• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,

I need advice. I am looking at selling my 2010 Double Cab for a 2014 CrewMax. My 2010 double cab has the sport bumpers, parking sensors, 2wd, 5.7, screen with bluetooth/nav/dvd, and 35k miles. Someone wants to buy it for $24k. Went looking and the new 2014 Crewmax TRD 2wd 5.7 is $34k, after ttl $37k. Need advice!! I'm including a pic of my DC vs the trucks I looked at! Any input would help!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If I was your financial adviser, I would say, think about it, think about it, and then forget it.

You got a 2010 with only 35k miles. The truck looks very nice. Obviously, not used for high mileage per year.

So unless you really WANT a new truck, keep the baby you own, and invest all the money you will save and/or pay off debt.

No cost for the advice either..;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree if your truck is paid for keep it. If you want to spend some cash a sc would be a kick ars addition to your truck.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Why?

I have no trouble passing by 14s, knowing most are sitting on 4 years of payments. I bought a Toyota because of resale. I'm betting you did too. Unless you are able to not bat an eye at 15k, keep your money and enjoy the truck.

all new trucks will be used trucks. What is 4 years to a Toyota? Not much.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I will play Devil's advocate. Removing the money aspect as I don't know your situation, the biggest thing is the difference between the CM and DC. The CM makes the truck much more useful for what people use trucks for most now ie: family car. I looked at 13s and 14's. Despite what a lot of these guys say, the 14 is much improved. Rides better, smoother, more refined. Don't get me wrong, the 07-13s are a great truck. So from a pure desire point of view, hell yea get the 14. In reallity for most of us, hell no, you've already got a nice rig. If you got the disposable $$ you will love the new CrewMax.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you really need a crewmax do it. Other wise why?
Your truck works fine sure the 14 may have a newer interior. 14's are kinda ugly... Same old drive train. Just a lot of money out of your pocket. If you can live without the CM until they update some more important things I would lean that way.
You have aftermarket rims which I assume you like?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wait at least 'til the 2015's come out.TRD Pro might turn yer head.If not the TRD Pros then wait for next generation to come out.You might have more options then.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks y'all for the advice, I'm going to do the smart thing and hold onto the DC. It's tough not jumping into something new but..most likely the smartest thing to do. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I voted to buy the black CM. I had a perfectly good 2010 Double Cab, until some drunk lady hit it on Christmas Eve a little over a year ago. Long story short, it wasn't totaled, but it wasn't my baby any more by any means. We had just had a little guy, and with him riding in the backseat, backwards facing-mom wasn't very happy in the front seat and I'm way too tall to move the seat up ANY (6'4) while driving. So we weren't comfy to begin with. When we started looking I barely considered anything other than another Tundra. My only stipulation was it had to be a CM. We got a 13 black CM XSP-X (look it up)! I haven't regretted it once. We still owed about 10k for the 2010, got 22 for it (only paid 24 for it brand new). So we had a nice down payment and my wife is a dealer killer. We got a 43k truck talked down OTD to $34K, then we put our 10k down and drove off the lot with a CM tundra for the same amount financed as a DC 3 years earlier. I would've kept the DC if not for the accident.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Thanks y'all for the advice, I'm going to do the smart thing and hold onto the DC. It's tough not jumping into something new but..most likely the smartest thing to do. Thanks for all the advice.
Good decision. Take whatever that new 14 was going to cost you every month and add it to whatever you're saving for retirement or emergency fund or your kids college fund. You'll be happy you did later!

:D

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
After my last couple vehicle purchases I had come to the conclusion that to get better prices I will buy brand new towards the end of design cycles rather than pay the 'first on the block' tax to have something that will be much more heavily discounted in 2-3 years. And in case the next generation looks good enough to make me change my mind I have the option to either snap up a leftover or wait a couple months for the new one to hit the lots. So my next purchase should fall somewhere around 2019-2020 when just about everything will be due to be re-done.

But then I can live with not having the newest thing out there. Not everyone can.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Keep the '10!

The '14 doesn't offer anything significant to justify the upgrade, IMO. You don't seem like you're in a rush to upgrade. If you really want to, wait for the '15. Who knows, Toyota might surprise us with something a little more, not counting the Tundra Pro. And 35K miles are not a lot. Enjoy it a little more! Your '10 looks very nice!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Smart advice in here so far. Here's mine....I became vehicle payment free about a month ago, after being a slave to the banks and vehicle debt for the past 15 years :yikes: .....and I plan on never financing a vehicle again. My neighbor/buddy is in his late 60's (I'm 30 years younger than him). He just made his last truck payment a few months ago, then he took out a home equity loan to pay for new roof shingles. (A few grand?)

Smart financial decisions made at an early age will pay huge dividends later in life...at least I hope that crap is true, cuz I've just started with making the smart decisions, after making all the stupid ones for the past 15 years. I'll eat a damn gun if I have to take an equity line when I'm in my 60's, for a few $k, just to keep a roof over my head :lol: Keep the truck. :thumbsup:

I try to pay attention, and what I've noticed is that some of the financially savvy/successful are the guys in here who are still driving their Gen 1 Tundras...coincidence?

Misery loves company, right? So, are the payment free guys miserable and want you to join in on their misery? Or are the paycheck to paycheckers miserable and want you to stay with them? That's for you to decide I reckon...

Keep the truck, it'll last you 15 more years easy :D
Payment free doesn't mean the truck isn't costing you anything. You must take into consideration the inherent devaluation in owning any vehicle.

His truck isn't worth anymore now than it is RIGHT NOW. Selling it right now.... would give him the most money to pay against something that he wants. Next year. I will be less. The next... it will be less...You have to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Don't get anything. Lock your 2010 in a museum close by...... go see every once in a while... and tell yourself...

The 14s aren't any better. All those people out there buying 14s don't know what they are doing. They're just stupid.

Anyway.... everyone is getting less 10 mpg out of their 14 Tundra but me... But what do I know.... :lol5:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Keep the '10!

The '14 doesn't offer anything significant to justify the upgrade, IMO. You don't seem like you're in a rush to upgrade. If you really want to, wait for the '15. Who knows, Toyota might surprise us with something a little more, not counting the Tundra Pro. And 35K miles are not a lot. Enjoy it a little more! Your '10 looks very nice!
Disregarding all the sound financial advice, I think this is a good answer in regards to the truck. The 14' just has cosmetic improvements. Wait for the Pro or the 15' Tundra.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Solid advice here. Good call.
I too was thinking about trading my truck (2010, w/ 25k miles) in but screw that, I wanna be financially free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts