Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nautical Blue, 2011 DC. I ordered the Iron Cross HD steps. They come in black, but I'm thinking of having them powder coated to match the truck. Just leave the chrome step plates chrome. My buddy suggest to just install them black, but I just don't know.

Opinions?

I've already lifted and had bigger tires put on, so the steps would be useful now. And I'm still looking for a local powder coater.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have MB Strykers, black and chrome. I just keep thinking that putting black steps on her would be like putting a black hood on her....... Maybe I'll just put a step on jack stands next to her to see how she looks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another suggestion would be to LineX them. There are places that can color match the compound to the applied areas to body color or whatever you want.
I had my steps, and skid plate done. Works awesome, and will never corrode. You may end up getting stone chips and such into the powder coating being where they are situated on the steps, and then it'll start to go bad from there.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Powder coat or Line X color matched. Gonna do that with nfab bumper. Leave step plate SS. It will add contrast and give your truck depth. I know it sounds like art but our trucks are a Masterpiece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I would color match the step and PC the plate black along with all the screws. If the PC place can't get it perfectly match your truck color you can always paint to match. I did it to my steps over a year ago without any problem.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I would color match the step and PC the plate black along with all the screws. If the PC place can't get it perfectly match your truck color you can always paint to match. I did it to my steps over a year ago without any problem.

So you color matched with Powder Coating? I want to have the same finish (color, texture, gloss, etc) on my Expedition One rear bumper as the stock black paint on my truck. Can a good powder coater accomplish that, or should I have it painted?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
So you color matched with Powder Coating? I want to have the same finish (color, texture, gloss, etc) on my Expedition One rear bumper as the stock black paint on my truck. Can a good powder coater accomplish that, or should I have it painted?
Gloss black is easy for the powder coat. You only paint when the PC place can't match your truck color.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Gloss black is easy for the powder coat. You only paint when the PC place can't match your truck color.
Thanks for the reply. I had a Sequoia front sway bar coated to match the new TRD rear sway and the color match was not spot on. I also had some other suspnsion parts coated gloss black and they do not exactly match the factory body paint. I want the bumper to look as factory as possible and match as well as the Rock Warrior front bumper. Maybe I need to try a different powder coating shop. I'll research further.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had a Sequoia front sway bar coated to match the new TRD rear sway and the color match was not spot on. I also had some other suspnsion parts coated gloss black and they do not exactly match the factory body paint. I want the bumper to look as factory as possible and match as well as the Rock Warrior front bumper. Maybe I need to try a different powder coating shop. I'll research further.
Bring your truck to the shop and ask them to color match. If they can't do it, paint the part using the color code from your truck. As for the sway bar, David coach builder PC the end links on my TRD rear sway bar after he finished extending it and the color is perfectly match.

BTW, when I said paint, not just paint the darn thing. If your bumper is bare metal you need to PC it first then paint to match. That is what I did to both of my front and rear chrome bumpers. As for the steps. It is already PC. All they have to do is sand it down a bit and paint to match.

·
Registered
189 Posts
BTW, when I said paint, not just paint the darn thing. If your bumper is bare metal you need to PC it first then paint to match. That is what I did to both of my front and rear chrome bumpers. As for the steps. It is already PC. All they have to do is sand it down a bit and paint to match.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to thread jack.....

Do you have a link to your bumper mod or any more info on powder coating your chrome bumpers?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Reactions: TatorSalad
1 - 12 of 12 Posts