bed covered. I would buy the BakFlip again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the Backflip MX4 and folding tool box. Easy install , tool box perfect for tie downs, jumper cable etc. aluminum panels fold up easy and secure the bed and good drain system keeps water out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts