Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey for you guys with campers. Curious if you ever figured out tongue weight? On my 5,280 lb fully loaded camper tongue weight is about 960 lbs.

I have a kitchen in the front so probably why my tongue weight is so heavy. Just wondering if I went to a bit larger trailer what the tongue weight could be. Curious if a larger camper would affect payload?

So if you have a camper what is overall loaded weight and tongue weight?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
That is over 18% tongue weight which is pretty darn high for a non-fifth wheel...is that camper pretty old or is that your actual tongue weight with propane, batteries, etc?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Camper is a 1998 Sunline. That is the actual weight of the camper fully loaded with supplies and there is a lot of storage in the front cabinets and battery/propane tanks too.

So agree high, but it is a real life number.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
You could probably get into a newer camper that weighs considerably more but has less tongue weight than your existing camper just because design has improved quite a bit. With that said, anytime you get to around 1000 pounds tongue weight you have a very good chance of being over GVWR after you add in people and gear in the truck. A WD hitch can transfer about 15-20% of the tongue weight off of the truck though and that will help considerably.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
been meaning to scale mine to find out exactly what mine is, but a semi educated guess is about 800 lbs and 6k on the trailer (with the WDH on, multiple times scaling), rear kitchen setup, but all my storage is upfront. My last scale with a dirtbike in the box and just me camping (I pack light) was 12,800 lbs (6680 truck/6100 trailer)

Yes it is heavy, sounds almost too heavy, do you have 6V golf cart batteries upfront? (common upgrade and they weigh a ton!) or is that weight before the WDH is on?

edit: have scaled my hitch @ 820 lbs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TV GVW hitched with no WD – TV alone GVW = tongue weight
7,240 - 6,280=960 lbs

Trip to the CAT scale showed me:

Ticket #1 - truck with no trailer: (truck had full tank of gas, 400 lbs of passengers and 75 lbs of tools/spare tire.)
Steer Axle - 3,580 lbs
Drive Axle - 2,700 lbs
Trailer Axle - 0 lbs
Gross Weight - 6,280 lbs

Ticket #2 - truck & trailer with NO WD hitch hooked up:
Steer Axle - 3,240 lbs
Drive Axle - 4,000 lbs
Trailer Axle - 4,320 lbs
Gross Weight - 11,560 lbs

Ticket #3 - truck & trailer with WD hitch hooked up:
Steer Axle - 3,560 lbs
Drive Axle - 3,480 lbs
Trailer Axle - 4,500 lbs
Gross Weight - 11,540 lbs

GVWR limit of truck is 7,150 lb by looking at sticker in door jam.
GVWR of truck is 7040 with WD hitch hooked up

GCWR spec from Toyota is 16k

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Like most people, the only number you need to watch is the weight of the truck. Your GCWR is still fine. A lot of people on here routinely exceed the GVWR of the truck, not my cup of tea and I won't get on my soapbox again, but it is done ALL THE TIME. Store as much weight in the rear of the camper as possible and you will be fine. It is more efficient (think MPG) to tow the weight rather than haul the weight anyway.

My camper is light, about 4000 pounds dry, and I have never gotten her weighed, but I know once I add in the two golf cart batteries and propane canisters even my light little campers tongue weight goes up quickly.

The rule I use when looking at campers is to add 15% to the published tongue weight of the camper, if using a WD hitch then that actually gives you about a 25-27% cushion to play with but when everything is loaded you generally are at that number even with the WD hitch.

TV GVW hitched with no WD – TV alone GVW = tongue weight
7,240 - 6,280=960 lbs

Trip to the CAT scale showed me:

Ticket #1 - truck with no trailer: (truck had full tank of gas, 400 lbs of passengers and 75 lbs of tools/spare tire.)
Steer Axle - 3,580 lbs
Drive Axle - 2,700 lbs
Trailer Axle - 0 lbs
Gross Weight - 6,280 lbs

Ticket #2 - truck & trailer with NO WD hitch hooked up:
Steer Axle - 3,240 lbs
Drive Axle - 4,000 lbs
Trailer Axle - 4,320 lbs
Gross Weight - 11,560 lbs

Ticket #3 - truck & trailer with WD hitch hooked up:
Steer Axle - 3,560 lbs
Drive Axle - 3,480 lbs
Trailer Axle - 4,500 lbs
Gross Weight - 11,540 lbs

GVWR limit of truck is 7,150 lb by looking at sticker in door jam.
GVWR of truck is 7040 with WD hitch hooked up

GCWR spec from Toyota is 16k

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like most people, the only number you need to watch is the weight of the truck. Your GCWR is still fine. A lot of people on here routinely exceed the GVWR of the truck, not my cup of tea and I won't get on my soapbox again, but it is done ALL THE TIME.
QUOTE]

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I feel I am good and am near topping out in GVWR. I planned it this way when I bought the truck and realized I was headed to a 1/2 ton truck from a 3/4 ton truck. I agree I want to stay within spec.

My question is just to see what others have experienced, as I may look into another camper down the road :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My TT weighs a little more than yours loaded (not including water) and my tongue might be 600 lbs. Can't believe how heavy yours is.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
hitch setup looks really good, pretty good weight return on the front axle

Reactions: markbrit

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts