Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my new to me 14 Tundra DC SR5 XP and I am debating keeping the entune system adding amp sub and Focal front components. But was wondering if changing headunit do you lose the vehicle customization ability to do door lock settings and lights settings. I know those are things that once there set you should be good and might be offset by being able to monitor individual TPMS info.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
i read through the reviews on this product... very mixed results.
I can tell you that it works flawlessly with my Pioneer NEX 4200 in my 2014 Tundra. It isn't cheap, but it provides all the functionality it claims. My guess is that some of the reviews that are mixed might be for other vehicle/head unit combinations that provide more limited functionality.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Thanks
Everything should be here tomorrow for the install. Decided to pull the factory head and install pioneer 4201nex with the maestro module.
So how did it go?
I'm tempted to replace my Kenwood DDX9903S with a pioneer 4201nex if it gets rid of that fu(king startup warning (that I have to touch) every time I start the truck.:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything went well except for the micro bypass install acting up. It ties to the remote wire but would not operate correctly unless I removed the remote wire to amp connection. Fortunately my JL amp doesn't need a remote wire to trigger on. Took a little time to figure that issue out and was a bit frustrating not being able to get into the settings
I had a kenwood DDX6902S in my tacoma and would have preferred the kenwood 9904s over the pioneer but i couldn't pass up the 4201nex for $335. Same as the 4200 but comes with a camera that I mounted to the front. I never had a problem with the start up warning on the 6902, it would go away after a couple seconds.
Now I'm trying to figure out speaker options. Already have JL XD700/5 amp installed, JL power wedge with a 10TW3 installed, JL TR650-CXi rears and also have some JL C2-690X that I'm not sure if i want to install or do components, afraid they will lower the soundstage.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I'd recommend components.
I put Focal PS165FX in my front doors and disconnected all 3 dash speakers.

You can get JBL tweeter sails for your component tweeters, if your truck doesn't have them.
You might have to do a little fabrication to fit them in there..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why do people disconnect the dash speakers when they go with component door speakers? Im gonna upgrade my front door speakers and stock amp eventually, but would like to keep the dash speakers also. Can’t you just upgrade the dash speakers and add high pass crossover capacitors to them?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Why do people disconnect the dash speakers when they go with component door speakers? Im gonna upgrade my front door speakers and stock amp eventually, but would like to keep the dash speakers also. Can’t you just upgrade the dash speakers and add high pass crossover capacitors to them?
Not sure what year your truck is but:
2014 and ^ on a non JBL system, the dash speakers run straight off the HU.
The doors run off the front passenger underseat amp.

I had the dash speakers connected to the HU with my amped 2-way front door components at first.
But the problem for me was the dash speakers were too 'in your face' with no way to fade them from the front door speakers.
I even tried bypassing the side dash speakers and just had the center connected, but it was still too loud compared to the amped door speakers.
But also my Focal PS165FX front door components provide a very nice front stage presence without the dash speakers at all.
So in my case, my setup sounds better with the dash speakers disconnected.

BTW, those dash speakers already have capacitors on them.
Left is side dash, right is center.

Side..

Center dual coil...

Reactions: Mountaingamer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am pretty deep in the install at this point.
Installed some nvx xsp65 6.5”( sb acoustics) in the deadened door and now I’m experimenting with the sb acoustics tweeter in the dash location. I have installed the sail panels with tweeter location and have some aura mr tweeters installed there. Yes I am only running one set at a time for testing. I might focus on the sail panel tweets tomorrow as I spent most of the day eq’ing the dash tweets. I have a pioneer 4200 running to a JL twk88 to a xd700/5 amp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.