Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I love XM radio.
I could not drive for a living without it.
I listen to it 11 hours everyday I work.
I have 2 radios (Tundra and work truck) and the online app on my subcription.

Nowhere else can I hear Bennington, Jason Ellis, Nick Dipaolo, and the other comedy talk shows I listen to everyday.
I also like a lot of the music channels, Altnation, Outlaw Country, Octane, turbo, and many others.

If you looking for variety, go for it.
But if you're looking exclusively for sound quality, look elsewhere.
While some songs sound great, others don't sound all that good.

You should be able to get a few months for free and try it out..

Reactions: JCLtundra

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been doing the 5 month for $25 cancellation threat thing for 6 1/2 years now. It's annoying to call every 5 months but worth the savings. Just make sure you cancel if you want to drop it, they will put you in collections if you just stop paying. They are as bad as a 1990's internet provider about subscription contracts.

oh, and never give them a credit card, have them invoice you and pay by check

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
I have been doing the 5 month for $25 cancellation threat thing for 6 1/2 years now. It's annoying to call every 5 months but worth the savings. Just make sure you cancel if you want to drop it, they will put you in collections if you just stop paying. They are as bad as a 1990's internet provider about subscription contracts.

oh, and never give them a credit card, have them invoice you and pay by check

I've been doing the same thing since I bought my truck 12/2013. Yeah it's a PITA to have to remember to call every 6 months, but I like it enough to do so.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Def not worth $15-$20 a month...I do the something @frndrfoe does.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
I do the same thing, get either the 5 month or 6 month promo.

I do give them my cc info, however that seems to get hacked often enough that you get a free month or so before they shut it off, then call and get back into the promo.

In all fairness, IF I drove a lot, I would be willing to pay full price. But I don't drive enough.

If they were to have a way to monitor usage, I would be in the 20 minutes of driving per day plan.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
XM is a funny company. The whole radio is so bad in my truck I never turn it on, it hurts my ears etc.

XM must know you never turn it on. They gave me 12 months free and then even tried again in the third year; they never did believe me...that I never turn the thing on.

The only sound I use on the JBL StinkTune is the cell phone calls. I do use navigation; but it seldom works.

I did sing for my wife; but she tells me I am flat. So I have stopped singing too.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Im slowly weening myself away from XM, and they are a pain to deal with - TIME CONSUMING-every time you call to update accout to another vehicle. My next Tundra I wont renew - just too expensive anymore and can play from phone or stream from amazon music.
I had Four devices and now just Two.

*Too cancel you have to call and talk too a manager and Ive never been hassled its just wasted time vs just already being logged onto your account and being able to push a button and be done!
Plus I live where areas I drive are heavily wooded = no signal.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I usually do the 12 months for $99 promo. Can't remember to call and cancel every 5 months and they have my CC info. Just auto renewed 2 weeks ago...got an alert from my CC company that $280 had been charged to XM. Called them to cancel it (they will cancel and prorate the refund by day), and they gave me the $99 promo rate and refunded the balance from the $280. Now I'll put it in my phone to call a week before it auto renews. Then get a new phone and somehow lose the calendar appointment and have to do it all over next year. Oh well. I get it just mainly because it's there. I like having another 2-4 stations per genre to flick through. But that's about it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I was just talking with a coworker about this. I think the quality has gone down hill in the past few months. Country station used to have a good amount of variety - listening to it this AM on my computer I've heard several stations repeat.

I like having the NFL radio but it has ads so I can just listen to local sports talk for free instead. I don't think I'll renew.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've been doing the $99 a year promo for awhile now. I call and cancel a few days before the subscription renews and then they offer me the same deal. Is a pain to have to constantly do this. I also do the same thing with Direct TV.

I read once that XM is not in stereo but is in mono sound

I usually do the 12 months for $99 promo. Can't remember to call and cancel every 5 months and they have my CC info. Just auto renewed 2 weeks ago...got an alert from my CC company that $280 had been charged to XM. Called them to cancel it (they will cancel and prorate the refund by day), and they gave me the $99 promo rate and refunded the balance from the $280. Now I'll put it in my phone to call a week before it auto renews. Then get a new phone and somehow lose the calendar appointment and have to do it all over next year. Oh well. I get it just mainly because it's there. I like having another 2-4 stations per genre to flick through. But that's about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah... if its like dealing with a cable company... I'm not a fan. I really like the comedy stations on it and the classic country.. but I can get those on pandora/other sources and play thru bluetooth for free. Thanks all for the advice!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Canadians get shit mobile data plans, so I play the 5-month promo game. I have to call to cancel in December. I listen to maybe 4 channels on rotation. I just don't drive enough, nor do I have enough music interest, to make it worth more.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Canadians get shit mobile data plans, so I play the 5-month promo game. I have to call to cancel in December. I listen to maybe 4 channels on rotation. I just don't drive enough, nor do I have enough music interest, to make it worth more.
This ^^^.

My 2017 Tundra came with a 90 day complimentary XM subscription. I let it expire and MY OH MY did they go nutz on e-mails and hard copy snail mail crap trying to get me to sign up. After 3 months I opened up a particularly curious looking mailing from them. In it was a nicely laid out, heavily graphiced, listing of all their approx 147 channels. So I circled the ones I would definitely listen to and the ones I might listen to. So I had 7 I would definitely listen to and about 5 I might. That's 12 out of their promotion-push 147. Dear Gawd. Really? How about give me the 12 for a vastly reduced priced XM?????

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This ^^^.

My 2017 Tundra came with a 90 day complimentary XM subscription. I let it expire and MY OH MY did they go nutz on e-mails and hard copy snail mail crap trying to get me to sign up. After 3 months I opened up a particularly curious looking mailing from them. In it was a nicely laid out, heavily graphiced, listing of all their approx 147 channels. So I circled the ones I would definitely listen to and the ones I might listen to. So I had 7 I would definitely listen to and about 5 I might. That's 12 out of their promotion-push 147. Dear Gawd. Really? How about give me the 12 for a vastly reduced priced XM?????
Exactly! Ive been off work for Six weeks and my cable sucks for what it cost, most channels are crap!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.